Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Artificial intelligence
- High-performance computing
Email email@example.com to enquire.
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Awarded the University SSTAR Award for "Inspirational Teacher of the Year" (June 2021).
- Deputy Associate Head for Teaching and Learning (SECaM).
- Co-leads the Plymouth Optimisation Group and the Big Data research group.
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year Technology programmes in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Member of the University Senate.
- Certified Mental Health First Aider.
- Applied Mathematics seminar joint organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then please contact me. (Current seminar details available on CMS seminars calendar.)
- FHEA (Higher Education Academy)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Dundee)
- PhD Mathematics (Manchester)
- Member, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Member, London Mathematical Society
- Member, Foundation Year Network
- MATH051 Mathematical Methods I (Module Leader)
- MATH054 Mathematics for Computing (Module Leader)
- MATH055 Mathematics I
- MATH056 Mathematics II
- MATH2604 Mathematical Methods and Applications (Module Leader)
- MATH3628 Final Year Mathematics Projects (Supervisor)
- GS19 Introduction to R for research staff and PhD students - Doctoral College (Module Leader)
- PROJ518 MSc Dissertation and Research Skills (Supervisor)
- Big Data (April 2019)
- Introduction to RStudio (January 2020)
- Lunchtime Course on Inference (August 2021)
- Algorithms and Algebra: A Journey Into Group-Theoretic Cryptology, Pakistan Virtual University (May 2022)
the majority in conjunction with the Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab at the University of Plymouth.
- Hyperheuristics and machine learning
- Group-theoretic cryptanalysis
- Copulas and combinatorial optimisation in mathematical modelling
- Real-time visualisation and performance analysis of AI algorithms (e.g., Evolutionary Algorithms)
- M. Walter: Understanding Optimisation Processes with Biologically-Inspired Visualisations (2nd Supervisor)
- A. Verulkar: Game-Theoretic Approaches Towards Insider Threat Detection and Mitigation (Director of Studies)
- F. Ben Salamah: Adaptive Awareness Raising and Cyber Security Training for Social Media Users (2nd Supervisor)
- P. Manikowski: Multi-Objective Optimisation of Floating Offshore Windfarms (2nd Supervisor)
- R. Soni: Hybridizing Metaheuristics with Machine Learning for Portfolio Optimization Problems (Director of Studies)
- J. Hancock: The Use of Quantum Computing to Solve Problems in Quantum Field Theory and Optimisation (3rd Supervisor)
- S. Ishaq Tijani: Using Homomorphic Encryption for Privacy Protection in VANETs (3rd Supervisor)
I am always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in the areas specified above.
Undergraduate and Taught Masters Student Research:
I have a track record of research with undergraduate and MSc students.
- 2022: What might happen to the global stock market after Brexit?
- 2021: Constrained portfolio optimisation
- 2020: Assessing the security of cryptographic primitives for infinite groups
- 2018: A comparison of exact and heuristic algorithms to solve the travelling salesman problem
- 2017: Exploring botnet evolution via multidimensional models and visualisation
- University of Plymouth (March 2020)
- University of Greenwich (Sept 2019)
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- Dr T. Alotaibi: Portfolio Optimisation Using Genetic Algorithms and Copula Financial Models (Director of Studies), 2022
Grants & contracts
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
Recent invited lectures and talks:
- 2023 Invited Talk and Panel Session, PGR Students into Teaching Conference, Univ. Plymouth.
- 2022 (with D. J. Walker and M. J. Walter) "An Explainable Visualisation of the Evolutionary Search Process", ECXAI Workshop at GECCO 2022.
- 2022 (with P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Many-Objective Optimisation of Offshore Wind Farms", 9th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2022 (with M. J. Walter, P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Explainable Optimisation of Offshore Wind Farms", 9th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2021 "Foundation Year Innovation, Challenges and Opportunities During a Pandemic", FYNAC21, Univ. Keele, Online. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2021 (with P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Single and Multi-Objective Optimisation of Benchmark Wind Farm Optimisation Problems", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2021 (with D. J. Walker and K. Tam) "Securing and Automating Offshore Renewable Engineering: Challenges in Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2020 (with S. Martin and J. R. Woodward) "A Structured Approach to Modifying Successful Heuristics", 12th Intl. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications, Online.
- 2020 "Inclusion for Foundation Year Mathematics Post Covid-19", FYNAC20, Univ. East Anglia, UK. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2020 (with M. J. Walter and D. J. Walker) "Visualising Evolution History in Multi- and Many-Objective Optimisation", PPSN 2020, Leiden, Netherlands.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi and P. Tziogkidis) "Constructing Class-Based Portfolios on Gulf Markets with Metaheuristics", OR-61, Kent, UK.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi) "Efficient Frontiers in Portfolio Optimisation with Minimum Proportion Constraints", GECCO 2019, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2019 (with J. Sharp) "Combatting the Deficit Model in Foundation Year Mathematics: Ethical Admissions and Inclusive Curricula", FYNAC19, Univ. Sussex, UK.
- 2019 "Group-Theoretic Cryptanalysis Using Hyperheuristics", Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- 2019 "Evolution of Cryptanalytic Attacks via Hyperheuristics", Big Data Group, Plymouth, UK.
- 2018 (with J. Sharp) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Update on a Work in Progress", FYNAC18, Nottingham, UK.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Design Problems", HIC 2018, Palermo, Italy.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection", EVOIndustry, Parma, Italy.
- 2018 "The Plymouth GPU Research Centre, Big Data Group", Plymouth, UK.
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses and outreach events, the most recent in February 2020.
- I regularly lead sessions at Mathematical Sciences open and applicant days for undergraduate students.
- I review for the Journal of Operational Research (JORS), Expert Systems with Applications, and Applied Soft Computing, among others. I was a Programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and GECCO 2019, and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-date.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography and artificial intelligence.
- I lead the Big Data Group, and also the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.