Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
Creative contributions to research
Broadening, enhancing and underpinning the scope of our Strategic Institutes are active collaborations with researchers across the
arts, humanities and business.
- Scientists continue work to establish the fate and impact of tyre wear particles in the environment 20 September 2023
- Rivers contain hidden sinks and sources of microplastics 20 September 2023
- Showcasing the University's expertise at London International Shipping Week 14 September 2023
- University contributes to major report examining changes needed in the global maritime industry 13 September 2023
- £5.4million project aims to develop world’s largest network of electric workboats 13 September 2023
Upcoming academic and research events
- Digital Flow/s: interdisciplinary digital arts and humanities practice-based research 23 September 2023 09:00 - 17:30
- Digital Flow/s: interdisciplinary digital arts and humanities practice-based research 22 September 2023 - 24 September 2023
- Peninsula Medical School Seminar Series 25 September 2023 16:00 - 17:00
- On the border: Cell and tissue surfaces in health and disease – Professor Simon Whawell 26 September 2023 18:30 - 20:30
- South Coast Bottlenose Dolphin Research and Monitoring Evening 27 September 2023 17:30 - 21:30