The University of Plymouth Careers Service aims to be recognised as a sector-leading service, providing support which is inclusive, up-to-date, accessible, timely, flexible and welcoming throughout a student's journey and beyond.
We aim to develop our students’ and graduates’ careers and employability capability and confidence through partnerships and networks with other students, graduates, academic colleagues and employers.
We support all Plymouth students and graduates to:
- understand what you can do with a degree in a particular subject, to gain knowledge and insight into sectors you are interested in and to provide labour market intelligence, including information on the previous employment and further study destinations of Plymouth graduates, to inform your decision-making
- explore your career options and develop your employability through impartial and expert information, advice and guidance and through high quality events, activities and initiatives delivered both in and around the curriculum and centrally
- build, develop, maintain and articulate the knowledge, attributes, skills, networks and experience from your academic and extra-curricular experiences to enable successful transition into further study and/or the labour market, or your next career step
We support Plymouth academic and professional services colleagues to:
- partner with us to enhance their students' careers and employability development
- support students to acquire, identify and articulate the benefit and value of their academic experience to future employers
- use data to help understand, influence and design how academic programmes lead to future career outcomes
- design support that is inclusive, accessible and timely and that explicitly takes into account a diverse student body
We support employers to:
- identify and recruit the best intern, placement and graduate talent for their business, sector and industry
- fully embrace equality, diversity and inclusion in their attraction, recruitment, selection and on-boarding processes
- understand how a Plymouth-specific experience helps prepare our graduates for future professional success and impact
- develop opportunities that help businesses grow and to raise their profile amongst the student population
To do this, Plymouth Careers Service offers a range of services, including one-to-one careers advice and guidance, mock interviews, e-learning and web resources and tools, vacancy board (from part-time work to graduate level), full events and workshops calendar, bespoke part-time, placement and internship work experience programmes, funding opportunities, mentoring programmes, up-to-date labour market information, academic consultancy in the curriculum, employer partnerships, and active signposting to external careers and employability providers, organisations, resources and networks. We manage all this through our web and online 24/7 enabling system, MyCareer and MyCareer Digital Resources.