Marine research at Plymouth University can be summarised into eight broad themes, with key research areas listed:
Urbarova I, Patel H, Forêt S, Karlsen BO, Jørgensen TE, Hall-Spencer JM, Johansen SD (2018) Elucidating the small regulatory RNA repertoire of the sea anemone Anemonia viridis based on whole genome and small RNA sequencing. Genome Biology and Evolution 10, :410-426 doi: 10.1093/gbe/evy003.
- L. Lo, S.T. Belt, J. Lattaud, T. Friedrich, C. Zeeden, S. Schouten, L. Smik, A. Timmermann, P. Cabedo-Sanz, J.J. Huang, & L. Zhou (2018) Precession and atmospheric CO 2 modulated variability of sea ice in the central Okhotsk Sea since 130 000 years ago. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 488:36-45.
- I. Urbarova, H. Patel, S. Forêt, B.O. Karlsen , T.E. Jørgensen, J.M. Hall-Spencer & S.D. Johansen (2018) Elucidating the small regulatory RNA repertoire of the sea anemone Anemonia viridis based on whole genome and small RNA sequencing. Genome Biology and Evolution, 10:410-426
- M. Truebano, O. Tills, M. Collins, C. Clarke, E. Shipsides, C. Wheatley & J.I. Spicer (2018) Short-term acclimation in adults does not predict offspring acclimation potential to hypoxia. Scientific Reports, 8:3174.
- B.L. Hartley, S. Pahl, M. Holland, I. Alampei, J.M. Veiga and R.C. Thompson (2018) Turning the tide on trash: Empowering European educators and school students to tackle marine litter. Marine Policy, in press.
- A. Turner (2018) Mobilisation kinetics of hazardous elements in marine plastics subject to an avian physiologically-based extraction test. Environmental Pollution, in press.
- N. Wang, Z. Sun, J. Yin, S.F. Su, & S. Sharma (2018). Finite-Time Observer Based Guidance and Control of Underactuated Surface Vehicles with Unknown Sideslip Angles and Disturbances. IEEE Access, in press.
- J. Taylor, S. Bachman, M. Stamper, P. J. Hosegood, K. Adams, J. B. Sallee & R. Torres (2018). Submesoscale Rossby waves on the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Science Advances, in press.
- V. Vlasenko, N. Stashchuk, & W.A.M Nimmo-Smith (2018) Three-Dimensional Dynamics of Baroclinic Tides Over a Seamount. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, in press.
Caribbean lobster fisheries sustained by ‘dark carbon’
Scientists have discovered that one of the most important fisheries in the American region is being sustained by an unusual food source – ‘dark carbon’.
Dark carbon is produced by chemosynthesis, which is the biological creation of organic matter using chemical energy from the environment.Learn more about the study