Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
G7: Examining the evidence for global action
On 11 June 2021, G7 leaders and invited guests meet in Carbis Bay, Cornwall, UK to explore solutions to some of the greatest global challenges and, united through shared values, take decisive action.
Facing a climate emergency while still in the midst of a global pandemic and its resultant economic devastation – many look to the G7 to understand where do we go from here? We asked Plymouth researchers, leaders in their fields, to give their expert perspective on exactly what should be examined. From future global health threats, addressing the climate change crisis, to tackling education inequality and driving global corporation taxes and investment into natural disaster infrastructure – they provide the evidence for global action.
Carbis Bay, St. Ives, Cornwall
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Research Festival 2021
28 June – 2 July
The annual Research Festival celebrates curiosity and collaboration, showcasing leading work across disciplines and inviting fellow academics, industry, students, policymakers, and the public to understand more of our world and those living in it.
Hear cutting-edge research from world-leading experts and top keynote speakers and learn how your own research or business could achieve greater impact through collaboration, locally and globally.
Browse the full programme now
R&D Solutions Fund
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.
Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK.
The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
- Developing autonomous technology to assess condition of seagrass beds 28 July 2021
- Research aims to unlock secrets of magma transport below the ocean floor 26 July 2021
- Targeted removals and monitoring can help manage lionfish in Mediterranean 22 July 2021
- Academics highlight major health challenges facing coastal communities 21 July 2021
- Coastal ecosystems being ‘burned’ by double whammy of rising temperatures and ocean acidification 16 July 2021
Upcoming academic and research events
- EWTEC 2021 5 September 2021 - 9 September 2021
- FUTURES2021 24 September 2021 - 25 September 2021
- PlyMSEF 2021 Climate Conference 27 October 2021 13:00 - 17:00
- 1st International Symposium on Quantum Computing and Musical Creativity 19 November 2021 - 20 November 2021
- ESRC Festival of Social Science 2021 1 November 2021 - 30 November 2021