Withdrawing from or suspending study

If you are considering withdrawing from the University or interrupting your studies for any reason, please consult your programme leader or the School PGR Coordinator for research degree students and seek advice if you are experiencing difficulties. Just talking to someone may be enough to put you back on track. Students choose to interrupt study or withdraw for a variety of reasons and we may be able to help.

If you decide that you don’t want to continue with your studies in this academic year, it is important that you correctly withdraw or interrupt study as there are academic and financial implications that you need to consider. For international students there will also be implications with regard to your visa.

You must complete the withdrawal or interrupt study form (download in Word or PDF format - see below), and post or take the form in person to your Faculty Office. Please note, if you wish to email this form we'll only accept it if sent from your University of Plymouth student email account as proof of signature. Do not, under any circumstances withdraw or interrupt study without completing this form. For research degree students, please follow the appropriate process via GradBook or contact the Doctoral College directly.

Academic implications

Depending on the date you withdraw or suspend study, you may be deemed to have had an attempt at the modules you are enrolled on. Further information on the cut-off dates by which you would be considered to have an attempt are detailed on our withdrawing from a module pages.

If you have extenuating circumstances for withdrawing or interrupting study you should complete an extenuating circumstances claim form now. A valid claim for extenuating circumstances could mean you do not lose an attempt at some or all of your modules. This is important as there is a maximum number of attempts any student can have at a module and second and third attempt marks are capped. Please refer to our extenuating circumstances policy for more information on making a claim.

Financial implications

For undergraduate and postgraduate taught students, you should read the withdrawal and interrupt tuition fee charging policy which will tell you the fee liability for this academic year. If you have any queries about this please contact your Faculty Office.

For research degree students, you should read the PGR Fee Amendments Policy. If you have any queries please contact the Doctoral College.

You must also inform Student Finance England/Student Finance Wales/Student Finance Northern Ireland/Your Funding Body directly that you have withdrawn or interrupted study. We recommend that you discuss this with them before you make your decision as this may affect your ability to receive funding in the future.

Once your withdrawal/interruption has been formally processed, the University will communicate this to the relevant funding body advising them of your last date of attendance as recorded on your withdraw/interrupt study form.

If you require any support with your student funding please contact UPSU:Advice.

International students

International students must attend an appointment with the International Student Advice (ISA) located in the International Student Gateway, Ground Floor, Roland Levinsky Building before withdrawing or interrupting study. The University is required to inform UK Visas and Immigration of any change in your enrolment.