Dr Boksun Kim
Associate Professor of Structural Engineering
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
2005: PGC in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Univeristy of Portsmouth, UK.
2000: Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
1995: MSc in Structural Engineering, Myong Ji Univeristy, Seoul, South Korea.
1993: BSc in Architectural Engineering, Myong Ji University, Seoul, South Korea.
Roles on external bodies
- STAD215 Structural analysis and design II.
- STAD323 Structural Engineering 3
- STAD324 Structural Engineering 4
Tapered tee beams; finite element analysis; buckling analysis of cold-formed c channels; cement/concrete with Graphene Oxide flakes; sustainable homes; a new fylfot-shaped wave energy device.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- 2019 Analysis and design of castellated beams, PhD, Sahar Elaiwi, University of Plymouth.
- 2018 Micro-scale study of multi-component ionic transport in concrete, PhD, Ganlin Feng, University of Plymouth.
- 2015 Fire performance of cold-formed steel sections, PhD, Shanshan Cheng, University of Plymouth.
- 2016 RaymondSieh, Self-lubricating non-cyanide Ag-PTFE composite coating for threadedcompression fittings, School of Engineering, Plymouth University, UK.
- 2014: Qing-feng Liu, Muli-phasemodelling of multi-species ionic migration in concrete, Marine Scienceand Engineering, Plymouth University, UK.
- 2004: Eng Han TEE, Geometric optimisation of yield line patterns using generic algorithms, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Univerisity of Portsmouth, UK.
1. Kim, B., Wisniewski, J., baker, T. and Oyinlola, M., Behaviour of sand-filled plastic bottled clay panels for sustainable homes, Journal of Building Engineering, in press.
2. Elaiwi, S., Kim, B. and Li, L., Dynamic instability of castellated beams subjected to transverse periodic loading, Challenge Journal of Structural Mechanics, 2019;5(1):9-18.
3. Elaiwi, S., Kim, B. and Li, L., Linear and Nonlinear Buckling Analysis of Castellated Beams, International Journal of Structural and Civil Engineering Research, 2019:8(2):83-93.
4. Elaiwi, S., Kim, B. and Li, L., Bending Analysis of castellated beams, Athens Journal of Technology and Engineering, 2019;6(1):1-16.
5. Yu, N., Kim, B., Yuan, W., Li, L. and Yu, F. An analytical solution of distortional buckling resistance of cold-formed steel channel-section beams with web openings, Thin-Walled Structures, 2019;135:446-452.
6. Oyinlola, M., Whitehead, T., Abuzeinab, A., Adelfila, A., Akinola, Y., Anafi, F., Farukh, F., Jegede, O., Kandan, K., Kim, B. & Mosugu, E. Bottle House: A case study of transdisciplinary research for tackling global challenges, Habitat International, 2018;79:18-29.
7. Kim B, Taylor, L., Troy, A. McArthur, M and Ptaszynska, M. The effects of Graphene Oxide flakes on the mechanical properties of cement mortar, Computers and Concrete, 2018;21(3):261-267.
8. Feng, G., LI, L., Kim, B. and Liu, Q. Multiphase modelling of ionic transport in cementitious materials with surface charges, Computational Materials Sciences, 2016;111:339-49.
9. Kim, B., Li, L. and Edmonds, A. Analytical solutions of lateral-torsional buckling of castellated steel beams, the International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 2016;16:8.
10. Yuan, W., Cheng, S., Li. L. and Kim, B. Web-flange distortional buckling of partially restrained cold-formed steel purlins under uplift loading, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2014;89:476-81.
11. Cheng, S., Yan, Q, Li, L. and Kim, B. Thermal Buckling analysis of axially loaded columns of thin-walled open section with non-uniform sectional properties, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 2014;15:6.
12. Cheng, S., Li, L. and Kim, B. Buckling analysis of cold-formed steel channel-section columns at elevated temperatures, Fire Safety Journal, 2015;72:7-15.
13. Cheng, S., Li, L. and Kim, B. Buckling analysis of cold-formed steel channel-section beams at elevated temperatures, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2015;104:74-80.
14. Chen, J, Kim, B and Li, L. Analytical approach for transverse vibration analysis of castellated beams, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics 2014;14:3.
15. Kim, B., Oliver, A. and Vyse, J. Bending stresses of steel web tapered tee section cantilevers, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 2013;7:11:1329-1342.
16. Yuan, W., Kim, B. and Li, L. Buckling of axially loaded castellated steel columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2013;92:40-45.
17. Yuan, W, Kim, B and Chen, C. Lateral-torsional buckling of steel web tapered tee-section cantilevers, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 2013;87:31-37.
18. Cheng, S, Kim, B. & Li, L. Lateral–torsional buckling of cold-formed channel sections subject to combined compression and bending. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 2013;80:174-180.
19. Kim, B., Wright, H. and Cairns, R. The Stem Girder System: Numerical Analysis, Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete IV, ASCE, 2002;178-188.
20. Kim, B., Wright, H. and Cairns, R. The Behaviour of Through Deck Welded Shear Connectors: an Experimental and Numerical Study, Journal of Constructional Steel Research Vol. 57, No. 12, December 2001;1359-1380.
21. Kim, B., Wright, H and Cairns, R. A Study of Continuous Stem Girder Systems, Structural Engineering and Mechanics: An International Journal, 2001;11(5):469-484, May 2001.
22. Park, Bok-Man, Jung, Goo-Sup, Choi, Sung-Yong, and Kim, Bok-Sun. A Study on the Strength of Stud Shear Connectors in T-shaped Composite Beams, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 1994;10(5):173-180, sponsored by POSCO IRON & STEEL CO., LTD, Seoul, South Korea.
1. Elaiwi, S., Li, L. and Kim, B. Bending Analysis of Castellated Beams, the 2nd Annual International Conference on Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 19-22 June 2017, Athens, Greece.
2. Elaiwi, S., Kim, B. and Li, L. Bending Analysis of Continuous Castellated Beams, the ASEM17 Congress, Aug. 28 – Sep. 1, 2017, Ilsan, South Korea.
3. Kim, B., Taylor, L., Troy, A. McArthur, M and Ptaszynska, M. The effect of Graphene Oxide flakes on the mechanical properties of cement mortar, the ASEM17 Congress Aug. 28 – Sep. 1, 2017, Ilsan, South Korea.
4. Feng, G., LI, L. and Kim, B. The effect of an electric double layer on chloride penetration in cement paste, The 2015 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM 15) in Songdo, Incheon, South Korea, 25-29 Aug. 2015.
5. Cheng, S., Kim, B. and Li, L. Fire performance of cold-formed steel members: Buckling behaviour of channel sections under axial and transverse uniform loading, the EUROSTEEL 2014 conference, Naples, Italy, 10-12 Sep. 2014.
6. Cheng, S, Kim, B. and Li, L. An analytical study of the buckling of cold formed steel channel members at elevated temperatures, Proceedings of the 10th Pacific Structural Steel Conference (PSSC 2013), Singapore, 8-11 Oct. 2013
7. Cheng, S, Kim, B. and Li, L. Structural behaviour of cold-formed steel channel members at elevated temperatures, The 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM 13), Jeju South Korea, 8-12 Sep. 2013.
8. Kim, B. and Oliver, A. A study of web tapered tee section cantilevers. IABSE-IASS Symposium, London, Sep. 2011.
9. Kim, B., Wright, H. and Cairns, R. The Behaviour of Through-deck Welded Shear Connectors: A Numerical Study, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, Busan, South Korea, June 2001, pp. 1327-1334. (Overseas Travel Grant received from the Royal Society, London to present this paper at the conference.)
10. Kim, B., Wright, H. and Cairns, R. The stem girder system: numerical analysis, Engineering Foundation Conference, Banff, May 2000, pp. 1-11.
11. Wright, H., Kim, B. and Cairns, R. The development of a stem girder system, The 6th International Conference by Association for International Cooperation and Research in Steel-Concrete Composite Structures (ASCCS), Los Angeles, March 2000, pp.615-622.
12. Kim, B., Wright, H.D, Cairns, R. and Bradford, M.A. The numerical simulation of shear connection, Proceedings of the 16th Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials, Sydney, Australia, December 1999, pp. 341-346.
13. Kim, B., Wright, H.D. and Cairns, R. A study of a New Continuous Stem Girder System, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Seoul, South Korea, August 1999, pp. 537-542.
14. Kim, Bok-Sun, Lee, Young-Jik, Yu, Seung-Kye, Choi, In-Seong and Park, Bok-Man. A Study on the Strength of the Composite Beams in the Inverted T-Shaped Steel, Proceedings of the Autumn Conference of Architectural Institute of Korea, 1995;15(2): 593-598, October 21, 1995, Seoul, South Korea.
Reports & invited lectures
Contributed to P376 Steel building design: Worked examples for students in accordance with Eurocodes, published by the SCI in 2007.
Group LinkedIn: Civil Engineering with Plymouth University