Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
G7: Examining the evidence for global action
On 11 June 2021, G7 leaders and invited guests meet in Carbis Bay, Cornwall, UK to explore solutions to some of the greatest global challenges and, united through shared values, take decisive action.
Facing a climate emergency while still in the midst of a global pandemic and its resultant economic devastation – many look to the G7 to understand where do we go from here? We asked Plymouth researchers, leaders in their fields, to give their expert perspective on exactly what should be examined. From future global health threats, addressing the climate change crisis, to tackling education inequality and driving global corporation taxes and investment into natural disaster infrastructure – they provide the evidence for global action.
Carbis Bay, St. Ives, Cornwall
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
R&D Solutions Fund
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.
Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK.
The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
- Plymouth takes the lead as universities commit to climate action 20 October 2021
- Study highlights how humans and nature are causing significant changes to the health of global rivers 12 October 2021
- University professor chairs government event on coastal communities 4 October 2021
- Maritime rope could be adding billions of microplastics to the ocean every year 22 September 2021
- Consortium submits plan to confirm South West’s status as a global leader in ocean technology innovation 16 September 2021
Upcoming academic and research events
- Planning for Coastal Change 20 October 2021 13:00 - 14:30
- Future Plymouth 2030 20 October 2021 16:00 - 18:00
- Cyber-SHIP Lab Annual Symposium 21 October 2021 - 22 October 2021
- GOALD project talks 22 October 2021 11:00 - 12:00
- Plymouth International Virtual Dementia Conference 27 October 2021 13:00 - 16:30