Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- Caribbean lobster fisheries sustained by 'dark carbon' 9 December 2016
- Beaches devastated by extreme storms showing little signs of recovery, study shows 24 November 2016
- Experts secure £5 million grant to protect and enhance the South West's 'natural capital' 16 November 2016
- Study aims to improve understanding of rip currents 7 November 2016
- Consortium calls for government investment in advanced engineering and digital innovation 3 November 2016
What's on events
- Annual Meeting of the UK & Ireland Regional Student Chapter of the Society for Marine Mammalogy 18 January 2017 - 20 January 2017
- International Shipwreck Conference 4 February 2017 09:00 - 18:00
- Making Waves 2017 9 February 2017 09:00 - 19:00
- Jutland 2016 - the Archaeology of a Naval Battlefield 10 February 2017
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.