We are one of the most active research centres within the University. Our staff engage with a wide range of other departments in universities and research institutes around the world.
We focus on three linked fundamental elements, namely
1. environment-society interactions;
2. environmental processes and change;
3. governance through regulation, management policies and stakeholder involvement.
Our centre is methodologically innovative and interdisciplinary by transcending and blending the traditions of the:
- natural sciences (physical geography) and,
- social sciences and humanities (human geography).
To facilitate our work we have established a number of research groups: