Towards a sustainable Earth
The Sustainable Earth Institute is about promoting a new way of thinking about the future of our world.
We bring researchers together with businesses, community groups and individuals to develop cutting-edge research and innovative approaches that build resilience to global challenges. We link diverse research areas across the University including science, engineering, arts, humanities, health and business.
If you’re an academic looking for a connection to industry, an organisation looking for academic research support or an individual who is inspired to work towards a sustainable future then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can help.
We need to celebrate and recognise our complex, dynamic, and unique world - after all, good planets are hard to find.
Professor Iain Stewart, Director of the Sustainable Earth Institute
- £2.6million project helps Devon enterprises respond to the climate emergency 18 December 2019
- New research project launched to tackle the issue of food waste 29 November 2019
- University of Plymouth awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for world-leading microplastics work 21 November 2019
- University of Plymouth takes lead role in national Climate Commission 13 November 2019
- University expert contributes to new BBC series Seven Worlds, One Planet 23 October 2019
- Biodiversity at a Crossroads | Research Festival 2020 20 January 2020 08:30 - 17:00
- Sustainable agriculture | Research Festival 2020 21 January 2020 09:00 - 12:00
- Natural buildings of the future | Research Festival 2020 22 January 2020 09:00 - 12:00
- Understanding the marine environment for a sustainable ocean economy | Research Festival 2020 22 January 2020 09:00 - 16:00
- Natural capital for clean growth | Research Festival 2020 23 January 2020 09:00 - 17:00
Sustainability courses and programmes
Plymouth offers a range of sustainability themed courses and programmes, including architecture, entrepreneurship, consultancy, design, engineering and planning.Find out more about our courses and programmes
Professor Stephen Sterling, Chair of the Sustainability Executive Group
A whole institutional approach to sustainability
University of Plymouth has an established reputation both nationally and internationally as a leader in the higher education sector for sustainability.Find out more about sustainability at Plymouth