112 - 128
112 - 128 depending upon route of entry
All applicants require at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above. These must include mathematics, English and science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application. Please note the institution may consider equivalent numeracy and literacy qualifications.
The normal entry requirement for A levels are 128 UCAS points (e.g. ABB). The minimum entry requirement for A level is 112 UCAS points (e.g. BBC). These A levels must include study of Biology/Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Applied Science
some instances, an A level in Physical Education may be an appropriate
No UCAS credits are given to A levels in general studies.
BTEC National Diploma
For BTEC, the minimum entry requirements are three distinctions (DDD). Study must contain units covering sufficient biology and/or chemistry (unless supplemented by an A-level in biology).
Access to Higher Education
The minimum entry requirements are 45 credits from a relevant access course (eg. health, nursing, science, etc). Of these, 30 must be at distinction (to include 15 credits in biology, Physics and/or chemistry). The remaining 15 credits must be at merit or above.
The minimum entry requirements for the IB are 30 points. These must include five at higher level in biology and/or chemistry.
If overseas and not studying English within IB, must have an overall average score of at least 7.0, with a score of at least 6.5 in each element
Extended entry requirements
In addition to the above, acceptance depends on a number of other factors:
- Applicants must have undertaken academic study within the last five years.
- Applicants must also submit a strong personal statement in order to be considered.
- Before any offer can be made, successful applicants are interviewed as part of a values based recruitment process.
- All applicants for professional health programmes must undergo additional screening to ensure their suitability. Screening includes assessment of disclosure and barring service (DBS) status; as well as occupational health checks. Occupational health assessments ensure that applicants are fit to fulfil the demands of placements. As students undertake ‘exposure prone procedures’, successful applicants must be vaccinated against a number of diseases.
- If English is an applicant’s second language, and they do not have a GCSE in English at grade C/4 or above, an IELTS qualification is required. A minimum average IETLS score of 7.0 if required, with a score of at least 6.5 required in each element. If applicants need to improve their English language to access the course, the University of Plymouth offer pre-sessional academic English courses.
- English language requirements
- We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
If you have achieved certificated learning in addition to the entry criteria required for your programme of study, it may be possible to accredit this learning towards your chosen course. Full details on how to make an application are available on our open access MOODLE site (download details on how to access the site and submit your claim and supporting evidence). Your application will then be assessed and you will receive confirmation by email on the status of your claim.
Unfortunately we cannot permit deferred entry. However, if you have a query please refer to an experienced admissions administrator who will be able to explain the UCAS application process in more detail email@example.com
International Application Deadline
Due to this programme requiring applicants to have an interview and meet non-academic conditions, the deadline for international applications is 30th June 2021 for September 2021 entry.