Research at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Translational interdisciplinary medical, dental and biomedical research with global impact, from the lab to the clinic and the community
On behalf of Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD), it is my pleasure to introduce you to our world-class research and innovation.
Ranked first for research outputs in Clinical Medicine in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, we are an exciting, dynamic, rapidly expanding research operation with a reputation for exceptional quality. Our capabilities have been further enhanced by the construction of the Derriford Research Facility, a £17 million investment into the University’s biomedical research infrastructure, which will provide additional state-of-the-art laboratories for PU PSMD researchers and our partners.
This facility forms part of and is the headquarters for our flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), where research into the development of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches is driven by our Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group,
focusing on our core research themes of Cancer,
Neuroscience and Infection,
Immunity, Inflammation and cross-cutting Diagnostics,
Trials and Public
Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Community and Primary Care Research, connects researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.Our research across health and medicine is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU).
Our Healthcare Education and Assessment Research, led by the Internationally renowned team at CAMERA (Collaboration for the Advancement of Medical Education Research and Assessment), facilitates improvements in patient safety and engagement through evidence-based professional education.
Central to our continuing success are the key partnerships, facilities and services that underpin our research and innovation activity, our skilled and dedicated academic, research, professional services and administrative staff and our exceptional research students.
We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Professor Adrian Taylor Associate Dean for Research
Professor Adrian Taylor - Associate Dean for Research at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine & Dentistry
PUPSMD research news
- New research sheds light on underlying cause of stroke 15 March 2018
- Researchers recruiting local smokers to major national study looking at reducing cigarette consumption 7 March 2018
- Professor co-authors paper on landmark bladder cancer trial 1 March 2018
- Researcher secures funding to further investigate treatment for neuro-tumours 1 March 2018
- University spinout to collaborate on development of water testing products 31 January 2018
Derriford Research Facility - opening symposium
Join us to celebrate the opening of the Derriford Research Facility – the prestigious, new headquarters of the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED).
This all-day event will feature invited key-note speakers and showcase ITSMED's world-class clinical and biomedical research.Registration and further information on the symposium
PU PSMD research seminars and events
- Global Health Cafes 21 March 2018 13:15 - 14:00
- Glial plasticity in regeneration and tumorigenesis 28 March 2018 10:30 - 11:30
- Laboratory Tour 11 April 2018 16:00 - 18:00
- Global Health Cafes 18 April 2018 13:15 - 14:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine – Derriford Research Facility Opening Symposium 16 May 2018 09:30 - 16:35
- Laboratory Tour 13 June 2018 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 12 September 2018 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 14 November 2018 16:00 - 18:00
Postgraduate research degrees at PUPSMD
Everything you need to know about our range of postgraduate research degreesDiscover more
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)