Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
R&D Solutions Fund
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.
Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK.
The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
- Forgotten voices at the heart of new UK food research project 28 December 2020
- University granted consent for iconic new engineering and design facility 17 December 2020
- Researchers to investigate Quantum Computing for the music industry 14 December 2020
- New 3D, 360-degree lab tour explores vital brain tumour research 11 December 2020
- Sustainability under the spotlight in collaborative research project for the creative industries 10 December 2020
Upcoming academic and research events
- Health Infrastructure Plan (HIP) 2 - University consultation events 18 January 2021 11:00 - 13:00
- Health Infrastructure Plan (HIP) 2 - University consultation events 19 January 2021 11:00 - 13:00
- Health Infrastructure Plan (HIP) 2 - University consultation events 20 January 2021 12:00 - 14:00
- Adventures in Posthumanism 2020-21 20 January 2021 14:00 - 15:30
- Health Infrastructure Plan (HIP) 2 - University consultation events 21 January 2021 11:00 - 13:00