Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
R&D Solutions Fund
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.
Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK.
The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
- £1.7million project enhances University’s expertise in electron microscopy 1 March 2021
- Professor receives national award for excellence in transplantation 24 February 2021
- Plastic recycling results in rare metals being found in children’s toys and food packaging 17 February 2021
- Managing crab and lobster catches could offer long-term benefits to fishermen and the environment 15 February 2021
- Drugs used to treat HIV and flu can have detrimental impact on crops 28 January 2021
Upcoming academic and research events
- South West Marine Ecosystems: Marine Protected Areas and Management Webinar 3 March 2021 10:00 - 12:15
- Adventures in Posthumanism 2020-21 3 March 2021 14:00 - 15:30
- Earthquake chasing around the world 5 March 2021
- South West Marine Ecosystems: Plastics Webinar 9 March 2021 13:00 - 14:30
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 10 March 2021 11:00 - 11:45