Mechanical Engineering with Composites
This fully accredited, and well respected, programme of study allows students to develop a firm foundation in the principles of mechanical engineering in a composite materials context. Our graduates have found employment in a diverse range of industries. That diversity is mirrored in the range of dissertation projects our students conduct.
- David Allenby (BEng 2020): An investigation into heat transfer in composite heated tooling
- Jay Grocock (MEng 2020): Measuring the internal geometry of an anastomosed synthetic blood vessel under internal pressure
- Callum Honey (BEng 2020): Development and testing of a novel 3D printed hip replacement as an alternative to traditional medical implants
- Sam Johnson (BEng 2020): Standard test methods for interlaminar shear
- Euan McCredie (BEng 2020): A study of the effect of heat treatments on EN9 steel – grain structure and mechanical properties
- Daniel Redmayne (BEng 2020): Evaluation of wear vs fibre orientation for a composite bicycle chainwheel
- Hendrick Esterhuyse (MEng 2021): CFD modelling of resin flow in liquid composite moulding (LCM) processes
- John Horrill (BEng 2021): Optimisation of Monomer Infusion Under Flexible Tooling
- Connagh Launchbury (BEng 2021): Analysis of the mechanical properties of SWNT and MCNT polymer nanocomposites manufactured using resin additive manufacturing
- Henry Mays (BEng 2021): An Investigation into the engineering design philosophies for the manufacture of advanced engineering composite and metallic alloy components
- James Smith (BEng 2021): The influence of environmentally assisted aging on the degradation of a carbon-epoxy composite
Marine and Composites Technology
This fully accredited, and well respected, programme of study allows students to develop a firm foundation in the principles of mechanical engineering in a composite materials and marine technology context. Our graduates have found employment in a diverse range of industries, including the aerospace and maritime sectors.
The programme of study ends with an individual capstone engineering project, examples of which you will find here for BSc (honours).
- George Barton (BSc 2020): Performance of 3D printed hydrofoils
- Edward Blowers (BSc 2020): How is the performance of a NACRA 17 hydrofoil affected by the systematic approach?
- James Coomber (BSc 2020): A preliminary investigation into how damage affects the potential of climbing slings to withstand loading
- Alistair Ham (BSc 2020): Investigation into the Effects of Obsolescence within the Marine Industry
- George Pollard (BSc 2020): A study into changing manufacturing processes from Resin Infusion to SPRINTTM
- Tobias Woodings (BSc 2020): Measuring the surface quality of gelcoat composites
- Laura Banham (BSc 2021): Marine resources as renewable materials for plastics
- Cedar Grixti (BSc 2021): Automated surface texture analysis for forensic discrimination of the range of bast reinforcement fibres
- Ayushi Subedi (BSc 2021): Damage detection and mechanical performance of self-piercing riveting joint of CFRP and Aluminium 5754