Study abroad opportunities for international students

If you want to come and have a chat please email us to make an appointment

Appointments are generally available Monday to Friday between 10.00 – 11.30 and 14.00 – 15.30 on a pre-arranged basis.

The University of Plymouth welcomes Exchange and Freemover students from all over the world who want to spend part of their degree with us. The team at Plymouth Global is here to help guide you through the opportunities that may be available to you.
  • Broaden your mind and your horizons.
  • Adapt to different cultures and work patterns.
  • Improve your job prospects (employers like multi-cultural employees).
  • Improve your language skills.
Nomination and application
The University of Plymouth accepts Exchange students for either the whole academic year or for one semester through our Bilateral agreements and ISEP. 
We also consider self-funding students, known as Freemovers, who wish to study at the University of Plymouth for one or two semesters outside of any agreement.
To study abroad with the University of Plymouth you must be nominated by your home institution. Once your nomination has been accepted we will send you a link to our application form for completion and submission. 
We will only accept applications from nominated students.
Semester one Semester two
Nomination Application Nomination Application
30 April 31 May 18 October 4 November
You will be notified of the outcome of your application within four weeks of the application deadlines.
Details of all available study abroad modules and our academic advisors can be found by following the link at the bottom of this page.
Semester 1 exam provision 
We communicate routinely with incoming students and their coordinators about semester 1 exams and advise that students should choose classes without exams if they cannot attend our exam period in January. Where students are genuinely unable to do this, (e.g. the University of Plymouth module with the exam is a core module in their home programme), as part of our commitment to internationalisation, our Exams and Awards team will make our system of alternative exam provision available under specific conditions:
1. There must be a genuine clash of semester dates. Simply not wanting to come back after Christmas and/or the cost of coming back is not a good enough reason to request exam provision;
2. Our partner must agree to administer the exam according to our exam rules and regulations (e.g. that the exam begins at the home institution within the UK time window that the exam is taking place at the University of Plymouth). It is the student’s responsibility to make sure that their home institution is willing and able to administer the exam under University of Plymouth exam rules and regulations;
3. The Exams and Awards team must be notified in good time so as to be able to make the provision. The notification deadline is 31 October.

We are the University of Plymouth

Since 1862 we have engaged the brightest minds to push boundaries, advance knowledge and transform lives. We have a long and proud history, and together, we are forging an even greater future.

We offer two types of exchange

Bilateral exchange

A bilateral exchange is a swap between two students under the terms of special partnership agreements with individual overseas universities, agreed by our faculties, departments and courses. They are usually subject area specific – for example a swap between two history students. Student exchange is tuition fee-free at your host. 
Bilateral exchanges take place with partner universities that know us well and we know them well. This means our courses are complimentary making for productive exchange opportunities for you.
If you are a student from one of our partners in the EU, you may be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant to help you with the costs of your mobility. Erasmus+ is a mobility programme that provides EU-funded grants to students to study or work abroad for up to a year in any EU country and non-EU countries such as the UK. Find out more from your Study Abroad office and on the European Commission's website.
3d image of conceptual cube world map [shutterstock_66992410]
<p>Orange ISEP logo</p>

ISEP exchange

ISEP is a non-profit educational community dedicated to helping students overcome the financial and academic barriers to overseas study. The University of Plymouth is one of 300 member universities worldwide and has been a member of ISEP since 1984, exchanging an average of 11 students per year through ISEP during this time.

To find out more and to make an application you will need to contact your home university's designated ISEP coordinator and register your account on the ISEP website.

Student Participation in Arts Scheme (SPiA)

How it works

Did you know that as a University of Plymouth student you have up to £150 of credit to spend on films, music, talks, and dance and theatre performances at The Arts Institute? Look out for the SPiA logo on selected Arts Institute events, either in the season guide or online on The Arts Institute events listings, then book your tickets online and simply bring your student card along with you on the night.

Levels of credit:

£150: all arts students
£100: all other University of Plymouth students.

Terms and conditions

One ticket, per student, per event. Only events carrying the SPiA logo are included in the scheme.

<p>Student Participation in Arts (SPiA)</p>


What is an ESNcard?
ESNcard is your membership card to the Erasmus Student Network. It is a proof of membership in your ESN section, and so indirectly of the whole ESN Network. With the ESNcard, you can attend a great variety of ESN events all around Europe. From student parties and city tours, to cooking workshops and culture nights. ESN events are created to make you feel at home wherever you go. And that is not all, it also gives you over 1500 discounts all around Europe so you can experience more while spending less.
You can buy your ESNcard from Aberystwyth University's Students Union. Students buying cards externally from ESN Aberystwyth have to make a guest account. Step-by-step guide to puchasing an ESNcard with a guest account.
<p>ESNcard logo</p>

General University of Plymouth entry requirements

Graduation academic dress

Academic requirements

Applicants for our study abroad programmes must to meet the academic standards required of our full-degree entrants. 

You can apply to be a fee-free exchange student if we have an exchange agreement with your university in your subject area. 

You should speak to your home university's exchanges department to find out what is available. 

The University of Plymouth requires exchange students to have completed a minimum of one year of a university degree, and the majority of exchange students join us during year two of a three-year degree programme.

International students

English language requirements

If your first language is not English you must have a level of English of a standard that will enable you to benefit fully from your course of study. This is at least CEFR B2 level of English for all mobilities. For mobilities of less than 6 months (1 semester) we do not require evidence and will accept your nomination and application, signed by your university, as confirmation you have achieved the standard. For mobilities of 6 months or more (two semesters), UK immigration rules require you to obtain a Student Visa. Our Student Visa application requires a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which is issued by us. To be issued a CAS you must confirm you have achieved the standard by providing us with one of the listed SELTS or non-SELTS certificates. Our English Language Centre offers courses to help you develop your academic English language skills – both before (pre-sessional courses) and during (term-time workshops) your studies.