Marine research at Plymouth University can be summarised into eight broad themes, with key research areas listed:
- Rees SE, Foster NL, Langmead O, Griffiths C, Fletcher S, Pittman S, Johnson D, Attrill MJ (2018) Bridging the divide: A framework for social-ecological coherence in Marine Protected Area network design. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. (in press)
- Urbarova I, Patel H, Forêt S, Karlsen BO, Jørgensen TE, Hall-Spencer JM, Johansen SD (2018) Elucidating the small regulatory RNA repertoire of the sea anemone Anemonia viridis based on whole genome and small RNA sequencing. Genome Biology and Evolution 10:410-426 doi: 10.1093/gbe/evy003.
- L. Lo, S.T. Belt, J. Lattaud, T. Friedrich, C. Zeeden, S. Schouten, L. Smik, A. Timmermann, P. Cabedo-Sanz, J.J. Huang, & L. Zhou (2018) Precession and atmospheric CO 2 modulated variability of sea ice in the central Okhotsk Sea since 130 000 years ago. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 488:36-45.
- M. Truebano, O. Tills, M. Collins, C. Clarke, E. Shipsides, C. Wheatley & J.I. Spicer (2018) Short-term acclimation in adults does not predict offspring acclimation potential to hypoxia. Scientific Reports, 8:3174.
- B.L. Hartley, S. Pahl, M. Holland, I. Alampei, J.M. Veiga and R.C. Thompson (2018) Turning the tide on trash: Empowering European educators and school students to tackle marine litter. Marine Policy, in press.
- N. Wang, Z. Sun, J. Yin, S.F. Su, & S. Sharma (2018). Finite-Time Observer Based Guidance and Control of Underactuated Surface Vehicles with Unknown Sideslip Angles and Disturbances. IEEE Access, in press.
- J. Taylor, S. Bachman, M. Stamper, P. J. Hosegood, K. Adams, J. B. Sallee & R. Torres (2018). Submesoscale Rossby waves on the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Science Advances, in press.
Caribbean lobster fisheries sustained by ‘dark carbon’
Scientists have discovered that one of the most important fisheries in the American region is being sustained by an unusual food source – ‘dark carbon’.
Dark carbon is produced by chemosynthesis, which is the biological creation of organic matter using chemical energy from the environment.Learn more about the study