Health, vulnerability and inequality
- Culture, community and society
- Parenting and child welfare
- Rural issues and community
- Social and public policy
- Wellbeing and poverty
Environment, culture and society
- Crime and bad behaviour
- Environment, development and governance
- Harms of hate and prejudice
- Histories of crime and criminalisation
- Marine and coastal policy
- Rural crime and crime control
Global instability and justice
- Crime, social exclusion and minorities
- EU regional policy and international environmental agreements
- Global governance and north–south relations
- Governance and crime
- Maritime policymaking and logistics
- Policing and community safety
- Probation and offender management
- Security and development in international affairs
- Urban and regional planning
- Urban living and the regulation of public space
Postgraduate research opportunities
Although you can do research in any of the areas above, you may wish to look at these programmes:
Our research community
We represent an integrated team of outstanding researchers with expertise across law, social policy and criminology, with extensive links with sociology, history and psychology. Our vibrant and sustainable research culture offers a dynamic space for researchers to engage with each other across disciplinary boundaries within an inclusive and coherent environment that provides support and guidance for all researchers, including mentoring of postgraduate and early career researchers.
Discover more about
our research and researchersin law and criminology.
Postgraduate Research Coordinators
If you are thinking about becoming a postgraduate researcher at the University of Plymouth, you are welcome to contact the Postgraduate Research Coordinators in your field of interest.
They will discuss potential supervisors with you and answer any questions you might have about embarking on a research degree in their research area.
You may also be interested in:
How to apply for a research degree
Do you need more information about admissions requirements?
We offer a wide variety of degrees, including ResM research degrees, Professional Doctorates and MPhil and PhD doctorate opportunities.