Assisting Devon-based SMEs with big data and environmental challenges
The Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab project gives Devon-based SMEs the opportunity to work collaboratively with our scientists and technologists to develop new products, services or processes with a focus on big data and safeguarding the environment.
Larger enterprises can be involved through challenge events, where collaborative working with businesses and individuals can work on solving the most pressing environmental and big data issues.
- Introduction to R and RStudio workshop (10 January 2020)
- European Study Group (TBC)
- Remote sensing and GIS data workshop (date TBC)
If you are interested in these topics please let us know as we can run the workshops again.
- Immersive data and visualisations workshop (July 2019)
- Social media workshop (Autumn 2019)
- Life cycle assessments for small businesses workshop (October 2019)
Access research expertise and facilities
Through Impact Lab you can access a variety of research expertise and facilities at the University of Plymouth, including:
- Collaboration with experts in earth and environmental sciences, computing and mathematics, and digital arts and creative media
- Free business support to solve a key technical challenge in the development of a new product, service or process
- Physical facilities such as workstations, meeting rooms and demonstration space
- Access to the University's Immersive Vision Theatre and other facilities
- Grants for products and services to make your project successful (such as development and testing costs, or intellectual property applications).
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @efbd_impactlab
- Tel: 01752 585599
- Visit The Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab website.
The Impact Lab Showreel
Professor Iain Stewart
Director of the Sustainable Earth Institute
Mrs Sarah Fear
Project and Knowledge Exchange Manager
Mr Luke Christison
Senior Technical Project Manager
Dr Lauranne Fauvet
Research Fellow in Geo Data Science
Dr Lauren Ansell
Research Fellow in Data Science and Statistics
Mr Joel Hodges
Teaching and Support Assistant
Professor Mike Phillips
Professor of Interdisciplinary Arts
Dr Antonio Rago
Dr Luciana Dalla Valle
Associate Professor of Data Science and Statistics
Dr Michelle Harris
Lecturer in Earth Sciences
Dr Irene Manzella
Lecturer in Engineering Geology
Mr Chris Booth
Lecturer in Internet Design
Mr Les Roper
A Sustainable Earth Institute project
This is just one of many projects supported by the Sustainable Earth Institute. Promoting a new way of thinking about the future of our world.More about the Sustainable Earth Institute
The University of Plymouth is proud to be supported by the European Regional Development Fund. As one stream of funding under the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) Growth Programme 2014–2020, the ERDF focuses on smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
The main priorities involve contributions to research and innovation, supporting and promoting small and medium size enterprises (SMEs), and the creation of a low carbon economy.