Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute events
- Sailing and Sea Science Family Fun Day 5 September 2015 09:30 - 16:30
- Plymouth & Napoleon: 1815 | 2015 5 September 2015 14:00 - 19:00
- Britain and the Sea 4 8 September 2015 09:30 - 19:00
- Sailing and Sea Science Family Fun Day 12 September 2015 09:30 - 16:30
- Shallow Survey 2015 14 September 2015 - 18 September 2015
Marine Institute news
- Millions of plastic particles found in cosmetic products 26 August 2015
- MARS mission aims to make historic Atlantic crossing 4 August 2015
- University hosts delegation from South Africa 23 July 2015
- Marine litter undermines benefits of coastal environments 15 July 2015
- Celebration of marine expertise and heritage at Big Festival Weekend 29 May 2015
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.