136 - 144
5 GCSEs grade C/4 or above to include Mathematics, English and Science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application and who have achieved at least B/5 grades in Mathematics, English and Science. Please note that if you do not have this profile please contact the Admissions Team directly on +44 1752 585858 or email: email@example.com and they will be happy to advise you further.
AAB from three A levels. Two A levels must come from either Maths, use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science, or Psychology. General studies will not be considered as part of the offer.
The Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate will be accepted in lieu of one A level, alongside two science subjects, as listed above. An applicant studying for an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) alongside three A levels that meet the above criteria, will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. To be considered for this the EPQ must be in a relevant science-based topic and be predicted to achieve a strong grade.
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/National Extended Diploma: D*D*D Science profile, must include either Mathematics, Use of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science, Psychology.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma/National Diploma: D*D* and only considered in conjunction with Science or Mathematics A level at grade A.
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
36 - 34 points overall to include 3 subjects at Higher Level and 2 of these subjects must be at 6 points Higher Level. Subjects must come from either maths, use of maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology, applied science, psychology.
English accepted within
If Advanced Level = 4+ (A1) or 5 (A2/B)
If Standard Level = 5+ (A1) or 6 (A2/B)
If overseas and not studying English within IB – must have IELTS
IELTS: 7.0 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in all elements.
Pass a named Access to HE Diploma (e.g. Science, Combined Science, Medicine) with at least 45 credits at level 3 of which 30 must be at distinction level and come from at least two specialisms including Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology. The remaining 15 level 3 credits must be at merit.
Accepted – preference pathways would be Health and Science. Typical offer will be confirmed once an application is received.
Please note: Applications are considered on an individual basis with preference given to those applicants with a strong GCSE profile and those with at least 12 months experience working in optical practice. Preference is also given to those applicants for which it is mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org at least two years since the completion of any previous level 3 qualification. Please contact the Undergraduate Admissions team if you have any queries via email email@example.com or call +44 1752 585858.
For a full list of all acceptable qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
Extended entry requirements
- In addition to the above, evidence of academic study within the last five years is required.
- Please note we do not accept Key Skills Level 2 in place of GCSE English or mathematics.
- You must pass disclosure and barring service and occupational health checks satisfactorily in order to be able to start this course.
- If English is not your first language and you do not have GCSE English grade C or above you will have to achieve an IELTS or equivalent qualification at the grades stated below.
- IELTS - 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in writing and reading and 6.0 in listening and speaking (if you need to improve your English language to get onto a degree course at University of Plymouth you can book a pre-sessional academic English course).
- Meeting the academic minimum is the first stage of an application being considered. Applicants must also submit a strong personal statement in order to be considered further.
- English language requirements
- We welcome applicants with international qualifications. To view other accepted qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary.
Due to the professional nature of this course we are unable to accept applications for deferred entry.