The Careers Service run a wide range of employer-led careers information and recruitment events to help you to interact with employers as part of your career journey, along with a programme of skills development workshops.
Activities include career fairs, employer drop-ins and insight panels for students wishing to explore placement, graduate and part-time work opportunities, along with workshops on interview success, assessment centre advice and tips for job searching.
How will our activities help you?
Our programme of events and activities are aimed at providing you with a series of opportunities to work with employers so you can explore your options, plan your career journey, develop your employability skills, compete to succeed and transition into a confident professional.
Participating in our activities will help you to:
- benefit from expert advice and tips on career planning and job search
- establish links and practice networking with employers in a supportive environment
- explore your career options with various employers
- gain insight into how they recruit into placements, internships and graduate jobs.
Upcoming career events and skills development activities
Attending a careers fair is a great way to explore the wide range of organisations actively recruiting for part-time, internship, placements and graduate positions. They will also allow you to practice your networking skills with employers in a relaxed informal environment.
Each year we hold:
- Part time jobs fair | Rolle Marquee, University of Plymouth Campus | Wednesday 4 October 2023 | 11:00–14:30
- All Sector Placement and Graduate Careers Fair | Rolle Marquee, University of Plymouth Campus | Tuesday 7 November 2023 | 11:00–14:30
- STEM Placement & Graduate Fair | Rolle Marquee, University of Plymouth Campus | Wednesday 8 November 2023 | 11:00–14:30
- South West Placement and Graduate Careers Fair | Rolle Marquee, University of Plymouth Campus | Wednesday 21 February 2024 | 11:00–14:30
- Geo-environmental Careers Fair | Rolle Marquee, University of Plymouth Campus | Wednesday 28 February 2024 | 12:00–16:00
Employer Insight Panels
Each year we hold several virtual panels that include talks from panel speakers who provide an insight into their career journey, top tips for gaining experience and time at the end for questions. These panels are particularly valuable if you have not previously considered this career area and want to know more about it.
Our planned panels for 2023/2024 are:
- Careers in the Public Sector: Tuesday 31 October 2023, 13:00–14:30
- Careers in Sustainability: Tuesday 28 November 2023, 13:00–14:30
- Routes into Teaching: Tuesday 5 December 2023, 13:00–14:30
- Careers in the South West: Tuesday 20 February 2024, 13:00–14:30
- Careers in Marketing: Tuesday 5 March 2024, 14:00–15:30
Book your space now!
Our Careers Consultants and Placement Officers work alongside your academics to arrange for employers related to your course to come and talk to you. This may be as part of a timetabled session, or as a separate activity outside of the timetable.
By attending these sessions, you demonstrate your interest in the area you are studying to potential employers alongside gaining useful insights into their recruitment and inside information about how to succeed. Typical activities could include presentations, panels and challenges.
Law industry conference
Boost: The Skills Development Challenge
BOOST works by bringing small teams of students together to work on a current problem for a business. An external organisation will provide the challenge for the day – and the team which produces the most favoured solution may get the opportunity to help implement it! By taking part, you will be using a range of transferable skills, including:
- teamwork and communication
- creativity and problem solving
- working under pressure and timekeeping
- professionalism in a business setting
- pitching experience
Join BOOST and BOOST your skills!
Boost event, hosted by Babcock
Accelerate Your Future skills workshops
These bite-size, informal and interactive sessions are delivered in person in the Student Hub or online via Zoom. You can gain top tips and share you experiences with like-minded students and recent graduates. Recent topics include:
- CVs, Cover Letters, and Applications
- Master LinkedIn
- Part Time Jobs
- Assessment Centres and Psychometric Tests
- Job Search Techniques
- Preparing for Interviews Effectively
- Considering postgraduate study
Search for: ‘Accelerate Your Future skills workshops’ on myCareer.
Students at the Accelerate Your Future Skills workshop
If you identify as a woman, currently studying at the University, this free two day personal and professional development programme may be for you!
- Confidence in recognising your skills and strengths
- Personal power (you have more than you think!)
- Assertiveness and impact when speaking
- Sense of mindfulness and wellbeing
- Ability to make personal and professional connections
The programme is interactive and each day we will be joined by guest speakers who will share their own experiences and invite you to ask them questions.
Employer in the Foyer
Our 'employer in the foyer' drop-ins are a great way of finding out more about a particular employer and the selection criteria that they use to recruit.
Attending this drop-in event will allow you to learn about the specific skills a certain organisation are looking for and will give you a chance to meet employers from companies that you may be interested in working for. Having the confidence to come along and meet with these contacts could be the key to your next step in your career journey!
These drop-ins take place in the entrance to the
Charles Seale-Hayne Library.
RNLI as our Employer in the Foyer
Stay up to date
In addition to our main activities, we often promote organisations delivering their own sessions. To keep up to date – update your preferences on MyCareer by agreeing to receive our bi-weekly ‘what’s on’ email.