Research at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Translational interdisciplinary medical, dental and biomedical research with global impact, from the lab to the clinic and the community
On behalf of Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine & Dentistry (PU PSMD), it is my pleasure to introduce you to our world-class research and innovation.
Ranked first for research outputs in Clinical Medicine in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, we are an exciting, dynamic, rapidly expanding research operation with a reputation for exceptional quality. Our capabilities are being further enhanced by the construction of the Derriford Research Facility, a £14.8m investment into the University’s biomedical research infrastructure, which will provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories for PU PSMD researchers and our partners.
This facility will form part of our flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), where research into the development of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches is driven by our Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, focusing on our core research themes of Cancer, Clinical Neurosciences and Infection, Immunity & Inflammation.
Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Health Services Research, connects researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.
Our research across health and medicine is enabled by the Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), the South West’s only UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Clinical Trials Unit.
Our Healthcare Education and Assessment Research, led by the Internationally renowned team at CAMERA (Collaboration for the Advancement of Medical Education Research and Assessment), facilitates improvements in patient safety and engagement through evidence-based professional education.
Central to our continuing success are the key partnerships and expertise that underpin our research and innovation activity, our skilled and dedicated academic, research, professional services and administrative staff and our exceptional research students.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
PU PSMD research latest news
- New study identifies successful method to reduce dental implant failure 27 March 2017
- Plymouth/Macau agreement seeks to foster and further work on dementia 24 March 2017
- International impact of dementia conference 20 March 2017
- Student project focuses on social housing and oral health 17 March 2017
- Funders need to take more responsibility for the efficiency of the research they fund 9 March 2017
Derriford Research Facility
Plymouth University is building a prestigious £14.8 million biomedical research facility to provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility
PU PSMD research seminars and events
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 19 April 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 21 April 2017 16:30 - 17:30
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 26 April 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 3 May 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Laboratory Tour 10 May 2017
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 10 May 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 17 May 2017 13:00 - 14:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine seminars 27 June 2017 16:30 - 17:30
- Laboratory Tour 12 July 2017
- Laboratory Tour 8 November 2017
Postgraduate research degrees
Everything you need to know about our range of postgraduate research degreesDiscover more
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)