Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics (nominated for SSTAR awards in the categories of "Inspirational Teaching" and "Sensational Programme Lead").
- Lead of the Plymouth GPU Research Center.
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year Technology programmes in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Stage Tutor and Senior Personal Tutor for four of the above six programmes.
- Member of the University Senate.
- A School disability champion, and a qualified mental health champion. Certified Mental Health First Aider.
- Admissions Tutor for BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Foundation Year, and assistant Admissions Tutor for year 1 and above Mathematical Sciences programmes.
- Teaches across several Schools, including service teaching, Mathematics degree students and 3rd year projects supervision.
- Regular speaker at outreach events, including several Mathematics Masterclasses in collaboration with the Royal Institution.
- PGCAP mentor for new staff.
- Applied Mathematics seminar joint organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then please contact me! Details of current seminars are available on CMS seminars calendar and UoP Mathematical Sciences Seminar Page.
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
London Mathematical Society
Foundation Year Network
Staff serving as external examiners
PhD External at University of Greenwich (2019)
- Combinatorial enumeration methods for approximation of optimal solutions
- Hyperheuristics and machine learning for discovery of symbolic objects
- Offshore renewable energy
- Group-theoretic cryptanalysis
- Copulas and combinatorial optimisation in financial mathematics for business
- Real time visualisation and performance analysis of algorithms (particularly Evolutionary Algorithms and variants)
- Structure-preserving mappings and algorithms
- Mathematics education
I am an external member of the Cybersecurity research group at the University of Abertay Dundee.
Grants & contracts
- M. J. Craven, D. I. Graham, Parallel Stochastic Solution of Portfolio Optimisation Problems with Cardinality Constraints, submitted (2018).
- M. J. Craven, J. Sharp, "The Mathematics Problem": A Plymouth Foundation Year Case Study, J. FYN 1 (2018), 23-35.
- G. James, D. M. Burley, N. Steele, R. Clements, J. W. Searl, P. Dyke, J. Wright, M. J. Craven, T. Reis, J. Stander, Advanced Modern Engineering Mathematics, 5th Edition, Prentice Hall (2018).
- D. J. Walker, M. J. Craven, Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Problems, in "13th Intl. Conf. Hydroinformatics" (G. La Loggia et al., eds.), EPiC Series in Engineering 3 (2018), 2250-2258.
- D. J. Walker, M. J. Craven, Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection, in "EvoApplications 2018" (K. Sim and P. Kaufmann, eds.), LNCS 10784, Springer (2018), 547-560.
- W. Dash, M. J. Craven, Exploring Botnet Evolution via Multidimensional Models and Visualisation, in STM 2017 (G. Livraga and C. Mitchell, eds.), LNCS 10547, Springer (2017), 72-88.
- M. J. Craven, Review of “Adversarial Risk Analysis”, J. Royal Stat. Soc. Series A 180 (2) (2017), 682. DOI: 10.1111/rssa.12259
- M. J. Craven, S. P. Martin, BBIOS: A Characterization of Evolutionary Algorithm Stability, in "GECCO 2017 Companion" (P. Bosman, ed.), ACM (2017), 17-18.
- M. J. Craven, D. I. Graham, Exploring the (Efficient) Frontiers of Portfolio Optimization, in "GECCO 2017 Companion" (P. Bosman, ed.), ACM (2017), 19-20.
- M. J. Craven, D. Robertz, An Evolutionary Approach to Solving Systems of Equations in Polycyclic Groups, Groups Complexity Cryptology 8 (2) (2016), 109-125.
- M. J. Craven, H. C. Jimbo, EA Stability Visualization: Perturbations, Metrics and Performance, in “GECCO 2014 Companion” (C. Igel, ed.), ACM (2014), 1083-1089.
- S. Pournouri, M. Craven, E-Business, Recent Threats and Security Countermeasures, Int. J. Elec. Security and Digital Forensics 6 (3) (2014), 169-184.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
- 05/09/19 (with T. Alotaibi and P. Tziogkidis) Constructing Class-Based Portfolios on Gulf Markets with Metaheuristics, OR-61, Kent, UK.
- 15/07/19 (with T. Alotaibi) "Efficient Frontiers in Portfolio Optimisation with Minimum Proportion Constraints", GECCO 2019, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 11/07/19 (with J. Sharp) "Combatting the Deficit Model in Foundation Year Mathematics: Ethical Admissions and Inclusive Curricula", FYNAC19, Univ. Sussex, UK.
- 07/05/19 "Group-Theoretic Cryptanalysis Using Hyperheuristics", Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- 20/02/19 "Evolution of Cryptanalytic Attacks via Hyperheuristics", Big Data Group, Plymouth, UK.
- 06/07/18 (with J. Sharp) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Update on a Work in Progress", FYNAC18, Nottingham, UK.
- ~/07/18 (with D. J. Walker) "Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Design Problems", HIC 2018, Palermo, Italy.
- 05/04/18 (with D. J. Walker) "Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection", EVOIndustry, Parma, Italy.
- 19/03/18 "The Plymouth GPU Research Centre, Big Data Group", Plymouth, UK.
- 14/09/17 (with W. Dash) "Exploring Botnet Evolution via Multidimensional Models and Visualisation", STM (ESORICS) 2017, Oslo, Norway.
- 17/07/17 (with D. I. Graham) "Exploring the (Efficient) Frontiers of Portfolio Optimization", GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany.
- 17/07/17 (with S. P. Martin) "BBIOS: A Characterization of Evolutionary Algorithm Stability", GECCO2017, Berlin, Germany.
- 13/07/17 (with J. Sharp, M. Lavelle and C. Christopher) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Enhanced Transition", FYNAC'17, Warwick, UK.
- 14/12/16 "Group Cryptography", Plymouth, UK
- 23/11/16 "Portfolio Optimisation in Financial Mathematics", Plymouth, UK.
- 28/07/16 (with J. R. Woodward) "The Mappings Project", Stirling, UK.
- 15/07/16 "How to Break Cryptographic Schemes with Monte-Carlo Methods and High-Performance Computing", Stirling, UK.
- 10/05/16 "Big Data: Machine Learning, Heuristic Methods and the Future of Cybersecurity in HPC Environments", Invited keynote funded by SICSA, Big Data in Cybersecurity Conference, Napier University, UK.
- 27/01/16 "Monte-Carlo Attacks on Cryptographic Protocols", Hull, UK.
- 05/06/15 "Information Security and Evolutionary Techniques", Stirling, UK.
- 12/11/14 "A Smörgåsbord of Applied Mathematical Treats", Plymouth, UK.
- 12/07/14 "EA Stability Visualization: Perturbations, Metrics and Performance", GECCO2014, Vancouver, Canada.
- 27/01/14 "Evolutionary Algorithms in Group Theory with an Application to Public Key Cryptography", Plymouth, UK.
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses and outreach events, the most recent in July 2019.
- I regularly lead sessions at Mathematical Sciences open and applicant days for undergraduate students.
- I review for the Journal of Operational Research (JORS) and Applied Soft Computing, among others. I was a Programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and GECCO 2019, and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-2019.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography.
- I lead the Applied Mathematics research group on Computational Algebra and Symbolic Computation, and also the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.
I am always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in the areas specified in my research section, and in particular, Group-Theoretic Cryptology and Financial Mathematics. For informal enquiries, please contact me directly. To apply officially for a PhD position at Plymouth, please click here.