Potential applicants should first identify a member of academic staff who may be a suitable supervisor, and contact them by email to discuss possible directions for a research proposal. The research proposal must be agreed by the supervisor before an application to study can be made. You can identify research areas of interest at the University by browsing our school’s research groups and looking at publication outputs from Plymouth-based researchers.
After a potential supervisor has been identified, in order to formally apply, please complete the online application form and ensure you upload the following documents:
- a brief research proposal and personal statement
- an up to date CV which includes dates with all gaps accounted for and the location of your activities
- two academic references
- a copy of your highest qualification certificate and final transcript of grades
- information on how you meet our English language requirement, which is 7.0 academic IELTS overall score with at least 6.5 in each component test area.
- if a non-UK national, a copy of the information page of your passport
- copies of any UK visas you previously held
- information on how you intend to pay your fees.
Please note our application deadlines. Overseas applicants must submit their application 4.5 months prior to the proposed programme start date. For Home applicants the deadline is 2.5 months prior to the proposed programme start date. There are three possible start dates per year, 1 October, 1 January and 1 April.
Submitting your application
Complete your application and upload supporting documents to the Doctoral College by completing our online application form.
Questions on the application process?
We're here to help. Please contact the Doctoral College team and we'll be happy to assist you.
You can view or download our postgraduate research admissions policy.
If you have a disability and would like further information on the support available, please visit our Disability Services website.
International Student Advice (ISA) provides support for our international students.