- Artificial vision sensing
- Biologically inspired control and behaviour
- Cognitive robotics
- Humanoid robotics and human–robot interaction
- Intelligent multi-agent behaviour
- Interaction between humans and intelligent systems, with an emphasis on language and nonverbal communication
- Real-world interactive applications such as robot companions
- Applications of mathematical and computational modelling, brain imaging, visualisation and cognitive modelling
- Big data analysis (statistical and machine learning methodologies)
- Big data infrastructure (Cloud/Grid/HPC/Stream Computing)
- Big data management (Search Distributed and Peer-to-peer Search)
- Deep learning
- Theoretical and computational neuroscience
Dr Francesca Stramandinoli conducted her PhD as a Marie Curie Fellow within the RobotDoC Initial Training Network, before receiving a scholarship award to attend one of the most important summer schools on machine learning held in Canberra, Australia. A year later, she had the honour of being invited to speak at the Innovation Convention organised by the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium. She is now a Senior Research Engineer, Human Robotics AI Expert at the United Technologies Research Center in Connecticut, USA.
"Studying at the University gave me the chance to join a well-established international research team. Thanks to that, I could interact with researchers leading the field of cognitive robotics and build a wide network of connections. I would definitely recommend undertaking research here. The University offers not only excellent training programmes in numerous fields, but also an inspiring, dynamic and international research environment."
Dr Francesca Stramandinoli, Senior Research Engineer, Human Robotics AI Expert United Technologies Research Center, Connecticut, USA
Postgraduate Research Coordinators
If you are thinking about becoming a postgraduate researcher at the University of Plymouth, you are welcome to contact the Postgraduate Research Coordinators in your field of interest.
How to apply for a research degree
Do you need more information about admissions requirements?