Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute events
- Come On In - Behind the Scenes Community Visits 25 January 2016
- UK-Malaysia Researcher Links Workshop 25 January 2016 - 29 January 2016
- Wild About Plymouth: Super Science 19 March 2016 11:00 - 15:00
- Come On In - Behind the Scenes Community Visits 25 April 2016
Marine Institute news
- Plymouth University invited to join EnvEast Doctoral Training Partnership 27 November 2015
- Is there a real risk from nanoparticles of plastic in the environment? 26 November 2015
- Climate change scientist says more must be done to meet 2-degree target 25 November 2015
- Plymouth University partners with NATO on strategy and security masters degree 25 November 2015
- Melting Scandinavian ice provides missing link in Europe’s final Ice Age story 17 November 2015
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.