*In the QS World University Rankings 2018, University of Plymouth performed among the top 72%. Considering there are approximately 26,000 universities globally, this makes Plymouth one of the top 2.7% universities in the world.
- ) Times Higher Education Top 200 Under 50: 65th overall, third in UK
- ? 22 National Teaching Fellowships in HE since 2000
- @ Guardian University Awards: 2013 winner - Student Experience
- ? Times Higher Education Awards: 2014 winner - outstanding employer engagement
- @ Guardian University Awards: 2015 winner for Social and Community Impact
- > The first university to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark
- ( Over 4,500 Plymouth University students per year benefit from placements and work-based learning
Plymouth University: the facts and stats
- * £24m contracting with local businesses
- < 80 partnerships in over 30 countries
- ( 13,000 off-campus students enrolled on Plymouth University degrees
- ' £155m invested in the campus over the past eight years, including The Marine Station, The House and The Health and Wellbeing Centre
- 4 We oversee a £100m network of business support facilities, including incubation, innovation and science park infrastructure
- < An alumni community with more than 135,000 graduates in 135 countries
- + The first and only post-1992 university to launch its own medical and dental school
- A Top 50 employer, ranked third best employer in the education sector, behind only the University of Cambridge and University of Oxford
- ' Best Bar None Silver Award for our Students' Union
Latest awards and accreditations
- Academic’s stunning image of rare owl shortlisted for photographic award 11 October 2017
- Identifying cancer links more quickly – genetics project wins European Health Award 4 October 2017
- Plymouth students score international success in RSA Student Design Awards 1 June 2017
- Students selected for US summit with slum crisis solution 26 May 2017
- Plymouth Law Clinic shortlisted for prestigious national award 20 April 2017
- Students earn success at the treble in marine science awards 22 March 2017
Awards in detail
Queen's Anniversary Prize
In 2012 we were awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize in recognition of our worldwide reputation for marine and maritime education and research. One of the most prestigious awards in UK Higher Education, it was presented to Professor Wendy Purcell, President, Plymouth University by the Queen at a special ceremony at Buckingham Palace. We're also one of the few universities to have won the award twice, after winning the Queen's Anniversary Prize for widening access to education in rural communities in 1994.
Social Enterprise Mark
Here at Plymouth we became the first university in the world to be awarded the Social Enterprise Mark, in recognition of our long-standing support for the sector. The award demonstrates our social value to the wider world and community, and is testament to the commitment, energy and vision that we pride ourselves on.
Stonewall Diversity Champions
In September 2013 we were proud to join the acclaimed Stonewall Diversity Champions programme, Britain's good practice employers’ forum on sexual orientation. This partnership means that as a university we receive one-to-one advice from Stonewall’s workplace team, and benefit from an extensive network of over a hundred high-profile employers.
Higher Education Academy strategic partner 2016-17
Social Enterprise Mark
A member of the campaign to promote women in science, technology and engineering.
Stonewall Diversity Champion
Sustainable Restaurant Association award SRA
Psychology eBooks project received the Guardian university award for teaching excellence
Green Gown awards
Global Entrepreneurship Week
Bloomberg Best UK Employers 2016