Ranked first in the UK for research output quality in Clinical Medicine
Welcome to the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed).
Headquartered in the University’s prestigious new Derriford Research Facility, next door to University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust, ITSMed brings together scientists, clinicians and expertise from across the spectrum of scientific discovery, medical research and health technology, to conduct world-class laboratory, clinical and applied health research.
The Institute’s dynamic, collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment and integrative ‘bench to bedside and back’ approach enables development of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and approaches to prevent, detect and treat devastating diseases, enhance patient outcomes, and improve global healthcare.
The Institute hosts two major research groups, Biomedical Research Group and Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group, with combined facilities and resources that cluster researchers with recognised expertise from across the University of Plymouth’s Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences and beyond.
ITSMed is home to the University of Plymouth's internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
Our focus is on three core research themes: Cancer, Clinical Neuroscience and Infection, Immunity, Inflammation, facilitated by cross-cutting expertise in Diagnostics, Clinical Trials and Public Health research.
This translational research is enabled by the University of Plymouth’s UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU), Medical Statistics, Systems Biology Centre and Light Microscopy teams.
Our research strengths were confirmed by the excellent results from our submission to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 which ranked us first in the UK for quality of research outputs in clinical medicine, above medical schools at Oxford and Cambridge.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Derriford Research Facility (DRF)
Opened by HRH The Princess Royal, the DRF is the state-of-the-art headquarters of the University of Plymouth’s Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMed).
Home to ITSMed's world-class clinical and biomedical research and our internationally renowned Brain Tumour Research Centre of Excellence.
- Fundraising family and friends take total over £35,000 for University Huntington’s disease research 4 December 2019
- Study finds new method to reduce levels of Huntington’s disease-causing protein in cells 31 October 2019
- Could gum disease be linked to oral cancer? New research to investigate 29 October 2019
- Chief Dental Officer helps celebrate increased training capacity at University of Plymouth 16 October 2019
- Mouthwash use could inhibit benefits of exercise, new research shows 3 September 2019
Research seminars and events
- Healthy living, healthy liver | Research Festival 2020 21 January 2020 13:00 - 15:30
- ITSMed Brain Tumour Research Symposium 2020 23 January 2020 09:30 - 13:30
- Mitophagy, from genetics to biology, and back 4 February 2020 15:00 - 16:00
- Laboratory Tour 26 February 2020 16:00 - 18:00
- Laboratory Tour 6 May 2020 16:00 - 18:00