- works for themselves instead of (or alongside) working for an employer that pays a salary or a wage through the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) PAYE online service
- is responsible for paying their own taxes and national insurance contributions.
Business creation and growth service for students
We offer support to businesses, freelancers and the self-employed.
The Cube's services are open to students from all schools, all levels of study and graduates.
We offer advice, funding and support at every stage of your entrepreneurial journey; you can come to us with anything from an idea to a fully-fledged business. Our expert team can help you take your venture in freelancing, self-employment, business or social enterprise from your first innovative seed of an idea and help you grow and sustain it.
The activities and support we offer are designed just for you so that you can further develop both your creative skills and business acumen to maximise your future career, be your own boss or perform well in a modern workplace to get that promotion.
What we offer
- Join bespoke expert run workshops and events designed for you by experienced entrepreneurs who have ‘been there, done that’ and want to share their knowledge with you so you can run your own business… well.
- Drop in sessions offering quick answers to your business start-up questions and making sure you get that expert support and advice on your business.
- Business start-up and support appointments, meet that expert from HR, Law or a business adviser to provide you with the answers you need to move your business forward.
- Professional Entrepreneurial Mentoring Programme – experts sharing their practical advice on overcoming the hurdles involved in setting up in business.
- Business challenges and competitions with incredible prizes, Dragons Den, Pizza and Pitch, Flux and many more.
- Funding and finance support to develop potential business ideas into reality.
Self-employment and freelancing
Disclaimer: Please note: The Cube at University of Plymouth does not recommend or endorse any particular loan or service. Please think carefully before deciding to take on a loan or service which would incur a financial commitment or penalty.