ABB at A level to include biology and another
science (preferably chemistry – but will consider Maths, Physics,
Psychologcy, Sociology, Geography, geology, Environmental science). Excludes general studies.
(Extended project will be counted if nutrition related subject – this will be considered at confirmation)
5 GCSEs grade C or above to include mathematics, English and science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application. Please note the institution will also accept Functional Skills Level 2 (Numeracy) as an equivalent qualification to the GCSE Mathematics qualification.
PLUS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
31 points overall to include High Level 5 in biology and another science (preferably chemistry). English accepted within - if Advanced Level = 4+ (A1) or 5 (A2/B) - if Standard Level = 5+ (A1) or 6 (A2/B) - if overseas and not studying English within IB – must have IELTS at 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in all elements.
Pass a named science based Access to HE Diploma with at least 45 credits at level 3, 30 at distinction level, preferably with 15 credits in biology and 15 credits in second science (preferably chemistry, but other credit weightings will be considered). A further 15 credits at Level 3 must be at merit level. Must have GCSE English and Mathematics grade C /4 or above.
18 Unit BTEC National Diploma/QCF Extended Diploma: DDD (DDM) must contain strong biology and second science module (preferably chemistry) components. Preferably studying an A Level alongside where possible.
BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital
that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have
studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to
process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in
the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the
full list of modules including their credit rating within your qualification
at the time of application.
Equivalent qualifications may be considered. Alternatively if you have
any questions or concerns about meeting the entry requirements listed above we
would encourage you to contact the Admissions Team on 01752 585858
where a member of the team can offer
For a full list of all acceptable qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary
Already have a science based degree? Ask us about direct entry into
We consider each individual application on its merits.
- In addition to the above, evidence of academic study within the last five years is required.
- You must pass disclosure and barring service and occupational health checks satisfactorily in order to be able to start this course
- If English is not your first language and you do not have GCSE English grade C or above you will have to achieve an IELTS or equivalent qualification at the grades stated below.
- IELTS – 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in all elements (if you need to improve your English language to get onto a degree course at Plymouth University, you can book a pre-sessional academic English course).
- Meeting the academic minimum is the first stage of an application being considered. Applicants must also submit a strong personal statement in order to be considered further.
Deferred entry is not physically possible for us (but we can waive your interview in the next cycle if you have already been interviewed successfully this cycle).