Ranked first in the UK for research output quality in Clinical Medicine
Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed).
Headquartered in the University’s prestigious new Derriford Research Facility, next door to University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, ITSMed brings together scientists, clinicians and expertise from across the spectrum of scientific discovery, medical research and health technology, to conduct world-class laboratory, clinical and applied health research.
The Institute’s dynamic, collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment and integrative ‘bench to bedside and back’ approach enables development of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and approaches to prevent, detect and treat devastating diseases, enhance patient outcomes, and improve global healthcare.
The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise from across the University of Plymouth’s Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry and beyond.
ITSMed is home to the University of Plymouth's internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), Medical Statistics, Systems Biology Centre and Light Microscopy teams.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Derriford Research Facility (DRF)
Recently opened by HRH The Princess Royal, the DRF is the state-of-the-art headquarters of the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed).
Home to ITSMed's world-class clinical and biomedical research and our internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
- New fund to remember local businessman who died from brain tumour 21 March 2019
- Research shows key function of specialised cells in peripheral nerve repair 6 February 2019
- University spinout receives £1.2million government funding to tackle antimicrobial resistance 4 February 2019
- University researchers to tackle drug-resistant disease that jumps from pigs to humans 25 January 2019
- Why integrated teaching is important for dental professionals 17 January 2019
Research seminars and events
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed) Research Progress Seminars 22 March 2019 14:00 - 15:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed) Research Progress Seminars 29 March 2019 14:00 - 15:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed) Research Progress Seminars 5 April 2019 14:00 - 15:00
- Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed) Research Progress Seminars 12 April 2019 14:00 - 15:00
- Laboratory Tour 8 May 2019 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 11 September 2019 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 13 November 2019 16:00 - 18:00