Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Innovators for a sustainable ocean: World Ocean Week 2020
As the United Nations put the global spotlight on ‘innovation for a sustainable ocean’, the University’s Marine Institute reflected on the innovative approaches our researchers take towards sustainable marine resource management.
From offshore renewable energy to coastal resilience, the National Marine Park to plastics, we reflected on our role in securing a healthier, protected future for our oceans.
During the week, a number of our marine conservation researchers led events that brought together global experts to inform future policy recommendations.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize for pioneering research on marine microplastics pollution and its impact on the environment and changing behaviour
Nearly two decades of world-leading research into the effects of marine plastics on our environment by Plymouth researchers, led by Professor Richard Thompson OBE, has received the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a higher education institution.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Projects, people and papers
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
Research activity by school
- Promises found to reduce cheating in large study of adolescents 3 August 2020
- 40% of dementia cases could be prevented or delayed by targeting 12 risk factors throughout life 30 July 2020
- Coastal cities leave up to 75% of seafloor exposed to harmful light pollution 30 July 2020
- Scientists publish seminal study into impact of nanoparticles on living species 27 July 2020
- University expert contributes to global report into plastic threats to the ocean 23 July 2020
Upcoming academic and research events
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 12 August 2020 11:00 - 11:45
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 26 August 2020 11:00 - 11:45
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 9 September 2020 00:00 - 11:45
- Laboratory Tour 9 September 2020 16:00 - 18:00
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 16 September 2020 11:00 - 11:45