From March 2021, the GOALD (Generating Older Active Lives Digitally) project has examined how to design and deliver digital resources to provide and engage older people in structured activity programmes and improve health and wellbeing.
The GOALD project talks are one of the ways we hope to stimulate discussions around technological innovation in the care of older people. Our multidisciplinary research team will work with our seven community partners
(Active Stirling, Sports Heritage Scotland, iSight Cornwall, Hearing Loss Cornwall, Devon and Cornwall South Asian Society, Nudge and Cornwall Rural Community Charity) and others to put on webinars which explore the use of digital resources, assistive technologies and reminiscence.
Several talks have been organised via Zoom and are now available online via the University of Plymouth YouTube channel. All of the events are by invitation only but if you're interested, please email Rose Wilmot for further information.
Wednesday 14 July | The Development of Possible VR Environments for VR Walking in Care Homes
- Speaker: Dr Robert Stone, Emeritus Professor at the University of Birmingham
- Speaker: Dr David Maidment, Lecturer at Loughborough University
Wednesday 25 August | Active Memories
- Speaker: Richard McBrearty, Project Director at Scottish Football Museum
- Speaker: Dr Chunxu Li, School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics at the University of Plymouth
Friday 1 October | Keeping Your Brain Healthy: The key to successful ageing
- Speakers: Dr Prem Pillay (neurosurgeon and former head of the National Brain Science Institute of Singapore), Effie Wang (Psychologist) and Dr Hannah Bradwell (digital health expert)
Friday 22 October | Digital Together: Outlining CRCC’s digital inclusion activities for older people
- Speakers: Jane Morgan and Jay Chapman from Cornwall Rural Community Charity
Tuesday 7 December | Digital Divide: The use of devices in care homes for older people
- Speakers: Yvonne Leathley, Senior Improvement Advisor at the Care Inspectorate
Tuesday 14 December | Meaningful Media Use and Communal Well-Being in Leisure Sport Cultures
- Speakers: Dr Veera Ehrlén, PhD graduate at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland