Faculty training and research
All research degree students will be formally registered within one of our five schools. Your ‘home’ school is usually based on the location of your Director of Studies. Each school has a designated academic staff member who leads the school’s postgraduate research matters.
Research students are embedded in the intellectual life of the university through several tiers of research training, including the following:
- Local disciplines’ integration of students into research units (delivering subject-specific training).
- A faculty-wide training programme on research skills and methodologies (this is delivered through blended learning).
- School-level funding schemes for research trips, conference attendance, and mentorships.
- Annual Faculty Doctoral Conference.
- Monthly Faculty Postgraduate Research Café.
- Engagement with the Bridge and creative industries (this is for PGR students who are interested in knowledge exchange projects, whereby their research can inform non-academic beneficiaries).
- The Arts Institute, which both offers a research platform and enables students to prepare their research for external dissemination.
- The university’s doctoral college supports and provides research training for all postgraduate researchers and supervisors at the University of Plymouth through its Researcher Development Programme.