From basic research discovering the causes of disease, through to evaluating novel ways of delivering care to the most vulnerable people in society, the Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research (PIHR) is a thriving community that conducts adventurous world-leading research with the explicit purpose of improving the health and care of the populations we serve. At the heart of PIHR’s mission is a desire to solve the problems that really matter to people.
Our mission is to promote an interdisciplinary, inclusive enterprise with a real commitment to working across boundaries in order to meet the needs of the people of the South West and other rural, coastal, and deprived communities worldwide.
If you have a query about the institute or an idea for a collaboration please contact us via: PIHRSupport@plymouth.ac.uk
Lived Experience of Covid
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a profound impact on all of our lives. Both the spread of the virus and the measures taken to halt or manage it, have necessitated major changes in how we do things. Academics at the University of Plymouth have undertaken a range of research projects on the impact of Covid and how we have adapted to it in a wide range of areas. This includes how health, social care and education providers have coped as well as how the wider community has been affected. Find out more about these projects here.
Other areas of PIHR research
Cancer; immunology, infection and inflammation; neuroscience, experimental psychology, oral health and disease and optometry
Cross faculty collaborations
Centre for Coastal Communities
Health research news
- Project explores potential for digital technologies to create inclusion and opportunities in Devon and Cornwall 20 February 2023
- University spinout completes trial of Lassa fever vaccine 6 December 2022
- Study identifies potential link between oral bacteria and brain abscesses 6 December 2022
- University and health trust unite to boost medical innovation and patient care 11 November 2022
- Study explores links between people taking multiple medications and dementia 12 October 2022
Health research events
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 19 April 2023 12:00 - 13:00
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 17 May 2023 12:00 - 13:00
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 8 June 2023 12:30 - 14:00
- Plymouth Institute of Health and Care Research seminars 21 June 2023 12:00 - 13:00
Postgraduate research opportunities
The University of Plymouth offers a range of postgraduate research degrees across all areas of health research.
The Doctoral College is the hub for all research degree processes – from enquiries and application processes to the award of degrees.
Find out more about the areas in which we supervise postgraduate research at both doctoral and masters levels. Here we offer a flavour of potential topics for your own research project and who to contact to discuss your options.