Welcome to the Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PUPSMD). The group forms part of the University’s flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), focusing on the development, testing and evaluation of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches.
In addition, areas of our work connect researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC) and Cognition Institute (CI), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.
CTPS group lead
The Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) hosts:
- Large epidemiological studies and trials from cancer to multiple sclerosis, mental health to diabetes, Parkinson’s disease to dementia and health improvement through behaviour change, diet and exercise, smoking cessation and interventions to address alcohol and substance misuse.
- Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Community and Primary Care Research Group, working in Public Health research as part of the National Institute for Health Research Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care South West Peninsula (NIHR PenCLAHRC).
- The UKCRC registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU).
- Our dedicated Medical Statistics team, providing statistical analysis and support across a wide range of biomedical and clinical research areas.
- Our Clinician led medical research group, conducting clinical trials focused research to develop and evaluate novel drugs, medical treatments and diagnostics for patient benefit.
- Internationally renowned expertise in design and validation of Patient Outcome Scales, cognitive assessment apps and eHealth tools within our Clinical Neurology group.
- Our Oral health services research and Obesity & diabetes research teams.
- NIHR Research Design Service South West, supporting the preparation of applications for applied health or social care research, providing expert advice on research design and methodology.
Our events and seminars
- Transitioning from homelessness into a sustained tenancy. A role for occupational therapists? 28 February 2018 12:30 - 13:30
- Crowdfunding to support moving our research to practice 12 March 2018 12:00 - 13:00
- Exercise on referral: past, present and the future 29 March 2018 11:00 - 12:00
- Trainee GP named best in her field at national awards 5 December 2017
- Research panel chair appointment for Plymouth medical research statistician 24 November 2017
- New study underpins the future of Person Centred Care 16 November 2017
- New research shows asthma drug’s effectiveness over usual care alone 12 September 2017
- National report on airport accessibility 31 August 2017
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PU PSMD)