Welcome to the Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) at Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry (PUPSMD). The group forms part of the University’s flagship Institute of Translational and Stratified Medicine (ITSMED), focusing on the development, testing and evaluation of new therapeutics, diagnostics, interventions and preventative approaches.
In addition, areas of our work connect researchers, expertise and activity across both ITSMed and the University’s Institute for Health and Community (IHC) and Cognition Institute (CI), to investigate and evaluate treatments and preventative approaches across the healthcare sector.
CTPS group lead
The Clinical Trials and Population Studies Group (CTPS) hosts:
- Large epidemiological studies and trials from cancer to multiple sclerosis, mental health to diabetes, Parkinson’s disease to dementia and health improvement through behaviour change, diet and exercise, smoking cessation and interventions to address alcohol and substance misuse.
- Our high-impact, interdisciplinary Community and Primary Care Research Group, working in Public Health research as part of the National Institute for Health Research Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care South West Peninsula (NIHR PenCLAHRC).
- The UKCRC registered Peninsula Clinical Trials Unit (PenCTU).
- Our dedicated Medical Statistics team, providing statistical analysis and support across a wide range of biomedical and clinical research areas.
- Our Clinician led medical research group, conducting clinical trials focused research to develop and evaluate novel drugs, medical treatments and diagnostics for patient benefit.
- Internationally renowned expertise in design and validation of Patient Outcome Scales, cognitive assessment apps and eHealth tools within our Clinical Neurology group.
- Our Oral health services research and Obesity & diabetes research teams.
- NIHR Research Design Service South West, supporting the preparation of applications for applied health or social care research, providing expert advice on research design and methodology.
- Report shows progress of UK airports in helping people with hidden disabilities 12 June 2018
- National prenatal screening contract renewed with University 29 May 2018
- What makes a community dementia friendly? 25 May 2018
- Researchers recruiting local smokers to major national study looking at reducing cigarette consumption 7 March 2018
- Professor co-authors paper on landmark bladder cancer trial 1 March 2018
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
Hands on learning, exceptional partnerships and patient-focused research. Train with us to be a doctor, dentist or medical researcher of tomorrow.Discover more about the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry