Our season from September 2023
The Arts Institute is the curated public arts programme of the University of Plymouth which plays a pivotal role in building culture and art in the city and South West region, supporting established, new and emerging artists from around the world.
It comprises The Levinsky Gallery, a space for engaging, contemporary artworks; the Jill Craigie Cinema which screens a diverse range of classic films and contemporary cinematic masterpieces; a cutting-edge theatre and dance programme in The House; musical performances and concerts, and a year-long series of fascinating talks that open up a world of art, literature and history.
Open to everybody.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Arts Institute's public programme promotes audience engagement, access to the arts, and directly supports emerging and established artists' careers. Please consider a donation to support development and delivery of our programme.
What's on this season
- An Ode to the Sea – Book Launch and Research Evening 27 September 2023 18:00 - 20:00
- Keynote Speech: Plotting Against the Plantation by Annalee Davis 28 September 2023 16:45 - 17:45
- An Ode to the Sea: an exhibition of photographic work 25 September 2023 09:00 - 29 September 2023 16:00
- Russian Conquest: the case of Central Asia 3 October 2023 19:00 - 20:20
- Reframing Reynolds 7 October 2023 10:00 - 17:00
The Musica Viva Concert Series brings internationally acclaimed performers to our Plymouth community to inspire, educate, challenge, and unite audiences by presenting world-class musicians in public concert performances, open rehearsals, and informal talks.
Historical Association talks
This talk reflects on political power and economic development in Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland in the final years of colonial rule.
This talk shines a light on the fascinating history of Mill Prison in Plymouth. Purpose-built in 1695, the site originally held 300 prisoners overflowing from hulks moored on the Hamoaze.
Latest news from The Arts Institute
- Musica Viva launches new season 14 September 2023
- Dive into our arts programme for 2023-24 4 September 2023
- Exhibition aims to celebrate the connection between lives and landscapes 10 February 2023
- University set to host unique multi-art festival in celebration of Expressionism 17 February 2022
- The Arts Institute Film Commission 2021 21 July 2021
We are proud to have hosted a diverse range of contemporary art and culture supporting established, new and emerging artists from around the world.
Contact The Arts Institute
The Arts Institute, Roland Levinsky Building, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA
The Levinsky Gallery, Monday–Friday 10:00–17:00, Saturday 12:00–17:00, Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays