About the projectSTEM Graduates into Business provides opportunities for recent graduates in science, technology, engineering and maths to undertake 6-12 month paid internships with Devon based, innovative small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs).
Run by the University of Plymouth but open to STEM graduates from any university, these internships are a great way to gain CV enhancing work experience and build industry contacts.
For STEM graduates
Benefits of working for an SMEThere are over 5000 SMEs across Devon that bring much to the local economy in terms of business output and employment. Many graduates overlook them in favour of large, well-known companies and miss out on the unique experience that working with an SME can provide.
- Opportunities to work on key projects from the start.
- A varied workload in a more personable working environment.
- Potential of being given responsibility from an early stage.
- Exposure to cutting-edge innovations and new-to-market products.
- Better chance to get noticed for your achievements by management.
- Gain exposure across the wider business, providing you with a more rounded experience.
Benefits of employing a graduate intern
Utilising the extensive channels of the University and its partners, the project unlocks opportunities to raise the visibility of your business to graduates whilst advocating the benefits of employment within an SME.
The right people with the right skills in your team will energise your business. The project provides access to determined graduates with fresh, innovative ideas and the drive to develop professionally.
Ultimately through this project, more talented graduates will be retained in Devon which in turn will help strengthen the wider local economy.
What the project offers
- Incentive payments of between £1,800-£3,600, for internships 6-12 months.
- Free advertising of your internships on regional and national graduate platforms.
- Promotion of your vacancies through exclusive University of Plymouth and strategic partner channels.
- Supported creation of an eye-catching advert.
- Coordination of the application process.
- No recruitment fee.
STEM Graduates into Business is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Utilising this funding, the project aims to:
- address SME innovation challenges through graduate internships focused on transformational business projects,
- raise leadership and management capability levels in SMEs, particularly regarding recruitment and employment,
- create a cohort of graduate employing SMEs across the area, leading to longer-term opportunities for graduates and their retention in the local economy.