What is LinkedIn?
Why use LinkedIn?
"LinkedIn is a powerful tool for students and graduates to use as it allows you to make connections and build your networks with all the professionals you meet during your studies and career. LinkedIn can help you showcase your skills, achievements, and experiences and your profile may be found if a potential employer searches for your name during their recruitment process. Additionally, LinkedIn might allow you to grow your network, through your connections and provide opportunities for you in the future."
Ellis Webb, Early Careers Manager Babcock International
LinkedIn is a great tool for:
- To explore how to make the most out of LinkedIn, attend one of our 'Master LinkedIn' workshops.
- If you have created a LinkedIn profile and feel confident using the platform you could have additional one-to-one support from our Advisers. You can book an Information & Advice appointment through myCareer or visit us in the Student Hub in the Library.
- LinkedIn Learning – an online training library where you can undertake free courses (current UoP students only) to learn more about specific skills, software and programmes.
I knew nothing about LinkedIn before the webinar and now I have a knowledge of how to set up a profile, connect with people and companies. The intimidation of the social platform has been reduced and I feel confident that I can use it to my advantage.
The workshop was extremely helpful and has encouraged me to be more active with LinkedIn, having more knowledge of how to use it effectively. I have already recommended it to other students.
Building your LinkedIn profile
- Write an information profile headline
- Pick an appropriate photo
- Show off your education
- Develop a professional summary
- Fill 'Skills and Expertise' with keywords
- Update your status regularly
- Collect diverse recommendations
- To increase the professional results that appear when people search for you online, set your LinkedIn profile to 'public' and create a unique URL
- Share examples of your writing, design work, or other accomplishments on your profile, where you can share rich media or documents.
Our graduate's top 5 LinkedIn Learning courses
Graduates Emily and Jo talk about LinkedIn Learning and share their top 5 courses.
"I use LinkedIn on a daily basis, probably more than facebook, to see what the rest of the industry is up to, what projects are happening and to learn about what innovative ideas are being used. It’s great to expand your knowledge and build a wide networking circle." Rosie Poad (left) – Highway Engineer at WSP
"As recruiters we see the benefits of LinkedIn as being able to promote our opportunities but also to reach out to people by searching for key words and courses." Jonathan Schulte (centre) – Recruitment Manager at Bam Nuttal