Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK. The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
All applicants are to initially register their interest, with details of the academic and business partnership, at email@example.com
The Queen's Anniversary Prize for pioneering research on marine microplastics pollution and its impact on the environment and changing behaviour
Nearly two decades of world-leading research into the effects of marine plastics on our environment by Plymouth researchers, led by Professor Richard Thompson OBE FRS, has received the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a higher education institution.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
- Research highlights near-miss which could have changed outcome of D-Day 27 November 2020
- Scientists join call for major shift in understanding to protect the ocean 25 November 2020
- Microplastics in the Death Zone 20 November 2020
- University helps UK Overseas Territory become sanctuary for wildlife 19 November 2020
- ‘A threat greater than Covid’ – why we should be paying more attention to antimicrobial resistance 18 November 2020
Upcoming academic and research events
- Adventures in Posthumanism 2020-21 2 December 2020 14:00 - 15:30
- INHS Biennial Conference 2 December 2020 - 3 December 2020
- 'Back to Music' with Charlotte Storey 6 December 2020
- Oceansgate Marine Technology Webinar Series 9 December 2020 11:00 - 11:45
- Beethoven's private legacy: his musical sketches - Christmas Lecture 16 December 2020 19:30 - 20:30