This module will develop comprehensive and systematic knowledge in key aspects of patient care provision, within dynamic, hazardous situations. This knowledge will be underpinned by critical appraisal and discussion around the evidence base for the provision of patient management in a variety of hazardous environments.
Delivery of the module is distance led with formal guidance and support provided in a variety of modalities. Informal support is also provided through assigned tutors.
The module will be assessed via the production of a piece of coursework that will incorporate critical analysis of diverse risk, mitigation strategies, team working with partner agencies and clinical judgements made within a hazardous, peripatetic environment.
7 - masters degree
ADV769 course details
- Safe working at height
- HazMat/CBRNe extended breathing apparatus
- Water operations
- Confined spaces
On successful completion of the module you will be able to:
- Critically discuss the systematic approach to risk management in hazardous environments, including assessment and mitigation strategies.
- Critically review the complexities with patient care, when operating within perilous environments and what adaptations are needed with clinical decision making.
- Critically appraise the interprofessional approach when working with partner agencies in problematic situations.
- Critically evaluate the effectiveness of current policies and approaches in relation to the contemporary evidence base.
- application forms
- change of name forms
- pre-course information
- downloadable guides
- student card.
To be considered for a place on this module you require:
Evidence of attainment or evidence of recertification (must show currency within two years of application) of two of the following HART / NARU recognised qualifications in the areas of:
- safe working at heights
- HazMat/ CBRNe extended duration breathing apparatus
- water operations
- confined spaces
Each student will be considered and advised individually (where required) by the programme team and Professional Development Unit. Please contact the PDU or programme lead if you have any queries regarding your situation.
Fees and funding
Please see our professional development module fees page.
This module will not be running in 2021 / 22.
Contact the Professional Development Unit for more information.
The module lead is Tristan Henderson.
You can contact the Professional Development Unit with any queries
Prospective student enquiries:
Phone: +44 1752 586951
Current student enquiries:
Professional Development Unit, Level 4 Rolle Building, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, United Kingdom.
Monday–Thursday 8:30–17:00 and Friday 8:30–16:30.