Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- Leaders in industry and academia in Plymouth for national renewable energy consultation 14 November 2017
- Study offers detailed insight into early-life behaviour of grey seal pups at sea 14 November 2017
- Future climate change may not adversely impact seafood quality, research suggests 31 October 2017
- Marine policy expert invited to share expertise with government 24 October 2017
- University works to build public engagement with environmental research across the UK 16 October 2017
What's on events
- Marine Accident Investigation Branch 21 November 2017 18:00 - 20:00
- A Marine Biologist in Antarctica 6 December 2017
- Wild About Plymouth: Britain's Ocean City 9 December 2017 10:00 - 12:00
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 3 January 2018 - 5 January 2018
- International Shipwreck Conference 3 February 2018 09:30 - 18:00