Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
Creative contributions to research
Broadening, enhancing and underpinning the scope of our Strategic Institutes are active collaborations with researchers across the arts, humanities and business.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Research Festival 2022
- From the classroom to the ward round – what’s it like being a doctor after medical school? 27 May 2022
- Researcher receives prestigious award for environmental toxicology research 13 May 2022
- Reform to Mental Health Act must prompt change in support for families 11 May 2022
- £1m to unite generations in developing technologies for coastal communities 11 May 2022
- Supporters welcomed back to see University’s pioneering research into brain tumours 5 May 2022
Upcoming academic and research events
- Adventures in Posthumanism 2021-22 1 June 2022 14:00 - 15:30
- Fatherhood Forfeits at Work 8 June 2022 12:30 - 13:30
- Future Plymouth 2030 8 June 2022 16:00 - 18:00
- University of Plymouth Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business 2022 Doctoral Conference 9 June 2022 - 10 June 2022
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 13 June 2022 - 15 June 2022