Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- Rising sea temperatures could enhance and accelerate radiation induced DNA effects in marine mussels 23 August 2016
- Underwater robots offer glimpse into deep-sea life 10 August 2016
- Study provides first evidence of acidification’s impact on wild fish reproductive behaviour 27 July 2016
- ‘Starballing’ starfish may hold clue to mystery of mass strandings 29 June 2016
- Lionfish invading the Mediterranean Sea 28 June 2016
What's on events
- Marine Tech Expo 2016 14 September 2016 09:30 - 18:00
- The Ocean of Life: The Fate of Man and the Sea 14 September 2016 18:30 - 20:00
- Seafood Festival 24 September 2016 - 25 September 2016
- Sea Portraits Exhibition 11 September 2016 - 25 September 2016
- Aquatic Traffic 23 September 2016 - 25 September 2016
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.