Faculty training and Schools
All research degree students will be formally registered within one of our five schools. Your ‘home’ school is usually based on the location of your Director of Studies. Each school has a designated academic staff who leads the school’s postgraduate research matters.
Research students are embedded within the intellectual life of the university through several tiers of research training, including:
- local discipline’s integration of students into research units (delivering subject specific training)
- school-level support scheme of research trips, conference attendance, mentorships
- bring students from across the range of disciplines into one space to study research methodologies and skills
- the Arts Institute, which both offers a platform and enables students to prepare their research for external dissemination
- organise an annual faculty doctoral conference
- offer bi-weekly faculty postgraduate research café
- university’s doctoral college supports and provides research training for all postgraduate researchers and supervisors at the University of Plymouth through their Researcher Development Programme.