Self-fee payer

Tuition fee fraud

The Higher Education sector is seeing rising levels of fraud in relation to the payment of tuition fees. Please do not pay your tuition fee through a ‘third party facilitator’, particularly if that facilitator approaches you direct and offers a discount. A ‘third party facilitator’ could also be someone known to you, such as another student, or a former student at the same university.

You should only ever pay your fee direct to the University using our authorised payment methods.

Chinese students have been particularly targeted. The City of London Police’s Dedicated Card and Payment Crime Unit (DCPCU) has issued an information document which provides further information. It is available in English and Chinese.

Please stay alert and if you have any concerns please contact the Student Accounts team in the first instance –

1. I am starting a new programme. How much am I required to pay for tuition fees?

The tuition fees specific to a course or programme are shown in the 'Fees, costs and funding' section of each undergraduate course and taught postgraduate programme web page. Please choose your course using the search box. Tuition fees for postgraduate research students.

Search for a course

2. If I study on a part-time basis how do I calculate my fees?

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student you will be charged only for the modules you undertake each academic year as agreed with your faculty. Each module attracts a specific number of credits and the fees are calculated for each 10 credits you undertake. Please bear in mind that the underlying per 10 credit fee tariff normally increases each academic year during your period of study.

To find out the amount charged per 10 credits please visit the course or programme web page (see the answer to question 1 above).

3. What date should I pay my fees by?

If you are paying all or a portion of your tuition fee personally, University policy is that you pay in full upon enrolment, however we do make provision for students who are unable to pay the full amount at once.

For those programmes commencing between September and December 2020:

  • 33% to be paid by 6 November 2020
  • 33% to be paid by 5 February 2021
  • 34% to be paid by 7 May 2021

For those programmes commencing between January and March 2021:

  • 33% to be paid by 5 March 2021
  • 33% to be paid by 4 June 2021
  • 34% to be paid by 3 September 2021

For those programmes commencing between April and July 2021:

  • 33% to be paid by 4 June 2021
  • 33% to be paid by 3 September 2021
  • 34% to be paid by 3 December 2021


Due to the varied impact of COVID-19 on our students and their finances, the University has extended the payment deadline for students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year to the end of their current stage of enrolment.

Your 2019/2020 tuition fee must be paid in full before you will be permitted to re-enrol onto a further stage of study or Graduate. If you wish to query the balance owed or have any other question in relation to payment of an outstanding tuition fee balance for 2019/2020, please contact the student accounts team by e-mail:

4. I will be receiving a Postgraduate Loan/Doctoral Loan from Student Finance and want to use the funds to pay my tuition fee, what do I need to do?

Please refer to the payment deadlines outlined in Question 3 which should align to the dates by which you receive your loan instalments from Student Finance.

5. Can I pay in instalments?

See question 3.

6. How do I make a payment?

  • Online web payment.
You can pay by debit/credit card or PayPal via our ePayments portal. Simply enter your personal details, the amount you wish to pay and the academic year you are making payment towards. An automatic receipt will be e-mailed to you. 

For European and international students wishing to pay from another country in a different currency and potentially avoid international bank transfer fees please use our GlobalPay facility. This requires a bank transfer to be sent via our agents, Western Union.

  • Bank transfer.

    Payments can also be sent to the University’s bank account.
    Bank: HSBC, 4 Old Town St, Plymouth, PL1 1DD.
    Sort Code: 40-36-22
    Account No. 61485946
    IBAN: GB94HBUK40362261485946
    Account name: University of Plymouth
    Please quote as reference with each payment, your University student number and the academic year for which you are making payment. For example: 12345678 20/21. Failure to do this could result in a delay in the funds being applied to your student account.

If you experience difficulties using these methods or have any questions, please contact the Student Accounts Team at or +44 1752 588130.

7. How do I request a receipt for payment of my tuition fees?

An automatic receipt will be e-mailed to you if you pay via the online ePayments portal. Should you require a receipt for payment by bank transfer or Cheque please email the Student Accounts Team at Please include your student reference number, details of your payment, the name of your programme of study and the academic year you need a receipt for.

10. I am a new applicant and I am not sure if I am classified as a Home/EU student, or as an International Student?

Please see our fee assessment questionnaire for assistance.

12. I think my tuition fees are wrong – who should I contact?

If you believe that your tuition fees have been incorrectly calculated, please contact the Student Accounts Team in the first instance, by email at or by telephone +44 1752 588130. Please provide as much information as possible.

14. I am a postgraduate student who studied for my undergraduate degree at University of Plymouth; Am I eligible for an alumni discount on my tuition fees?

Full details and eligibility criteria can be found viewing our funding for staff and alumni page.

15. What financial assistance is available for postgraduate students?

Student Finance offer a Postgraduate Loan for postgraduate taught students and a Doctoral Loan for postgraduate research students towards the costs of postgraduate study.

  • Postgraduate taught students – if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020 you can apply for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £11,222 for your whole course. If you’re studying for two, three or four academic years, the loan will be divided equally across each year of your course. See the Student Finance website for details of eligibility, exclusions etc.
  • Postgraduate research students  – if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020 you can apply for a Doctoral Loan of up to £26,445 for your whole course if it lasts between three – eight years. The loan will be divided equally across each year of your course. See the Student Finance website for details of eligibility, exclusions etc.
  • Most students on PGCE programmes can receive undergraduate student funding, contact Student Finance for more information.
Some UK students on postgraduate programmes opt to take out a Postgraduate Loan to fund their masters study.
Other options include employer sponsorship or bursaries (if you are studying eligible courses – visit the NHS Business Services Authority for more information).

16. What financial assistance is available for international students?

International students at undergraduate level usually pay their own fees sometimes funded through taking out loans in their home countries. Another route is sponsorship by a government or embassy body.

A scholarship is available for all qualifying international students – please view our undergraduate international scholarships information.

At postgraduate level, scholarships may be available – please view our postgraduate scholarships for international students information. Alternatively, sponsorship from your embassy may be available.

17. I am thinking of withdrawing/interrupting my studies, how does this affect my tuition fee? 

The University will apply its policy on tuition fees payable by students who withdraw or interrupt their studies. Please note: if you wish to interrupt or withdraw from your programme, you must do more than simply stop attending. You must advise your faculty office by submitting a withdrawal or interrupt study form. For the policy and form please view our debt advice page.

Did you find what you were looking for? If you can’t find the answer to your query in the information provided here, please get in touch. We’ll be happy to help. Email us at or call us on +44 1752 588130.