Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
What's on events
- From Port to Resort 16 June 2016 19:30 - 21:30
- Women in STEM Plymouth 29 June 2016 16:00 - 19:30
- Wild About Plymouth: Discovering Atlantis 23 July 2016 10:00 - 13:00
- Sutton Harbour Plymouth Classic Boat Rally 29 July 2016 - 1 August 2016
- The Ocean of Life: The Fate of Man and the Sea 14 September 2016 18:30 - 20:00
Marine Institute news
- STORMLAMP project to shine light on the impact of waves on lighthouses 31 May 2016
- Plymouth team launches underwater filming device 27 May 2016
- Marine science meets photography at student exhibition in the Ocean City 18 May 2016
- Devon couple launch aluminium boats to UK market 29 April 2016
- Global marine renewable energy firm offers students a glimpse of the future 22 April 2016
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.