Group of Embraced Students with Backpacks Walking After School
The opportunity to spend a year abroad as part of your studies is an exciting, potentially life changing, prospect.
Understanding the expected costs before you immerse yourself in another culture can help you really make the most of your time without unnecessary money worries.

Tuition fees

The general principle for exchange is that tuition fees at your host are not payable but you will usually be responsible for your maintenance, travel, visa and insurance costs whilst you are abroad. 
Student Finance provide grant support towards these costs as outlined on their websites: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland (for British Overseas Territories check with your government's education department for available support).
Whilst you do not pay tuition fees at your host university you will still be responsible for University of Plymouth tuition fees. However, if you select to undertake an exchange for a full academic year, your home tuition fee is reduced by 85% – it stays at 100% if you go for only one semester.

Maintenance costs

For Bilateral exchanges you will have to cover your food and accommodation costs.
For ISEP exchanges, we will charge you an ISEP Exchange Program Fee for the food and accommodation costs of the student taking your place here and, in return, you will get an equivalent housing and meal benefit from your host for your living costs. 
Our fees for 2024/25 are £9,300 for the full year, £4,500 for semester 1 and £4,800 for semester 2. You will be invoiced by us for your fee shortly before you depart on your exchange and you can pay it by instalments as you receive your maintenance loan instalments.


Your host university will usually offer you accommodation in their halls. However, if you prefer to go elsewhere:
The Guardian’s Global Student series published, in May 2015, an article on “How to find accommodation for your year abroad.”
These websites offer student accommodation, mainly in Europe:


There are no ‘admin’ charges arising from either a bilateral or an Erasmus+ exchange. If you exchange through ISEP you will pay a non-refundable application fee, and a placement fee when you accept a placement. If, after you have accepted a placement, you then withdraw this fee will not be refunded. You are also obliged to take out and pay for ISEP Student Insurance.


It is essential that you have appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover in place before you begin your exchange, for the duration of your exchange and any periods spent abroad before and after your time at your host. The University of Plymouth is not able to provide this for you.
COE Connections International is a specialist travel insurer offering value-for-money cover for students studying abroad.
The Student General Health Insurance Card (Student GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.
If you have a Student European Health Insurance Card (Student EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a Student GHIC to replace it. You can apply for a Student GHIC on the NHS website (look for - Students studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Switzerland)
Student GHIC and Student EHIC do not replace travel insurance.

Grants and scholarships

Our Student Financial Support Team can advise you on all aspects of student funding when you study abroad, including home tuition fee reductions, bursaries and scholarships.

Study and work abroad mobility grants

Grant support may be available for you to study at our partners or work abroad so long as your mobility last between one and 12 months and is relevant to your degree. The grants are funded by the UK government with the aim of supporting the worldwide mobility of students and vary according to the country of your mobility.
All students applying to study or work abroad are encouraged to apply for a mobility grant. 

Further information on study and work abroad mobility grants 

Globe by Kyle Glenn

Even though you might not be exchanging with ISEP, their Budget Calculator can help you to price up your year abroad.