Our laboratories are equipped with a range of manufacturing and test equipment:
- Aeroform autoclave (400°C, 14 bar).
- Aeroform Hot Bonder composite repair control system.
- Bipel/Bytec 40 tonne hydraulic press with hot platens up to 400°C.
- Composite Integration Ciject® One resin injection machine for polyester or epoxy.
- Composite Integration one-metre square glass fronted heated/cooled mould tool.
- Vacuum and conventional ovens.
- PhoCheck Tiger PID Datalogging Monitor Standard.
- SNOL 9/1100 vented muffle furnace for burn-off.
- Brookfield R/S-CPS rheometer with Peltier temperature controller.
- Flow Mach2 water and abrasive jet cutting system (1.3 x 1.3 m work envelope).
- UltrapierceTM assembly for composites.
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities has a Formech 686 vacuum forming machine.
We can test materials and components on a range of accredited laboratory machines.
Test programmes can be either quick stand-alone evaluations, composites 'forensic' work, or form part of a wider programme of work involving design or optimisation.
Our Structural Integrity Laboratory has a range of machines for tension/compression, torsion, fatigue and creep including:
- Avery/Instron 1000 kN universal testing rig*
- Instron 5582 screw-driven 100 kN universal test machine
- Instron 4301 screw-driven 50 kN universal test machine
- Instron 3345 screw-driven 500 N universal test machine
- Instron 8501 servohydraulic 100 kN dynamic
- Instron ElectroPuls 3000 3 kN dynamic electromagnetic fatigue machine
- Instron MDS 666C high temperature chamber
- Instron high temperature 4-point bend rig
- Dantec Q-400 digital image correlation system
The Faculty has a 100 watt laser cutter/engraver with a 1 metre square bed and two Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) rapid prototyping machines compatible with STL:
- MakerBot Replicator 2: low quality concept development machine for PLA with x-, y-, z- build Platform of 285 x 153 x 155 mm and tolerance of 0.2mm and non-soluble support material.
- Stratasys Dimension 1200es: advanced industrial-standard Machine for ABSplus with a build area of 254 x 254 x 305 mm and 1200es BST (breakable support) or 1200es SST (soluble support).
Materials characterisation and non-destructive testing
- Polymer Laboratories PL-DSC differential scanning calorimeter
- Sovereign Quantum survey meter (FST Project Store SMB310)
- Tramex Skipper Plus moisture meter user guide (FST Project Store SMB310)
- NEC Avio Infrared Technologies Thermo Tracer TH7102WX
- Olympus Panametrics Epoch LT ultrasonic flaw detector
Microscopy and surface quality assessment
The School of Marine Science and Engineering has a suite of microscopy and surface analysis equipment including:
- SkyScan1174 x-ray micro-computer-tomography
- Olympus LEXT OLS3000 confocal laser scanning microscope (CLSM) with Table Stable TS-150 anti-vibration mounting
- Olympus BX60M and BX61 optical microscope with ColorView Soft Imaging System
- Wave Scan Dual surface quality measurement