What is LinkedIn?
Put simply, LinkedIn is a social network for professionals.
LinkedIn is for anybody and everybody who's interested in taking their professional lives seriously by finding new opportunities to grow their careers and to connect with other professionals.
LinkedIn is a living and breathing network where other students, recent graduates, professionals and employers can interact with and contact you. Your profile is a great way to share – not only your experience – but also your personality and interests.
Building your LinkedIn profile
- Write an information profile headline
- Pick an appropriate photo
- Show off your education
- Develop a professional summary
- Fill 'Skills & Expertise' with keywords
- Update your status regularly
- Show your connectedness
- Collect diverse recommendations
- To increase the professional results that appear when people search for you online, set your LinkedIn profile to 'public' and create a unique URL
- Share examples of your writing, design work, or other accomplishments on your profile, where you can share rich media or documents
Useful LinkedIn resources
How can I use LinkedIn?
We can offer you LinkedIn support in a variety of ways:
- To explore how to make the most of your LinkedIn profile, attend one of our Accelerate Workshops – sign up to Accelerate Workshops.
- LinkedIn Learning is also accessible via Lynda – an online training library where you can learn more about specific skills, software and programmes.
The Careers Service Hub is here to help
If you would like to learn more about LinkedIn, or have any questions about your CV and employability experience, you can visit our Careers Service Hub and speak to our team.
The Careers Service, in consultation with the various faculties, run a wide range of employer-led careers information and recruitment events to help you to interact with employers as part of your career journey.