The Arts Institute is the curated public arts programme of the University of Plymouth which plays a pivotal role in building culture and art in the city and South West region, supporting established, new and emerging artists from around the world.
It comprises The Levinsky Gallery, a space for engaging, contemporary artworks; the Jill Craigie Cinema which screens a diverse range of classic films and contemporary cinematic masterpieces; a cutting-edge theatre and dance programme in The House; musical performances and concerts, and a year-long series of fascinating talks that open up a world of art, literature and history.
Open to everybody.
Contact us: email@example.com
The Arts Institute's public programme promotes audience engagement, access to the arts, and directly supports emerging and established artists' careers. Please consider a donation to support development and delivery of our programme.
What's on this season
- Musica Viva presents Southbank Sinfonia 4 February 2023 19:00 - 21:30
- The Armada Maps and other gems of the National Museum of the Royal Navy’s Collection 14 February 2023 19:00 - 20:20
- Encounters at the End of the World (U) 20 February 2023 19:00 - 20:40
- CLIMAVORE Workshops: Touching Ground in Coxside 25 February 2023 12:00 - 15:00
- Bitesize: The Butterfly Effect: The life and relevance of the Lepidoptera collections at The Box 1 March 2023 13:00 - 13:45
Heidi Morstang: Field Observations
Film Series | Heidi Morstang: Field Observations
III Symfonia - Janusz Orlik
“III Symfonia captivates with sincerity of the message using minimal, subtle means. The choreographic sketches reveal the image of the human body, which is sensitive, fragile, gets tired quickly, and at the same time it has an amazing amount of strength and the ability to heal itself.” Dance trajectory
Historical Association Talks
Latest news from The Arts Institute
- University set to host unique multi-art festival in celebration of Expressionism 17 February 2022
- The Arts Institute Film Commission 2021 21 July 2021
- Artists unveiled for Plymouth Contemporary 2021 6 May 2021
- British Art Show 9 confirms new dates 19 February 2021
- American portrait painter Kehinde Wiley heads packed programme of public arts for the University of Plymouth 23 September 2020
We are proud to have hosted a diverse range of contemporary art and culture supporting established, new and emerging artists from around the world.
Animal Condensed by Jennet Thomas, Revolutionary Inventions season, 2018
Contact The Arts Institute
The Arts Institute, Roland Levinsky Building, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA
The Levinsky Gallery, Tuesday – Friday 10:00-17:00 and Saturday – Sunday 12:00-17:00 (closed Mondays and Bank Holidays)