Advice for international students

Welcome to the International Student Advice team

As an international student, we appreciate that you may have difficulties at the start of your studies. It may be your first time away from home or it may be your first time in the UK experiencing some rainy weather and a different culture to what you're used to. You may miss home in the early days or you may be very happy to be away from home!

However you are feeling and whatever advice you need, International Student Advice (ISA) is here to give you the support you may need. We offer immigration advice when needed and can help you settle into University life by making friends and having a great experience.

We offer specialist student immigration advice for free. Immigration can be complex so we are here to help you interpret and make decisions on which visa you need to study in the UK and we can also help with your application. We can explain the rules and conditions associated with your visa, including attendance on your course, what part time work you can do and if you can do a placement.

We are authorised by the OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner), an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. We operate within the OISC Code of Standards when giving immigration advice to international students. We are also guided by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and the Association of International Student Advisers (AISA).

Please read our Client Care Agreement for international students before receiving advice from International Student Advice (ISA).

We liaise directly with the Home Office and our specialist advice includes:

Plus we provide guidance on:

If you are a new student, please look at our online ‘International Student Welcome’ below for arrivals information.

We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Plymouth.

Information for students coming to the University of Plymouth

Your career and working opportunities in the UK

Working part time during study, doing placements, internships and volunteering positions can significantly help you build new skills, make new contacts and apply your learning in a real-world, professional environment. There are lots of options available to international students who want to work during their studies or stay and work in the UK after their studies.

If you are a student with immigration permission and need clarification on what type of work you can or cannot do or how many hours you can work, you must contact our International Student Advice before taking up any employment.

Working part time during studies

Generally, if you are a Tier 4/Student visa holder you can work during term time for a maximum 20 hours per week during standard University semester dates and full time outside of these dates. The dates differ for undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students. Have a look at our Working in the UK during your studies with immigration permission for more detailed information.

Staying in the UK to work after studies

Have a look at our Visas for working after studies section as you may need to apply for a separate visa to your student visa. You can check whether you need a visa at UK Visas & Immigration. One visa which is particularly popular is the Graduate visa which provides an opportunity for international students who have been awarded their degree to stay in the UK and work, or look for work, at any skill level for 2 years, or 3 years for doctoral students.

Gaining work experience, looking and applying for work

We want you to secure a fulfilling and successful future when you graduate. To help you get there, we offer a comprehensive range of resources backed up with individual advice and guidance. You may already have some ideas about your future, or you may have no idea at all. Whatever your situation, we are here to help you explore, plan and compete for opportunities so that you can secure employment or further study after your course.

Have a look at our Careers Service for full information of the support and advice available including links for volunteering, becoming a student ambassador, mentoring, help with your CV (resume), placements and looking for graduate jobs….plus much more!

<p>Getty - 1132874986 -&nbsp;Cropped shot of a handsome young man working in a call center with a female colleague in the background</p>

Studying in the UK

There are many things to consider when you move to the UK to study – the difference in the style of teaching, the UK healthcare system as well the general culture shock in moving to a new country.

Discover more of our advice on studying in the UK

<p>Plymouth Hoe showing Plymouth Sound<br></p>