Student Handbook

Please view our A-Z of useful information

Accident reporting

If you’re involved in an accident on campus, you’ll need to complete a University Accident Report Form from your faculty/school office or the Students’ Union. If you’re on placement working within NHS Trusts, follow the advice of that particular organisation and send a copy of any paperwork to the University safety officer. 

Contacts for immediate help:

Mobile phones

Please ensure that you switch off your mobile phone during any lecture, seminar, tutorial, practical session or assessment session. Mobile phones are not allowed in the Library, except in specifically designated areas

Mobile phones or pagers are not permitted in an examination room and you’ll be asked to leave them with the invigilators – the University cannot be held responsible for loss or damage. If you’re found to have a mobile phone or pager during an exam the University regulations on examination and assessment offences will be applied.


On the University campus you’re not permitted to skate, slide or ride on rollers, skateboards, wheels or other equipment in such a manner as to cause danger or nuisance or give unreasonable grounds for annoyance to other persons.


You're expected to take full responsibility for all personal possessions while on University premises, and insurance cover may be advisable. The University provides personal accident cover for field trips and travel outside the UK where these are integral to your programme of study, however you may want to make additional arrangements. If you’re going on a placement, you should: 

  • Check the liability insurance cover carried by your employer, 
  • Consider personal accident cover and cover for your personal possessions, 
  • Consider medical insurance cover, particularly if you are going outside the UK. 

Lost property

Lost property is normally kept for one month; after that it is disposed of to local charities. If you lose property on a University campus, please contact the number for your campus:

If you have lost anything during an exam, contact the Examinations Office on +44 1752 586399


In line with legislation, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed public spaces and enclosed work places within the University. You can get help to give up smoking from: