Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Nominated for SSTAR awards in the categories of "Inspirational Teaching" and "Sensational Programme Lead".
- Lead of the Plymouth GPU Research Center.
- Research interests in many aspects of Mathematics (see 'Research' section for details).
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year Technology programmes in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Stage Tutor for four of the above six programmes.
- Senior Personal Tutor.
- Member of the University Senate.
- One of two SoCEM disability champions, and a qualified mental health champion.
- Admissions Tutor for BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Foundation Year, and assistant Admissions Tutor for year 1 and above Mathematics programmes.
- Teaches across several schools, including service teaching, Mathematics degree students and 3rd year projects supervision.
- Regular speaker at outreach events, including several Mathematics Masterclasses in collaboration with the Royal Institution.
- PGCAP mentor for new staff.
- Applied Mathematics seminar joint organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then please contact me!
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
London Mathematical Society
Foundation Year Network
I am an external member of the Cybersecurity research group at the University of Abertay Dundee.
Grants & contracts
- Centre for Mathematical Sciences (CMS)
- M. J. Craven, D. I. Graham, Parallel Stochastic Solution of Portfolio Optimisation Problems with Cardinality Constraints, submitted (2018).
- M. J. Craven, J. Sharp, "The Mathematics Problem": A Plymouth Foundation Year Case Study, J. FYN 1 (2018), 23-35.
- G. James, D. M. Burley, N. Steele, R. Clements, J. W. Searl, P. Dyke, J. Wright, M. J. Craven, T. Reis, J. Stander, Advanced Modern Engineering Mathematics, 5th Edition, Prentice Hall (2018).
- D. J. Walker, M. J. Craven, Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Problems, in "13th Intl. Conf. Hydroinformatics" (G. La Loggia et al., eds.), EPiC Series in Engineering 3 (2018), 2250-2258.
- D. J. Walker, M. J. Craven, Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection, in "EvoApplications 2018" (K. Sim and P. Kaufmann, eds.), LNCS 10784, Springer (2018), 547-560.
- W. Dash, M. J. Craven, Exploring Botnet Evolution via Multidimensional Models and Visualisation, in STM 2017 (G. Livraga and C. Mitchell, eds.), LNCS 10547, Springer (2017), 72-88.
- M. J. Craven, Review of “Adversarial Risk Analysis”, J. Royal Stat. Soc. Series A 180 (2) (2017), 682. DOI: 10.1111/rssa.12259
- M. J. Craven, S. P. Martin, BBIOS: A Characterization of Evolutionary Algorithm Stability, in "GECCO 2017 Companion" (P. Bosman, ed.), ACM (2017), 17-18.
- M. J. Craven, D. I. Graham, Exploring the (Efficient) Frontiers of Portfolio Optimization, in "GECCO 2017 Companion" (P. Bosman, ed.), ACM (2017), 19-20.
- M. J. Craven, D. Robertz, An Evolutionary Approach to Solving Systems of Equations in Polycyclic Groups, Groups Complexity Cryptology 8 (2) (2016), 109-125.
- M. J. Craven, H. C. Jimbo, EA Stability Visualization: Perturbations, Metrics and Performance, in “GECCO 2014 Companion” (C. Igel, ed.), ACM (2014), 1083-1089.
- S. Pournouri, M. Craven, E-Business, Recent Threats and Security Countermeasures, Int. J. Elec. Security and Digital Forensics 6 (3) (2014), 169-184.
- D. Carmichael, M. Craven, M. Davidson, G. Richmond, Social Learning Space: Supporting Students Articulating from FE to HE by Utilising Social Media Technology, in “Proc. Intl. Conf. Enhancement and Innovation in HE” (2013).
- M. J. Craven, H. C. Jimbo, An EA for Portfolio Selection over Multiple Investment Periods with Exponential Transaction Costs, in "GECCO 2013 Companion, Holland" (C. Blum, ed.) (2013).
Reports & invited lectures
- (with J. Sharp) Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Update on a Work in Progress, FYNAC18, Nottingham, UK, 5th-6th July 2018.
- (with D. J. Walker) Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Design Problems, HIC 2018, Palermo, Italy, July 2018.
- (with D. J. Walker) Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection, EVOIndustry, Parma, Italy, 4th-6th April 2018.
- The Plymouth GPU Research Centre, Big Data Group, University of Plymouth, 19th March 2018.
- (with W. Dash) Exploring Botnet Evolution via Multidimensional Models and Visualisation, STM (track of ESORICS) 2017, Oslo, Norway, 14th Sept 2017.
- Exploring the (Efficient) Frontiers of Portfolio Optimization, GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany 15th-19th July 2017.
- BBIOS: A Characterization of Evolutionary Algorithm Stability, GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany 15th-19th July 2017.
- (with J. Sharp, M. Lavelle and C. Christopher) Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Enhanced Transition, FYNAC'17, Warwick, UK, 13th July 2017.
- Group Cryptography, University of Plymouth, 14th Dec 2016.
- Portfolio Optimisation in Financial Mathematics, University of Plymouth, 23rd Nov 2016.
- (with J. R. Woodward) The Mappings Project, University of Stirling, 28th July 2016.
- How to Break Cryptographic Schemes with Monte-Carlo Methods and High-Performance Computing, University of Stirling, 15th July 2016.
- Big Data: Machine Learning, Heuristic Methods and the Future of Cybersecurity in HPC Environments, Invited keynote funded by SICSA, Big Data in Cybersecurity Conference, Napier University, 10th May 2016.
- Monte-Carlo Attacks on Cryptographic Protocols, University of Hull, 27th January 2016.
- Information Security and Evolutionary Techniques, University of Stirling, 5th June 2015.
- A Smörgåsbord of Applied Mathematical Treats, University of Plymouth, 12th Nov 2014.
- EA Stability Visualization: Perturbations, Metrics and Performance, GECCO2014, Vancouver, Canada, 12th-16th July 2014.
- Evolutionary Algorithms in Group Theory with an Application to Public Key Cryptography, University of Plymouth, 27th Jan 2014.
- An Overview of Evolutionary Algorithms and their Applications, University of Plymouth, 19th Dec 2013.
- An EA for Portfolio Selection over Multiple Investment Periods with Exponential Transaction Costs, Poster and short paper at GECCO2013 Conference, Amsterdam, Holland, 6th-10th July 2013.
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses and outreach events, the most recent in December 2018.
- I regular lead sessions at Mathematical Sciences open and applicant days for undergraduate students.
- I am on the editorial board for Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing. Also I was a programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-2019.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography.
- I lead the Applied Mathematics research group on Computational Algebra and Symbolic Computation, and also the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.
I am always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in the areas specified in my research section, and in particular, Group-Theoretic Cryptology and Financial Mathematics. For informal enquiries, please contact me directly. To apply officially for a PhD position at Plymouth, please click here.