- Carol Primmer – Developing high performance, durable graphene oxide concrete for structural applications in the coastal environment – supervised by Boksun Kim.
- Chun Yin Choi – Investigation of the release and behaviour of plastic nanofibers to air and the marine environment – supervised by Alex Besinis.
New limited duration Open Access paper
- Shakil Ahmed Awan: Associate Professor in Electronics and Nanotechnology
- Alexandros Besinis: Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering
Richard Cullen escaped
Rising Star Award
Princess Yachts sponsored PhD student
John Summerscales was interviewed and broadcast by BBC Spotlight for a feature item on abandoned fibre glass boats.
26 May 2021
Postgraduate research studentships
- 3D printed graphene sensors in structural health monitoring for composite turbine blades.
- Motions and loads on dynamic export cables for floating Offshore Renewable Energy farms using physical and numerical modelling.
- Coupled nonlinear analysis of a flexible fabric wave energy converter.
- Developing computational tool of safer decommissioning plan for ships and offshore structures through condition assessment.
Manufacturing Engineer Degree Apprenticeship
There will be an Employer Open Day to introduce this course at 1300 BST on Thursday 10 June 2021.
20 May 2021
Undergraduate project showcase
The Mechanical, Marine and Materials Engineering undergraduate course students have a Project Virtual Showcase where the posters describing their work are displayed.
20 May 2021
Postdoctoral Research Fellow vacancy
MAST research group are seeking a person to work on research related to marine environmental effects on fatigue of nylon fibre reinforced rubber composites for wave energy devices in support of the EPSRC-funded Flexible Responsive Systems in Wave Energy (FlexWave) project. The FlexWave project will test the research hypothesis that the use of Flexible Responsive Systems in Wave Energy will lead to a step change reduction in cost and provide a pathway to cost competitive, scalable wave energy converters. The deadline for applications is 31 May 2021.
09 April 2021
Expert on Sky News
Jasper Graham-Jones was interviewed by Sky News when the Ever Given container ship ran aground blocking the Suez canal.
25 March 2021
Thermal Analysis suite
The University of Plymouth will be looking to acquire a Thermal Analysis suite to service teaching and research in materials characterisation (ceramics, metals, polymers and composites), food science and chemistry. View the contract finder notice.
08 February 2021
Webinar series on Recycled Aggregates in Concrete
Special issue editor
Maozhou Meng will be leading a special issue of the MDPI open access journal Micromachines entitled Recent Advances in Graphene-based Sensors. The deadline for manuscript submissions is 31 July 2021.
13 January 2021