The work here presented has been done using the proven AR Drone 2.0, produced by the French company Parrot Inc. It represents a valid option for research purposes because it is very affordable ($250 USD in 2017) and it comprises multiple sensors in a unique platform. It is equipped with an external hull for indoor navigation and it is mainly piloted using smart-phones and tablets through the application released by the producer over a WiFi network.
The specification of the UAV are as follows:
- Dimensions: 53 cm x 52 cm (hull included);
- Weight: 420 g;
- Inertial Measurements Units (IMU) including gyroscope, accelerometer, magnetometer, altimeter and pressure sensor;
- Front-camera with a High-definition (HD) resolution (1280x720), a field of view (FOV) of 73.5° x 58.5° and video streamed at 30 frame per second (fps);
- Bottom-camera with a Quarted Video graphics Array (QVGA) resolution (320x240), a FOV of 47.5◦ x 36.5◦ and video streamed at 60 fps;
- Central processing unit running an embedded version of Linux operating system;