Representing 3000 staff, researchers and students, Plymouth University’s Marine Institute is the first and largest such institute in the UK. We provide the external portal to our extensive pool of world-leading experts and state-of-the-art facilities, enabling us to understand the relationship between the way we live, the seas that surround us and the development of sustainable policy solutions. We are integrating our multidisciplinary expertise in marine and maritime research, education and innovation to train new scientists, engineers, policy-makers, artists, technicians and business managers of the future.
The staff represented by the Marine Institute are housed within four University faculties (science and engineering, arts and humanities, business, health and human sciences) and form the broadest portfolio of marine expertise within a single institute in Europe.
We hope you enjoy reading about the scope and the relevance of the research and facilities the Marine Institute represents and the University’s marine education and innovation activities. Together with our partners, we are responding to the challenge of providing science, education, technological innovation and business leadership for tomorrow’s world.
Marine Institute news
- University scientists contribute to government’s Future of the Sea report 22 March 2018
- Decreased oxygen levels could present hidden threat to marine species, study suggests 14 March 2018
- Government funding boost to British marine research 1 March 2018
- Marine policy expert addresses Parliamentary meeting on post-BREXIT fishing landscape 22 February 2018
- Enhanced education could help turn the tide on marine litter 21 February 2018
What's on events
- ASAB Easter Conference 2018 4 April 2018 - 6 April 2018
- South West Marine Ecosystems Conference 13 April 2018 09:30 - 16:30
- Marine, Health and Wellbeing 24 April 2018 18:00 - 20:30
- 15th MBA Postgraduate Conference 2018 21 May 2018 - 23 May 2018
- The Challenge of Science Leadership 12 June 2018 - 14 June 2018