Research at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Translational interdisciplinary medical, dental and biomedical research with global impact, from the lab to the clinic and the community
On behalf of Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD), it is my pleasure to introduce you to our world-class research and innovation.
Ranked first for research outputs in Clinical Medicine in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, we are an exciting, dynamic, rapidly expanding research operation with a reputation for exceptional quality. Our capabilities have been further enhanced by the construction of the Derriford Research Facility, a £17 million investment into the University’s biomedical research infrastructure, which will provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories for PU PSMD researchers and our partners.
This facility forms part of and is the headquarters for our flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), where research into the development of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches is driven by our Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group,
focusing on our core research themes of Cancer,
Neuroscience and Infection,
Immunity, Inflammation and cross-cutting Diagnostics,
Trials and Public
Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Community and Primary Care Research, connects researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.Our research across health and medicine is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU).
Our Healthcare Education and Assessment Research, led by the Internationally renowned team at CAMERA (Collaboration for the Advancement of Medical Education Research and Assessment), facilitates improvements in patient safety and engagement through evidence-based professional education.
Central to our continuing success are the key partnerships, facilities and services that underpin our research and innovation activity, our skilled and dedicated academic, research, professional services and administrative staff and our exceptional research students.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Professor Adrian Taylor Associate Dean for Research
PUPSMD research news
- New study underpins the future of Person Centred Care 16 November 2017
- Student research journal celebrates success 25 October 2017
- Research to explore the development of deadly brain tumours 16 October 2017
- ‘Nutrient extraction’ can lower the glycaemic index of fruit juice 10 October 2017
- Conference successful showcase of dental research 29 September 2017
Derriford Research Facility
Prestigious new £17 million HQ of the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine, providing additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility
PU PSMD research seminars and events
- Biology and therapeutic potential of ER located trophic factor CDNF 22 November 2017 16:30 - 17:30
- More than tea and cake 28 November 2017 11:00 - 12:00
- EPIC - a discussion 30 November 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Global Health Cafes 6 December 2017 13:00 - 13:50
- Searching for new targets to attenuate brain ischemic damage 14 December 2017 16:30 - 17:30
- Interventions reducing unplanned paediatric admissions 10 January 2018 11:00 - 12:00
- Epidemic transition or double-burden? 17 January 2018 13:00 - 14:00
- Time to embrace the F word 23 January 2018 13:00 - 14:00
- Laboratory Tour 31 January 2018 16:00 - 18:00
- Mouse modelling of motor neurone disease 2 February 2018 16:30 - 17:30
Postgraduate research degrees at PUPSMD
Everything you need to know about our range of postgraduate research degreesDiscover more
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)