Plymouth campus
To be accepted onto a degree course with us (or if you are issued with a CAS to study as a visiting student or exchange student) you must have a suitable English language qualification. The pages below show the minimum English language requirements for standard courses at RQF 6 (degree level) and above. 
If you don't meet these requirements you may be able to join one of our pre-sessional courses. Visit the English Language Centre pages for more information. 
Some courses have English language requirements that differ to those shown below, please check the relevant course page for more details. 
Please note that these requirements apply to international students (students with a non-EU nationality). If you are an EU student we will inform you about English language requirements as part of your admission process. 

SELTs and non-SELTs

Please note the following:
The following Secure English Language tests (SELTs) are Home Office (UKVI) approved and accepted by the University of Plymouth and the University of Plymouth International College (UPIC). The scores required have been increased from the UKVI minimum specified scores to meet University requirements. 
  • IELTS (Academic)
  • Trinity College London ISE (only a SELT if taken in the UK)
  • Pearson PTE Academic
A SELT must be taken at an approved UKVI centre.

The other tests and qualifications listed here have been deemed acceptable by the University of Plymouth and UPIC to meet our entry requirements and UKVI requirements for study at RQF 6 and above. 
Please note that these tests and qualifications are not SELTs.
When studying on a pre-sessional course or course below RQF 6, a SELT is a mandatory requirement set by UKVI. 
If studying at RQF 6 level and above, the University is permitted to accept other qualifications that we deem meet UKVI and our requirements.

Non-standard English language requirements

Please note that this page shows the University of Plymouth’s standard English Language requirements. We have several programmes that require a higher level of English Language, these tend to be in the following subject areas: health professions, nursing, midwifery, medicine and dentistry, creative writing, English literature and other postgraduate English courses. 
Please ask our Admissions team for details of these requirements if you are applying for a course in one of these subject areas. 


We will accept Reifeprufung/Matura – English of Grades 1–2.


We will accept Bevis for Studentereksamen (STX) – English of Grades 12–7.

We will accept Bevis for Hojere Forberedelseseksamen (HF) – English of Grades 12–7.

We will accept Bevis for Hojere Handelseksamen (HHX) – English of Grades 12–7.


We will accept Cambridge English: C1 Advanced if taken instead of the English state exam.


We will accept Option International du Baccalaureat (OIB) – Overall grade 12.
Baccalauréat Général is also accepted at minimum grade 16.
The grades required are from the English Language subject, not the qualification overall.


We will accept GCSE English language grade C or A level English language grade C (awarded by UK examining bodies).

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory; residents may still be subject to immigration control in the UK if they do not hold a British citizen passport.


We will accept Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur – English of Grades 15–10, provided it has been taken as a Hauptfach/Leistungskurs/Kurs mit erhohtem Anforderungsniveau.


We will accept a Leaving Certificate – English of Grades O1–O4 or H1–H7 2017 and later or Ordinary Level A1–C4 or Higher Level A1-D3 up to and including 2016.

There is no UKVI requirement as Irish nationals do not need a visa to live or study in the UK after Brexit, but University English language requirements may still apply, i.e., at undergraduate entry level.


We will accept Secondary Education Certificate – English of Grades 1–5.

We will accept Matriculation Certificate Examination (MATSEC) – English of Grades A–E at both Intermediate and Advanced levels.


We will accept Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) – English of Grades 10–8.


We will accept Diploma de Bacalaureat – English with 2 scores at B2 and 3 scores at B1.


Slutbetyg fran Grundskolan is not accepted.

We will accept Slutbetyg fran Gymnasieskola (studentexamen) – English of Grades A–C/MVG-VG/20–15 when studied as an English C subject.

We will accept Hogskoleforberedande Examen – English of Grades A–C when studied as an English 7 subject.


We will accept Studentsprof – English of Grades 10–9.


We will accept Vitnemal fra den videregaende skole – English of Grades 6–4 (this qualification was phased out in the 1990s and replaced with the below).

We will accept Vitnemal for videregaende opplaering – English of Grades 6–4.

The validity period of qualifications accepted

Degrees awarded in the UK or in majority English language speaking countries (as defined by UKVI) will be accepted as meeting our standard English language entry requirements. Normally, these should have been awarded no more than three years prior to your course start date at Plymouth.
IELTS academic tests (SELTs and non-SELTs) should also have been taken no more than three years before the start date of your degree programme at Plymouth.
IELTS academic tests (SELTs, taken at UKVI approved test centres) should have been taken within two years of the date your CAS is issued for pre-sessional studies at Plymouth. This is a UKVI requirement.
Notes on paper, credit:  shironosov, courtesy of Getty Images

Please select a qualification for more information