Dr Jonathan Moizer
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in Business Operations & Strategy
Plymouth Business School (Faculty of Business)
- Faculty of Business Key Contact for the Higher Education Academy
- Associate Fellow of the Operational Research Society.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Roles on external bodies
Using management modelling, simulations, games and gaming to promote experiential learning.
- System dynamics modelling of managerial problems to support learning and policy making.
- Simulation games and their applications in education and training.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- Hasema Hamad,'Antecedents of Business-to-business E-commerce Adoption and its Effect on Competitive Advantage in Manufacturing Small and Medium-sized Enterprises: A Comparative Study of United States of America and Egypt’, 2014
- Loay Abdul-Mageed El-Sayed, 'An Agent-based Approach for Improving the Performance of Distributed Business Processes in Maritime Port Community', 2012
- Jacqueline Rogers, ‘Multi-disciplined Individuals: Defining the Genre’, 2010
- Toni Ola, ‘Achieving Global Sustainable Development Through Community Planning’, 2010
Grants & contracts
- Leonardo TOI Fund (2012-2013), ‘Using On-line Role Play to Promote Soft Skills Development for Social Enterprises’, €90,105 at Plymouth University (€264,423 whole project); J. Moizer (Project Cordinator), J. Lean & E. Dell' Aquila (Plymouth University, UK); O. Miglino, A. Di Ferdinando & M. Schembri (UNINA, Italy); P. Walsh (CIT, Ireland); R. Friedrich (GeProS, Germany).
- Higher Education Academy Award (2010-2011), ‘Discipline-focused Learning Technology Enhancement Academy’. Inspiring Futures Project (£1000) to facilitate the adoption and diffusion of learning technology by academics and students. Supported by Chelo de Andrés Martínez, Hilary Duckett, Jonathan Lean & Troy Heffernan (Plymouth University, UK).
- Teaching Fellowship Award (2004-2005) ‘The Use of Simulation & Gaming at the University of Plymouth: Opportunities & Challenges’: Funded by the University of Plymouth TFA (£4803), with Dr's J. Lean & M. Towler (Plymouth University, UK).
- Continuing Vocational Education (1999), 'Occupational Health and Safety Project - To Investigate the Feasibility of Developing Short Course Material on Health and Safety Awareness for Small Businesses’, Funded by the Plymouth University Continuing Vocational Education Fund (£4803) with Dr J. Lean (Plymouth University, UK).
- Professional Theory and Practice
- Research Centre for Sustainable Leadership, Governance and Policy (SLGP)
Key publications are highlightedJournals
2016 'Evaluating the impact of serious games: the effect of gaming on entrepreneurial intent' Information Technology and People 29, (4) PEARL
2016 'Levels of Business to Business E-Commerce Adoption and Competitive Advantage in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: A Comparison Study Between Egypt and the United States' JOURNAL OF GLOBAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT 1, (19) , DOI PEARL
2015 'Planning robust policing futures: modelling using multimethodology' INDUSTRIAL MANAGEMENT & DATA SYSTEMS 115, (3) 462-482 Publisher Site , DOI PEARL
2014 'A Decision Support Framework to Assess Grocery Retail Supply Chain Collaboration: A System Dynamics Modelling Approach' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INNOVATION, MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY 5, (4) 232-238 Publisher Site , DOI
2014 'Enhancing the Impact of Online Simulations through Blended Learning: a Critical Incident Approach' EDUCATION + TRAINING 56, (2/3) 208-218 Publisher Site , DOI PEARL
2014 'Social Enterprise in the European Union: A Review of Policy' SOCIAL & PUBLIC POLICY REVIEW 9, (1) Publisher Site
2014 'The Role of Organisational Culture in the Merger of English Local Authorities into a Single Unitary Authority' LOCAL GOVERNMENT STUDIES 40, (3) 356-379 Publisher Site , DOI PEARL
2014 'Using Scripts for the Construction of Management Simulation Models in the Context of Multi-Agency Engagement' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INNOVATION, MANAGEMENT AND TECHNOLOGY 5, (4) 273-279 Publisher Site , DOI
2013 'A decision-focused knowledge management framework to support collaborative decision making for lean supply chain management' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PRODUCTION RESEARCH 51, (7) 2123-2137 Publisher Site , DOI
2013 'A knowledge chain management framework for global supply chain integration decisions' PRODUCTION PLANNING & CONTROL 25, (8) 639-649 Publisher Site , DOI
2013 'Using groups to support judgmental parameter estimation VISCONS: ‘Eyeballing’ to capture a quantified group consensus' EXPERT SYSTEMS WITH APPLICATIONS 40, (2) 715-721 Publisher Site , DOI
2012 'A hub-and-spoke model for multi-dimensional integration of green marketing and sustainable supply chain management' INDUSTRIAL MARKETING MANAGEMENT 41, (4) 581-588 Publisher Site , DOI
2012 'Should Europeans fear the privatisation of pensions?' Journal of Comparative Social Welfare 28, (2) 129-138 Publisher Site , DOI
2012 'The value of incentives to defer the UK state pension' PENSIONS: AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL 17, (1) 46-62 Publisher Site , DOI
2011 'Simulating the impact of policy on patrol policing: introducing the emergency service incident model' SYSTEM DYNAMICS REVIEW 27, (4) 331-357 , DOI
2010 'Determining R&D intensity under different market conditions' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REVENUE MANAGEMENT 4, (1) 22-41 Publisher Site , DOI
2010 'How long might the younger-old live: A predictive model' FUTURES: THE JOURNAL OF POLICY, PLANNING AND FUTURE STUDIES 42, (3) 212-218 Publisher Site , DOI
2010 'Strategy Making in Social Enterprise: The Role of Resource Allocation and Its Effects on Organizational Sustainability' SYSTEMS RESEARCH AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE 27, (3) 252-266 Publisher Site , DOI
2010 'Towards Endemic Deployment of Educational Simulation Games: A Review of Progress and Future Recommendations' SIMULATION & GAMING 41, (1) 116-131 Publisher Site , DOI
2009 'An exploration of student perception of a business simulation game' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT EDUCATION 7, (2) 69-79 Publisher Site , DOI
2009 'Simulations and Games: Overcoming the barriers to their use in higher education' ACTIVE LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION 10, (3) 207-224 Publisher Site , DOI
2008 'The R&D funding decision: The need for a systematic approach' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT AND DECISION MAKING 9, (4) 402-414 Publisher Site , DOI
2007 'Research and development resourcing when faced with fundamental market dynamics' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF BUSINESS PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT 9, (4) 432-452 Publisher Site , DOI
2007 'Using causal loop diagramming to represent the factors affecting learning for students using a business simulation game' ESIC MARKET 123, (2) 161-177 Publisher Site
2006 'Modes of learning in the use of a computer-based business simulation game' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LEARNING TECHNOLOGY 2, (1) 49-61 Publisher Site , DOI
2006 'Simulations and games: Use and barriers in higher education' ACTIVE LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION 7, (3) 227-242 Publisher Site , DOI
2004 'Experiences of using a business strategy simulation: Lessons for promoting effective learning' INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT EDUCATION 4, (1) 19-28 Publisher Site
2001 'Isn't it about time to stop messing about with case studies and start playing games?' DEVELOPING-MANAGEMENT (Sep. 2001)
Moizer JD; O'Byrne D 2014 S-CUBE PPOJECT: TRAINING SOFT SKILLS IN SOCIAL ENTERPRISES USING VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENTS for ROLE PLAY. Plymouth, UK University of Plymouth Press
2016 'Using Online Role-playing Games for Entrepreneurship Training' in Rooney P; Whitton N Game-Based Learning and the Power of Play Exploring Evidence, Challenges and Future Directions Cambridge Scholars Publishing 49-81 PEARL
2016 'Using Online Role-Playing Games for Entrepreneurship Training' in Rooney P; Whitton N Game-Based Learning and the Power of Play Exploring Evidence, Challenges and Future Directions Cambridge Scholars Publishing 49-81
2012 'A Knowledge System for Integrated Production Waste Elimination in Support of Organisational Decision Making' in Hernández JE; Zarate P; Dargam F; Delibašić B; Liu S; Ribeiro R LECTURE NOTES IN BUSINESS INFORMATION PROCESSING Springer Berlin Heidelberg 134-150 Publisher Site , DOI
2010 'Using oral debriefing to assess student learning in a bsiness simulation game' in Atfield R; Kemp P; Tong R ENHANCING LEARNING THROUGH ASSESSMENT: IN BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT, HOSPITALITY, LEISURE, SPORT AND TOURISM Oxford Higher Education Academy 123-130 Publisher Site
1999 'Computing and information systems for business students' in Ahmet K; Fallows S INSPIRING STUDENTS: CASE STUDIES ON IN MOTIVATING THE LEARNER Kogan Page
Trustee, Gwellheans (Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Charity), Redruth, Cornwall, 2012-2015