Dr Matthew Craven
Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
- Artificial intelligence
- High-performance computing
Email email@example.com to enquire.
- Lecturer in Applied Mathematics.
- Awarded the University SSTAR Award for "Inspirational Teacher of the Year" (June 2021).
- Deputy Associate Head for Teaching and Learning (SECaM).
- Lead of the Plymouth GPU Research Center and co-lead of the Big Data research group.
- Programme Manager for the (six) Foundation Year Technology programmes in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.
- Member of the University Senate.
- Certified Mental Health First Aider.
- Applied Mathematics seminar joint organiser - if you wish to give a seminar then please contact me. (Current seminar details available on CMS seminars calendar.)
- FHEA (Higher Education Academy)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Dundee)
- PhD Mathematics (Manchester)
- Member, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Member, London Mathematical Society
- Member, Foundation Year Network
- MATH051 Mathematical Methods I (Module Leader)
- MATH054 Mathematics for Computing (Module Leader)
- MATH055 Mathematics I
- MATH056 Mathematics II
- MATH2604 Mathematical Methods and Applications (Module Leader)
- MATH3628 Final Year Mathematics Projects (Supervisor)
- GS19 Introduction to R for research staff and PhD students - Doctoral College (Module Leader)
- PROJ518 MSc Dissertation and Research Skills (Supervisor)
- Big Data (April 2019)
- Introduction to RStudio (January 2020)
- Lunchtime Course on Inference (August 2021)
- Algorithms and Algebra: A Journey Into Group-Theoretic Cryptology, Pakistan Virtual University (May 2022)
the majority in conjunction with the Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab at the University of Plymouth.
Staff serving as external examiners
PhD External Examiner at the University of Greenwich (2019)
- T. Alotaibi: Portfolio Optimisation Using Genetic Algorithms and Copula Financial Models (Director of Studies)
- M. Walter: Understanding Optimisation Processes with Biologically-Inspired Visualisations (2nd Supervisor)
- A. Verulkar: Game-Theoretic Approaches Towards Insider Threat Detection and Mitigation (Director of Studies)
- F. Ben Salamah: Adaptive Awareness Raising and Cyber Security Training for Social Media Users (2nd Supervisor)
- P. Manikowski: Multi-Objective Optimisation of Floating Offshore Windfarms (2nd Supervisor)
- R. Soni: Hybridizing Metaheuristics with Machine Learning for Portfolio Optimization Problems (Director of Studies)
I am always happy to hear from prospective PhD students in the areas specified above.
I have a track record of research with undergraduate and MSc students.
- 2022: What might happen to the global stock market after Brexit?
- 2021: Constrained portfolio optimisation
- 2020: Assessing the security of cryptographic primitives for infinite groups
- 2018: A comparison of exact and heuristic algorithm to solve the travelling salesman problem
- 2017: Exploring botnet evolution via multidimensional models and visualisation
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
PhD Internal Examiner at the University of Plymouth in March 2020.
Grants & contracts
- Royal Academy of Engineering: "Transforming Engineering Student Outcomes", £94k (Co-Investigator).
- British Council: "Going Global Partnerships Undergraduate STEM Education in Pakistan", £2400 (Co-Investigator).
- PhD studentship, funded by the EPSRC ORE DTP, £50.75k (Co-Investigator).
- Invited researcher on the Cornwall Floating Offshore Wind Accelerator project, funded by the European Region Development Fund.
- PhD Studentship, funded by SECaM, £43.5k (Co-Investigator).
- NVIDIA: Award of NVIDIA GPU Research Center, £3.4k (Principal Investigator) - Eight School academic staff carried out interdisciplinary research, supported by hardware from NVIDIA. The centre has continued as a pan-school initiative in the guise of the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.
- Medicem: "Clinical Assessment of the WIOL-CF", £14k (Co-Investigator).
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Reports & invited lectures
Recent invited lectures and talks:
- 2022 (with D. J. Walker and M. J. Walter) An Explainable Visualisation of the Evolutionary Search Process, ECXAI Workshop at GECCO 2022.
- 2022 (with P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Many-Objective Optimisation of Offshore Wind Farms", 9th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2022 (with M. J. Walter, P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Explainable Optimisation of Offshore Wind Farms", 9th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2021 "Foundation Year Innovation, Challenges and Opportunities During a Pandemic", FYNAC21, Univ. Keele, Online. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2021 (with P. L. Manikowski and D. J. Walker) "Single and Multi-Objective Optimisation of Benchmark Wind Farm Optimisation Problems", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2021 (with D. J. Walker and K. Tam) "Securing and Automating Offshore Renewable Engineering: Challenges in Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security", 8th PRIMaRE Conference.
- 2020 (with S. Martin and J. R. Woodward) "A Structured Approach to Modifying Successful Heuristics", 12th Intl. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications, Online.
- 2020 "Inclusion for Foundation Year Mathematics Post Covid-19", FYNAC20, Univ. East Anglia, UK. Also, invited panel discussion.
- 2020 (with M. J. Walter and D. J. Walker) "Visualising Evolution History in Multi- and Many-Objective Optimisation", PPSN 2020, Leiden, Netherlands.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi and P. Tziogkidis) "Constructing Class-Based Portfolios on Gulf Markets with Metaheuristics", OR-61, Kent, UK.
- 2019 (with T. Alotaibi) "Efficient Frontiers in Portfolio Optimisation with Minimum Proportion Constraints", GECCO 2019, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2019 (with J. Sharp) "Combatting the Deficit Model in Foundation Year Mathematics: Ethical Admissions and Inclusive Curricula", FYNAC19, Univ. Sussex, UK.
- 2019 "Group-Theoretic Cryptanalysis Using Hyperheuristics", Queen Mary University of London, UK.
- 2019 "Evolution of Cryptanalytic Attacks via Hyperheuristics", Big Data Group, Plymouth, UK.
- 2018 (with J. Sharp) "Exploring the Frontiers of Foundation Years in Mathematics - An Update on a Work in Progress", FYNAC18, Nottingham, UK.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Visualising the Operation of Evolutionary Algorithms Optimising Water Distribution Network Design Problems", HIC 2018, Palermo, Italy.
- 2018 (with D. J. Walker) "Toward the Online Visualisation of Algorithm Performance for Parameter Selection", EVOIndustry, Parma, Italy.
- 2018 "The Plymouth GPU Research Centre, Big Data Group", Plymouth, UK.
Other academic activities
- I have taught many Royal Institute Mathematics Masterclasses and outreach events, the most recent in February 2020.
- I regularly lead sessions at Mathematical Sciences open and applicant days for undergraduate students.
- I review for the Journal of Operational Research (JORS), Expert Systems with Applications, and Applied Soft Computing, among others. I was a Programme Committee member for the GECCO-UP Workshop 2013 and GECCO 2019, and a Review Committee member for the VizGEC Workshop in 2015-date.
- I review EPSRC grant applications in cryptography and artificial intelligence.
- I lead the Big Data Group, and also the Plymouth GPU Research Centre.