Dr Alexander Besinis
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
2006- 2010: PhD in Biomaterials, University of Sheffield
2005-2006: MSc in Medical Engineering, University of Liverpool
2001-2005: BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Technology Engineering (First Class), University of Athens
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of United Kingdom Society for Biomaterials
Member of International Association for Dental Research
Member of the British Society for Oral and Dental Research
Member of the American Society for Microbiology
My research interests focus on advanced engineering materials and the use of nanotechnology to build novel composites, biomaterials and implants with improved mechanical and physical properties.
Key areas of interest are:
- Synthesis and advanced material characterisation of novel nanoparticles.
- Investigation of the mechanical and physical properties of metals, ceramics, elastomers and composite materials.
- Recovery of the micromechanical properties of demineralised bone and teeth following infiltration with engineered nanomaterials.
- Remineralisation of bone and teeth using colloidal nanosolutions.
- Application of nanocoatings to titanium alloy medical implants to improve biocompatibility and osseointegration.
- Use of nanotechnology with oral tissues, implants, maxillofacial prostheses and medical devices to inhibit biofilm formation and achieve infection control.
- Evaluation of the antibacterial effect of nanomaterials against pathogenic bacteria and fungi.
- Investigation of nanomaterials behaviour in complex biological media (blood, urine, oral saliva).
- Use of single atomic layer of graphite (graphene) in medical applications.
Self-funded PhD and Masters opportunities
We are actively seeking self-funded students who wish to obtain a PhD or Masters degree. We welcome applications from students who have or hope to gain scholarships or wish to self-fund their studies in the following research areas. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and you are very welcome to contact Dr Alexander Besinis (email@example.com) to discuss research options.
- Advanced Materials Engineering
- Smart Materials
- Medical Engineering
- Tissues-Materials Interactions
- Biofilm development
- Tissue remineralisation