Our laboratories will be closed from May to September 2023. New equipment will be delivered, and existing equipment will be moved, into the new Babbage Building in preparation for Academic Year 2023–24.
Our laboratories are equipped with a range of manufacturing and test equipment:
- Aeroform autoclave (400°C, 14 bar).
- Bipel/Bytec 40 tonne hydraulic press with hot platens up to 400°C.
- Composite Integration Ciject® One resin injection machine for polyester or epoxy.
- Composite Integration one-metre square glass fronted heated/cooled mould tool.
- Vacuum and conventional ovens.
- PhoCheck Tiger PID Datalogging Monitor Standard.
- SNOL 9/1100 vented muffle furnace for burn-off.
- Brookfield R/S-CPS rheometer with Peltier temperature controller.
- Flow Mach2 water and abrasive jet cutting system (1.3 x 1.3 m work envelope).
- UltrapierceTM assembly for composites.
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business has a Formech 686 vacuum forming machine.
- Plastell by Matoha portable plastic identification NIR (near infrared) scanner
- 3devo AIRID polymer dryer
- 3devo Composer 450 filament maker
- Ray Ran MFR300 Microprocessor Melt Flow System
We can test materials and components on a range of accredited laboratory machines.
Test programmes can be either quick stand-alone evaluations, composites 'forensic' work, or form part of a wider programme of work involving design or optimisation.
Our Structural Integrity Laboratory has a range of machines for tension/compression, torsion, fatigue and creep including:
- Avery/Instron 1000 kN universal testing rig*
- Instron 5582 screw-driven 100 kN universal test machine
- Instron 3345 screw-driven 5 kN universal test machine
- Instron ElectroPuls 3000 3 kN dynamic electromagnetic fatigue machine
- Instron MDS 666C high temperature chamber
- Instron high temperature 4-point bend rig
- Dantec Q-400 digital image correlation system
* The Avery/Instron 1000 kN universal (tension/compression/bending) testing machine has ~1.1 m daylight and 120 mm long wedge-action grips (for round bars up to 25 mm diameter, or 100x18 mm plate) for tension specimens; bending beam test spans can be up to 4.5m (load restricted to 500 kN at full span).
The Faculty has:
- a 100 watt laser cutter/engraver with a 1 metre square bed.
- Creality Ender 3 Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) printers: - 220 x 220 x 250 mm print bed, ±0.1 mm tolerance using PLA, non-soluble support material (4 machines).
- Markforged Mark 2 professional Continuous Carbon Fiber 3D polyamide printer: - 320 x 132 x 154 mm print bed, 100-200 μm print resolution, non-soluble support material
- Stratasys Dimension 1200es: advanced industrial-standard FDM machine compatible with STL for ABSplus with a build area of 254 x 254 x 305 mm and 1200es BST (breakable support) or 1200es SST (soluble support).
- NextEngine laser 3D desktop scanner.
The Advanced Digital Manufacturing And Innovation (ADMI) Centre has a range of first phase facilities located on the Plymouth Science Park.
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Business has complementary facilities in their
Digital Fabrication Laboratory.
Materials characterisation and non-destructive testing
- NEC Avio Infrared Technologies Thermo Tracer TH7102WX
- Olympus Delta Professional (Alloy) DPO-2000-CC hand-held X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) with precious metal upgrade
- Olympus Panametrics Epoch LT ultrasonic flaw detector
- Sovereign Quantum survey meter
- Tramex Skipper Plus moisture meter (user guide)
The moisture meters are held in the Faculty Project Store (SMB310) and can be booked out via the Smarthub booking system.
Thermal Analysis suite
- Mettler-Toledo Thermal Analysis System DMA 1 dynamic mechanical analysis
- Mettler-Toledo Thermal Analysis STARe System DSC 3+ differential scanning calorimetry
- Mettler-Toledo Thermal Analysis STARe System TGA/DSC 3+ thermo-gravimetric analysis/DSC
- Mettler-Toledo Thermal Analysis System TMA/SDTA 2+ thermos-mechanical analysis/single differential thermal analysis.
Microscopy and surface quality assessment
The School of Marine Science and Engineering has a suite of microscopy and surface analysis equipment including:
- SkyScan1174 x-ray micro-computer-tomography
- Olympus LEXT OLS3000 confocal laser scanning microscope (CLSM) with Table Stable TS-150 anti-vibration mounting
- Olympus BX60M and BX61 optical microscope with ColorView Soft Imaging System
- Wave Scan Dual surface quality measurement