Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- GWave tests new device in COAST Lab 16 February 2017
- 44 invading species 'loose' in North Atlantic, study shows 27 January 2017
- Caribbean lobster fisheries sustained by 'dark carbon' 9 December 2016
- Beaches devastated by extreme storms showing little signs of recovery, study shows 24 November 2016
- Experts secure £5 million grant to protect and enhance the South West's 'natural capital' 16 November 2016
What's on events
- The Voice of the Sea 26 February 2017 12:30 - 14:00
- Talk: The Women Pirates - Image and Reality 7 March 2017 19:00 - 21:00
- Porcupine Marine Natural History Society Conference 2017 11 March 2017 - 12 March 2017
- Porcupine Marine Natural History Society Conference 2017 13 March 2017
- South West Marine Ecosystems Conference 21 April 2017 09:30 - 16:30