Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, the University of Plymouth's Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK.
We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions.
We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities.
Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Did you know...?
Marine Institute news
- University of Plymouth coastal engineer heads up prestigious journal special issue on heritage structures 22 August 2019
- University prepares to host UK teachers on international education expedition 19 August 2019
- Marine researcher and graduate meet Nobel-nominated climate activist 14 August 2019
- University works with city partners to enhance parks and green spaces 12 August 2019
- Film crews capture first evidence of leopard seals sharing food 5 August 2019
What's on events
- Sea Level and Coastal Change in Devon and Cornwall 3 September 2019 18:00 - 20:00
- Fifth Sea Level and Coastal Change Field Conference: Devon and Cornwall 1 September 2019 - 4 September 2019
- 68th Annual Meeting of the British Phycological Society 6 January 2020 - 9 January 2020