Research and expertise
Find out about our internationally renowned research and expertise at the University of Plymouth
Search open access papers
Interdisciplinary Strategic Institutes
Our diverse research spans three Strategic Institutes. Collaborative endeavour in rich, natural environments drives solutions to global challenges.
Marine, maritime, education and innovation expertise integrate to train scientists, engineers, policymakers, artists, technicians and business.
Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research
Transformation in life course, ageing, methodologies, e-health, technology and interventions in health, social care, lifestyle, health and wellbeing.
Sustainable Earth Institute
Science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business, with community, businesses and individuals, innovate to build resilience for our planet.
We are committed to developing solutions to the planet's most challenging issues. Our pioneering spirit runs deep in the quest for a better tomorrow.Meet our pioneering researchers
Research Festival 2021
28 June – 2 July
The annual Research Festival celebrates curiosity and collaboration, showcasing leading work across disciplines and inviting fellow academics, industry, students, policymakers, and the public to understand more of our world and those living in it.
Hear cutting-edge research from world-leading experts and top keynote speakers and learn how your own research or business could achieve greater impact through collaboration, locally and globally.
Browse the full programme now
R&D Solutions Fund
The £200,000 fund, delivered in partnership between the University and Thomas Westcott Chartered Accountants, is designed to stimulate industrial collaborations and knowledge transfer opportunities between our researchers and businesses, aiming to solve specific ‘business problems’.
Grants of up to £20,000 will be available during two funding rounds:
- Call 1: 9 November 2020 – closes 9.00 Monday 21 December 2020
- Call 2: 8 February 2021 – closes 9.00 Monday 22 March 2021
The programme is open to businesses from any industry sector or geographic location in the UK.
The funds can be used to cover a variety of costs, including academic research time to focus on a specific opportunity or challenge to a business; research time of the industrial partner; and access to specialist University facilities or equipment.
- New book explores the causes and consequences of our biodiversity crisis 6 May 2021
- Social media and science combine to show how ship’s plastic cargo dispersed from Florida to Norway 29 April 2021
- Cell adaptation in critically ill could be difference between life and death, new study shows 23 April 2021
- University ranked among world’s top 25 – and 1st for marine – in Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 21 April 2021
- New research finds tourism sector at risk from ‘lone wolf’ terror attacks 19 April 2021
Upcoming academic and research events
- Plastics in Society – Critical Approaches to Managing Plastics Waste 11 May 2021 14:00 - 15:30
- INSPIRE Dental ‘Triple’ Showcase (POSTPONED) 12 May 2021
- Annual Torbay and South Devon Clinical School Conference 13 May 2021 09:00 - 16:30
- Nutrition and COVID-19 Recovery 19 May 2021
- Adventures in Posthumanism 2020-21 19 May 2021 14:00 - 15:30