Launch your graduate career
A fortnight of dedicated workshops for final year students and new graduates.
If you would like support with planning your next steps after university join us for:
• a wide variety of sessions,
• a copy of the recording (if you can’t attend live) once registered.
Sign up through myCareer via the links below.
Please remember to set your preferences if you have not already done so.
- 20/02/23, 10:00 – 11:00 CV/Cover letters
- 20/02/23, 14:00 – 15:30 Assessment centres and psychometric tests
- 20/02/23, 15:00 – 16:00 Career planning in a hurry
- 21/02/23, 10:00 – 11:00 Finding hidden vacancies
- 22/02/23, 11:00 – 15:00 EVENT- South West Placement and Graduate Careers Fair (in person)
- 22/02/23, 11:00 – 12:00 Selling your skills
- 22/02/23, 13:00 – 14:00 Sharing disabilities and other conditions with employers
- 23/02/23, 10:00 – 11:00 How to deal with anxieties in recruitment
- 23/02/23, 13:30 – 15:00 EVENT - Employer Insight Panel - Careers in the South West
- 24/02/23, 13:00 – 14:00 Self-employment
- 27/02/23, 14:00 – 15:00 Handy hints when starting a new job
- 28/02/23, 09:00 –13:00 Mock Assessment Centre - limited availability (12 spaces)
- 28/02/23, 10:00 – 11:00 Job search techniques
- 01/03/23, 10:00 – 11:00 Preparing for interviews effectively
- 01/03/23, 12:00 – 16:00 EVENT - Geo-Environmental Placement and Graduate Careers Fair (in person)
- 02/03/23, 10:00 – 10:45 Considering postgraduate study
- 02/03/23, 11:00 – Master Linkedin
- 02/03/23, 11:00 – Working in the UK as an international student
- 02/03/23, 14:00 – 15:00 Progressing your professional development
Where are you now?
We’ve developed resources tailored to supporting you, regardless of where you are with your decision making process.
What happens when?
How can we help?
Our pages have a wide range of resources and advice. One of the most popular for final year students is our ‘Where can your degree subject take you’ section.
As a University of Plymouth student, you have access to myCareer. This is a platform where you can set your preferences to make it work for you. As a final year student it is the go-to place for all queries. You can:
- Search for vacancies and sign up to receive tailored vacancy alerts
- Book to attend events
- Get support with applications: CV builder and CV360 (which will check your CV and offer feedback) and Interview 360 (an automated service to safely practice your interviews)
- Practise psychometric tests
- Prepare for assessment centres
- The digital support tab has a wide range of resources around labour market for particular industries, career quizzes, publications etc.
Through the year we have a rolling programme of workshops which are skills based and help you build skills to help with your career planning. Sessions include:
- CVs and applications
- Assessment centres
- Considering postgraduate study
- Interview skills,
- Master LinkedIn
We offer 2 types of appointments:
- Information and advice - 20 minute appointments to help you with job search/CVs/applications etc. Bookable via myCareer.
- Guidance - 30 minutes with a qualified guidance professional to help you explore your options. Please contact us via email/phone to request this.
Individual appointments will focus on you. We’re not here to make your decisions for you but we can help you explore your options and move your plans forward.
Career Development Coaching
If you are in your final year, have additional barriers and feel that ongoing support throughout the year would be of benefit for you, you can request this through our Career Development Coaching. Typical barriers include – mental health, physical health, being from a minority ethnic group, being from a postcode area where few go to university – more details are available on our equality, social mobility and diversity page. Please email email@example.com if you would like to find out more.
We offer some amazing events throughout the year to help you explore your options. Alongside a variety of different themed careers fairs where you can meet employers, there are Employer Insight Panels. Again themed, we invite a variety of employers to share their wisdom and advice on their industry. These are a great way to explore the realities of potential areas of work. All are advertised on myCareer where you can sign up to secure your place.
If you are starting your final year and you feel a lack of experience may hold you back, take advantage of the opportunities to secure some work experience.
We offer mentoring opportunities (you will be paired with a mentor matched to you career interest) and micro-internships (up to 2 weeks of work experience), sign up to be a Student Ambassador or explore other options including volunteering, part-time jobs or placements.