Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED).Headquartered in the University’s prestigious new £17M Derriford Research Facility, ITSMED brings together world-class research strengths in both basic laboratory and translational clinical science, providing a strong, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment to develop high-impact, translational research of clinical relevance.
The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise from across the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD) and beyond.
ITSMED is home to the University of Plymouth's internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), Medical Statistics and Systems Biology Centre teams.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
We look forward to hearing from you.
- University spinout to collaborate on development of water testing products 31 January 2018
- GP shortage: study shows factors associated with choosing to apply 24 January 2018
- Collaborative action for the delivery of effective person-centred coordinated care 24 November 2017
- Research hopes to make dental visits less stressful for children with autism 22 November 2017
- Autism research team invited on to national network 21 November 2017
Future seminars and events
- International Women’s Day 2018 – Global Health Conference 8 March 2018 13:30 - 17:00
- South West Society for Academic Primary Care Regional Meeting 2018 13 March 2018 - 14 March 2018
- Annual Research Event 2018 for Postgraduate Research 15 March 2018
- Global Health Cafes 21 March 2018 13:15 - 14:00
- Glial plasticity in regeneration and tumorigenesis 28 March 2018 10:30 - 11:30
Derriford Research Facility
Prestigious new £17 million HQ of the Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine, providing additional state-of-the-art laboratories and a research-intensive environment for World-leading scientists to investigate a range of devastating diseases.
The facility will have a transformative effect on the region's medical landscape while enhancing the global impact of the University's research.Find out more about the new Derriford Research Facility