Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Artificial intelligence
- High-performance computing
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Awarded the University SSTAR Award for "Inspirational Teacher of the Year" (June 2021).
- Deputy Associate Head for Teaching and Learning (SECaM).
- Lead of the Plymouth GPU Research Center and the Big Data research group.
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year Technology programmes in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Member of the University Senate.
- School disability and mental health champion. Certified Mental Health First Aider.
- Applied Mathematics seminar joint organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then please contact me. (Current seminar details available on CMS seminars calendar and UoP Mathematical Sciences Seminar Page.)
- FHEA (Higher Education Academy)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Dundee)
- PhD in Mathematics (Manchester)
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Member of the London Mathematical Society
- Member of the Foundation Year Network
- MATH051 * Mathematical Methods I
- MATH054 * Mathematics for Computing
- MATH055 Mathematics I
- MATH2604 Mathematical Methods and Applications
- MATH3628 Final Year Mathematics Projects
- GS19 * Introduction to R for research staff and PhD students - Doctoral College
- Big Data (April 2019)
- Introduction to RStudio (January 2020)
- Lunchtime Course on Inference (August 2021)
all in conjunction with the Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab at the University of Plymouth.
Staff serving as external examiners
PhD External Examiner at the University of Greenwich (2019)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
PhD Internal Examiner at the University of Plymouth in March 2020.
Grants & contracts
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
Recent invited lectures:
- 2021 "Foundation Year Innovation, Challenges and Opportunities During a Pandemic", FYNAC21, Univ. Keele, Online. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2021 (with P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Single and Multi-Objective Optimisation of Benchmark Wind Farm Optimisation Problems", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2021 (with D. J. Walker and K. Tam) "Securing and Automating Offshore Renewable Engineering: Challenges in Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2020 (with S. Martin and J. R. Woodward) "A Structured Approach to Modifying Successful Heuristics", 12th Intl. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications, Online.
- 2020 "Inclusion for Foundation Year Mathematics Post Covid-19", FYNAC20, Univ. East Anglia, UK. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2020 (with M. J. Walter and D. J. Walker) "Visualising Evolution History in Multi- and Many-Objective Optimisation", PPSN 2020, Leiden, Netherlands.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi and P. Tziogkidis) "Constructing Class-Based Portfolios on Gulf Markets with Metaheuristics", OR-61, Kent, UK.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi) "Efficient Frontiers in Portfolio Optimisation with Minimum Proportion Constraints", GECCO 2019, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2019 (with J. Sharp) "Combatting the Deficit Model in Foundation Year Mathematics: Ethical Admissions and Inclusive Curricula", FYNAC19, Univ. Sussex, UK.
- 2019 "Group-Theoretic Cryptanalysis Using Hyperheuristics", Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- 2019 "Evolution of Cryptanalytic Attacks via Hyperheuristics", Big Data Group, Plymouth, UK.
- 2018 (with J. Sharp) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Update on a Work in Progress", FYNAC18, Nottingham, UK.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Design Problems", HIC 2018, Palermo, Italy.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection", EVOIndustry, Parma, Italy.
- 2018 "The Plymouth GPU Research Centre, Big Data Group", Plymouth, UK.
- 2017 (with W. Dash) "Exploring Botnet Evolution via Multidimensional Models and Visualisation", STM (ESORICS) 2017, Oslo, Norway.
- 2017 (with D. I. Graham) "Exploring the (Efficient) Frontiers of Portfolio Optimization", GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany.
- 2017 (with S. P. Martin) "BBIOS: A Characterization of Evolutionary Algorithm Stability", GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany.
- 2017 (with J. Sharp, M. Lavelle and C. Christopher) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Enhanced Transition", FYNAC'17, Warwick, UK.
- 2016 "Group Cryptography", Plymouth, UK.
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses and outreach events, the most recent in February 2020.
- I regularly lead sessions at Mathematical Sciences open and applicant days for undergraduate students.
- I review for the Journal of Operational Research (JORS), Expert Systems with Applications, and Applied Soft Computing, among others. I was a Programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and GECCO 2019, and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-date.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography and artificial intelligence.
- I lead the Big Data Group, and also the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.
I am always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in the areas specified in my research section, and in particular:
- Group-Theoretic Cryptology
- Financial Mathematics
- Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE)
- Artificial Intelligence (including evolutionary algorithms, machine learning and high-performance computing)