Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute events
- Plymouth University's remote video ecosystems research 10 June 2015 19:00 - 21:30
- 2nd Annual PRIMaRE conference 16 June 2015 - 17 June 2015
- Shallow Survey 2015 14 September 2015 - 18 September 2015
- School of Marine Science and Engineering 1 23 September 2015 10:00 - 12:00
- School of Marine Science and Engineering 2 and School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences 1 23 September 2015 13:00 - 15:00
Marine Institute news
- Plymouth scientist to chair national diving committee 20 May 2015
- New study shows how discarded plastic bags are smothering marine life 21 April 2015
- Rising carbon dioxide levels stunt sea shell growth 20 April 2015
- Bone-eating worms ate marine reptile carcasses 15 April 2015
- New study shows net value of seagrass to fishing in the Mediterranean 23 March 2015
Marine Institute publications
Over the years the Marine Institute has built up an impressive portfolio of publications. Our newsletter, MI-News, showcases spotlight topics, whether it be our ground-breaking research, new state-of-the-art facilities or international events. MI-News is released bi monthly and contains information on the most recent activities at the Marine Institute. Available below are the latest issues of MI-News and more publications from the Marine Institute.