Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- Who is to blame for marine litter? 15 June 2018
- Making positive changes for the future of our planet at Sustainable Earth 2018 12 June 2018
- Researcher and role model made an OBE in Queen’s Birthday Honours List 8 June 2018
- New Director for University’s Marine Institute 8 June 2018
- Academics edit book on marine renewable energy sector 8 June 2018
What's on events
- Different aspects of the mean flow induced by surface gravity waves: the set-up under crossing waves and the transport of plastic 20 June 2018 12:00 - 13:00
- Marine Tech Expo 21 June 2018
- Photo ID of bottlenose dolphins 30 June 2018 10:00 - 16:00
- 5th Annual PRIMaRE Conference 5 July 2018 - 6 July 2018