Exchange students

Can I come on an exchange to the University of Plymouth? 

If you're a full-time student at any university around the world you can potentially come to study with us on exchange. Our undergraduate exchanges take place in the second year, so you'll need to have completed your first year to apply.

Nomination and application

To exchange with the University of Plymouth you must be nominated by your home institution. Once your nomination has been accepted we will send you an application form for completion and submission.


Semester one: Semester two:
Nomination Application Nomination Application
30 April 31 May 18 October 18 November

Do I have to pay tuition fees? 

If you are taking part in an exchange from one of our partners then you will not pay tuition fees. However, if you are coming to Plymouth on the ISEP Direct program or as a Free Mover you will pay tuition fees. Our latest ISEP Direct fees can be found at the ISEP website. Free Mover fees will depend on where you are coming from and the modules you study; please contact the Global Opportunities team to find out more.

How do I get to the University of Plymouth?

We provide a pickup service from London airports for students starting in September. Once your application has been accepted we can send you information about this as it's released.
If you're arriving after the start of semester one or travelling to Plymouth by other means, please read more about arriving in the UK for help on getting here.

I have a disability, can I still apply?

Absolutely. We won't ever reject a student on the grounds of disability. If you have a disability you're advised to put this on your application form, so we can make sure there's a support system in place for you to call on if you need it.

Choosing modules and credits 

Discover which modules are available for you to study as an incoming exchange student.

How many credits should I take? 

If you're here for the whole year, you'll take 120 of our credits (120 credits = 60 ECTS). 

If your exchange is for less than a year you'll need to discuss with your home institution how many credits you need to take. However if you choose to take more than 60 credits you will be liable to pay fees on the additional credits (see above).

Once I complete my studies, when will I get my transcript? 

We hold our Assessment Panels and Boards in June every year and results are normally published in the first week of July. Transcripts will be sent to your home address. If you need the result before then we can supply a provisional certificate to your home institution.

Further information can be found on our 'your results, how to find them, and what they mean' page.

Grading system

Degree class % mark % awarded *
First 70-100 24
Upper Second 60-69 15
Lower Second 50-59 23
Third 40-49 3
Pass 30-39 3
Fail <30 5
 *University of Plymouth 2016/17

Plymouth: Discover a thriving waterfront city at the heart of the stunning South West.

The University of Plymouth sits on the idyllic South Devon coastline at the very centre of the city. One of the largest universities in the region, our growing international reputation is matched by some exciting campus developments.
With excellent national transport links, great shopping and culture, top sporting opportunities, pristine seas and south-coast sunshine, at the University of Plymouth you can live the lifestyle that only the South West peninsula can offer.
British Fireworks Championships 2013 from the Hoe
Watch the annual British Fireworks Championships from the Hoe

If you want to come and have a chat please email us to make an appointment.

Appointments are generally available Monday to Friday between 10:00–11:30 and 14:00–15:30 on a pre-arranged basis.