Dr Daniela Oehring
Lecturer in Optometry
School of Health Professions (Faculty of Health)
- Ocular biomechanics
- Public health
- Vision care for homeless people
- Dry eye
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Doctor of Eye and Vision Science at University of Plymouth with 10+years experience wishing to undertake postgraduate research regarding the mechanical integrity of the ocular tissue in order to detect, treat and prevent systematic and ocular diseases. Proactive lecturer and researcher with 10+ years of experience in teaching courses on undergraduate and postgraduate levels and Fellow of the Academy of Higher Education, supervised two Ph.D. dissertations, published one book, six book chapters, eleven articles and presented at 38 conferences on four different continents.
Current roles and responsibilities:
- Co-Chair of the Faculty of Health Research Ethics and Integrity Committee
- Senior Tutor (SoHP)
- Head of the Eye and Vision Research Group (PIHR)
- Head of Mental Health and Wellbeing Group (SoHP)
- International Exchange Coordinator for the Optometry Programme
- Athena Swan Representative
- Member of the Committee for Decolonisation of the Curriculum
- Ph.D. Eye and Vision Sciences Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth, United Kingdom
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP); University of Plymouth, United Kingdom
- MSc Applied Statistic; Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Schiller Universität Jena, Germany
- MSc Eye and Vision Sciences; Faculty of Science and Technic, Ernst-Abbe-University Jena, Germany
- BSc (hons.) Optometry; Faculty of Science and Technic, Ernst-Abbe-University Jena, Germany
- Certificate in Academic Practice for Ophthalmic & Dispensing Optician Education; Ernst-Abbe-University Jena, Germany, Chamber of Commerce Thuringia, Germany
- Dispensing and Ophthalmic Optician Diploma; Chamber of Commerce Bavaria, Germany
International Association of Contact Lens Educators (IACLE)
British University and College Contact Lens Educators (BUCCLE)
Crosslinking Consortium UK
The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
European Academy of Optometry (EAOO)
Vereinigung Deutscher Contactlinsen-Spezialisten und Optometristen (VDCO)
Wissenschaftlichen Vereinigung für Augenoptik und Optometrie (WVAO)
Roles on external bodies
Scientific Advisory Board (OCL)
Member of the Crosslinking Consortium UK
Since 2016 Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth, UK; Full-time Lecturer, Optometry
Taught nine undergraduate and four postgraduate courses, focused on anatomy and physiology, as well as clinical skills, and research methods. Supervised 16 BSc and one MSc theses. Erasmus coordinator for the Optometry programme from 2014 to 2020. Member of the Ethical Committee for Postgraduate Research since 2016. Deputy head (since 2018) and Head (since 2020) of the Eye and Vision Research group. Head of the Mental Health and Wellbeing Group (SoHP) since 2019.
Since 2014 Faculty of Engineering and Optometry, Beuth University Berlin, Germany; Visiting Lecturer, Optometry
Since 2013 Faculty of Physics, Sofijski University, Bulgaria; Visiting Lecturer, Optometry
Since 2013 Doctoral Collage, University of Plymouth, UK; Associate Lecturer; Taught two postgraduate seminar series for research development.Since 2010 Faculty of Science and Technic, Ernst-Abbe-University Jena, Germany; Guest Lecturer and Clinical Supervisor, Optometry;
Taught three undergraduate and two postgraduate courses, focused on specialist optometry skills (contact lens), as well as clinical case studies, and research methods. Supervised 14 BSc and ten MSc theses and four Erasmus internships.
Since 2005 Optic technician training institute, Kumasi, Ghana; Visiting Lecturer; Involvement focused on educational programmes for local lecturer and supervisors and curriculum development.
2013 - 2016 Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth, UK; Clinical Demonstrator, Optometry; Supervised undergraduate clinical skills modules in refractive methods, contact lens fitting and visual perception.
2011 – 2015 Wales Optometry Postgraduate Education Centre, Cardiff University, UK; Part-time Clinical Supervisor; Supervised the European Optometry Postgraduate course annually.
2008 - 2009 Faculty of Mathematics University of Applied Sciences Jena, Germany; Part-time Teaching Assistant; Basic mathematical concepts and methods for understanding and solving problems in engineering, Prof Dr P. Wilde
2007 - 2008 Faculty of Physics University of Applied Sciences Jena, Germany; Part-time Teaching Assistant; Competencies in physical modelling as applied to simple examples of mechanics, Prof Dr O. Hofmann
Staff serving as external examiners
2019 University of Liverpool Engineering
I have been involved in projects related to eye care for hidden and excluded populations, ocular biomechanics, keratoconus and dry eye. I have worked as a generalist researcher and become experienced with a range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies relevant to health services research, including:
- Randomised controlled trials
- Studies involving qualitative interviews
- Mixed methods analysis
- Observational studies
- Time series analysis
I have developed a particular interest in the early detection and diagnosis of eye-related diseases. This is of particular relevance for the development and evaluation of both innovative complex interventions and programmes for translating evidence into practice.
- Conferences on Ophthalmology 2018, Ufa Eye Research Institute (Russia): Ocular biomechanics of ectatic eyes
- EAOO 2018, Pula (Croatia): Advanced Examination Techniques for the Anterior Eye
- EAOO 2017, Barcelona (Spain): Estimation of the impact of intraocular physical pressure, CCT and corneal topography on IOP readings using non-contact devices (CorvisST, ORA, iCare)
- SCLOSS 2014, Glasgow (UK): Meibomian Gland Dysfunction – Clinical Procedure
- CPD 2014, Dublin (Ireland): Dry Eye Toolkit for Optometrists
- AAO 2012, Phoenix (USA): Development and Evaluation of a Novel Morphing Software to grade Slit Lamp Findings
- CET seminar series sponsored by Rupp & Hubrach, 2010 – 2015, Bamberg (Germany) for Ophthalmologists and Optometrists: Refraction 3.0
- Workshop Oculus Optikgeräte GmbH 2014, Gießen (Germany): Introduction into Biostatistics
- CET HWK Optometrists, 2011-2013, Mainz (Germany): Introduction into scientific working
- BCLA 2013 Manchester (UK) Workshop: Diagnosis of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
- WVAO 2012 Frankfurt am Main (Germany): Online contact lens sales – Risk or Advantage?
- VDCO/ WVAO 2012 Berlin (Germany): Dry eye assessment in daily practice
- VDCO/ WVAO Württemberg 2012 (Germany): Update: Tear film Osmolarity
- Symposium Ophthalmic Optics Jena 2011 (Germany): Classification of Slit lamp findings, a historical view
- VDCO Contact Berlin 2011 (Germany): Corneal oedema in clinical practice
- OPTI 2011 Munich (Germany): Contact lens sale online – how to ensure costumer safety
- VDCO Contact 2010 Mainz (Germany): Use of interactive tools in clinical education – from the slit lamp assessment to contact lens fitting
- Spectaris Düsseldorf 2010 (Germany): Development of a new contact lens material
- VDCO Contact 2009 Berlin (Germany): Comparison of the repeatability and validity in clinical settings between the aberrometer i.Profiler and Z-View
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
I have supervised multiple BSc and MSc students as first supervisor and Ph.D. students in a team. Eight students presented on international conferences, one student one the Cooper Vision Summer Summit and one student was awarded with a student travel grant.
Grants & contracts
Short-term effects on tear film (baby shampoo vs Blephasol). GIS Grant Thea Pharmaceutical. 2017-2022 (£10,00). This study assesses the effects on the tear film in short term when following the clinical guidelines in comparison to an effective alternative treatment.
Equipment grants for unlimited use
Since 2015: Support through the loan of a High-Speed Camera full equipment for unrestricted use
Since 2013: Support through the loan anterior eye OCT by Heidelberg Engineering GmbH for unrestricted use
Since 2013: Support through the loan of the CorvisST and Keratograph 5M by Oculus Optikgeräte GmbH for unrestricted use
Key publications are highlightedJournals