Placements & Employer Liaison Adviser
Pre-Placement module lead (Technology & Engineering)
Increasingly so, employers are actively recruiting graduates with actual work experience behind them. This makes for a competitive graduate job market, but there are some simple choices you can make throughout your university experience that can really help you. Deciding on completing a ‘placement year’ is an excellent way to gain that competitive edge, in time for when the graduation schemes launch.
What are the key benefits of a placement year?
- Get a taste of your chosen career and gain self-confidence
- Earn some money whilst gaining experience. Placements on average pay between £14,000 and £19,000 per year, depending on location
- Gain professional knowledge and skills that will help you towards the successful completion of your final year of study
- Start building your own network of contacts and connections in industry
- Gain key ‘employability skills’. Employers favour graduates with real and relevant work
- Experience who then evidence graduate attributes and skills such as teamwork, communication, problem-solving
- Various placements can lead to full-time employment at graduate level, with the same company.
Find out more about our students' inspiring placementsThe computing degree students at the University of Plymouth have been highly successful in obtaining positions in top-class companies. The students have taken on placements at well-known multinational companies, such as: IBM, Intel, HP and Microsoft
Find out more about our students' inspiring placementsOn your placement, you will find yourself working with a whole range of professionals, from new engineering graduates, right through to experts with years of experience
Find out more about our students' inspiring placementsA placement will help you develop across a wide range of mathematical and non-mathematical aspects of working life. In this context you can see the value of attention to detail, creative problem solving and abstraction in a whole host of areas
We offer students, graduates and employers quality and impartial information, advice and guidance. Whether you are a student looking for part-time work, a graduate wanting to kickstart your career or an employer looking to raise your profile or promote specific jobs, we can help.