Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- Supergen ORE hub launch a big hit 14 February 2019
- Researchers part of £20 million programme aimed at tackling threats to the world’s oceans 22 January 2019
- Extreme storms in the spotlight at first public lecture on university research 16 January 2019
- Research on the agenda for international offshore renewables experts 14 January 2019
- New research to explore how skill influences result of animal fights 7 January 2019
What's on events
- Wild About Plymouth: The History of Water 20 February 2019 10:00 - 12:00
- The UK’s Merchant Navy - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow 28 February 2019
- Energy from waves - a free ride? and Bass - what do they get up to? 11 April 2019 19:00 - 21:00
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 4 June 2019 - 6 June 2019
- Marine Institute - student talks 12 June 2019 19:00 - 21:00