Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- Marine policy expert addresses Parliamentary meeting on post-BREXIT fishing landscape 22 February 2018
- Enhanced education could help turn the tide on marine litter 21 February 2018
- Graduate works with BBC on Animals with Cameras series 15 February 2018
- University research informs the Government’s ambitious plan for conservation 14 February 2018
- South West Blue Communities experts head to Asia 1 February 2018
What's on events
- British Science Week Children's Lecture: Exploring Science 9 March 2018 17:30 - 19:30
- ASAB Easter Conference 2018 4 April 2018 - 6 April 2018
- 15th MBA Postgraduate Conference 2018 21 May 2018 - 23 May 2018
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 12 June 2018 - 14 June 2018