Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and environment, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute events
- Are There Really Plenty More Fish in the Sea? 5 March 2015 18:30 - 20:00
- VALMER and PANACHE final conference 17 March 2015 - 19 March 2015
- Survivors: Adapt or Perish 17 March 2015 - 21 March 2015
- Wild About Plymouth: Super Science 21 March 2015 11:00 - 15:00
- ECDIS Plymouth Training Course - IMO 1.27 20 April 2015 - 24 April 2015
Marine Institute news
- Science, Conservation and Industry gather for annual Plymouth University Marine Institute Lecture 3 March 2015
- New study reveals the global impact of debris on marine life 19 February 2015
- Marine students quiz government minister 19 February 2015
- REF case study: microplastics in the ocean 18 February 2015
- £10 million boost for South West businesses 16 February 2015
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.