Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
The Queen's Anniversary Prize for pioneering research on marine microplastics pollution and its impact on the environment and changing behaviour
Nearly two decades of world-leading research into the effects of marine plastics on our environment by Plymouth researchers, led by Professor Richard Thompson OBE, has received the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a higher education institution.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- University of Plymouth awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for world-leading microplastics work 21 November 2019
- Cats of the sea – ‘laser chasers’ offer insights into territorial behaviour of wild fishes 12 November 2019
- Supergen ORE Hub launches interactive webtool to bring together UK Offshore Renewable Energy research 6 November 2019
- Project aims to transform how fishing industry deals with discarded nets 6 November 2019
- £3million Cyber-SHIP Lab offers unique opportunity to address global maritime cyber security challenges 4 November 2019
What's on events
- Exchange with young marine scholars at the University of Plymouth 6 December 2019 12:00 - 13:00
- 68th Annual Meeting of the British Phycological Society 6 January 2020 - 9 January 2020
- Biodiversity at a Crossroads | Research Festival 2020 20 January 2020 08:30 - 17:00
- Understanding the marine environment | Research Festival 2020 22 January 2020 09:00 - 17:00
- International Shipwreck Conference 1 February 2020 09:00 - 17:30