Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- The complex fate of Antarctic species in the face of a changing climate 17 June 2019
- Pioneering partnership names its first Ocean Giants Scholars 14 June 2019
- Fishers keen to help address the problem of marine litter 7 June 2019
- Fear of ‘killer shrimps’ could pose major threat to European rivers 4 June 2019
- Lionfish culls aim to preserve marine species and habitats in the Mediterranean Sea 22 May 2019
What's on events
- Wave-induced Vibrations of Ice Shelves 25 June 2019 10:00 - 10:45
- An Ever Moving Now 28 June 2019 10:00 - 17:00
- An Ever Moving Now 28 June 2019 18:00 - 21:00
- An Ever Moving Now 29 June 2019 10:00 - 16:00
- South West Marine Careers Conference 12 July 2019 12:00 - 20:00