Staying safe

Safety advice for students

<p><b>Dinner and a show</b><br><br>The food at B-Bar (part of Barbican Theatre) is hugely popular. “I wouldn’t mind eating here for the rest of my life,” says Ankitha, tucking into a Thai Green Curry.<br></p>

Plymouth is an extremely vibrant and diverse city to live in and we want you to enjoy living here. 

We work closely with the local police to ensure that our campus and surrounding area is safe for our students. Keeping safe is important to each of us. Campus security and the local police are there to help but there are things that you can do to protect yourself and look out for others.

Telephone 101 for non urgent calls.
Telephone 999 for urgent calls
TEXT 80999 if you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired.

You can also give information anonymously to Crimestoppers 0800 555111

Personal safety

Stay safe and plan ahead

  • Walk in well-lit areas where there are lots of people.
  • Always stay alert.
  • Think about how you’ll be getting home before you go out.
  • If you order a taxi, make sure it is licensed. If the taxi driver doesn’t know your name – don’t get in!
  • Always carry your mobile, make sure it is charged and you have enough credit.
  • If you look and act drunk, you are more vulnerable – drink responsibly.
  • Friends look after each other, and make sure your mates know where you’re going.
  • If you find yourself in a vulnerable situation, whether you have run out of money, you're alone, or you feel in danger, use the Student Union Safe Taxi Scheme.

Safer relationships

Abuse in a relationship can happen to anyone. If someone tries to control you, hurt you or force you to do things you don’t want to - it is abuse. If you are unhappy or frightened about the way your boyfriend/girlfriend treats you, you don’t have to put up with it .

Responsible alcohol consumption

We know that drinking socially can be part of student life, however we’re working hard to shape new attitudes, recognising that excessive consumption of alcohol may detrimentally impact students’ health and academic success.

Find out more about our work to promote responsible drinking.

<p>Drinking glasses</p>

The good consent guide

Published by the Devon and Cornwall Police The Good Consent Guide tells you all you need to know about something that really matters.

<p>Devon and Cornwall Police, Good Consent Guide</p>

Burglary and theft - personal belongings

Burglary advice

Properties without security measures in place are ten times more likely to be burgled than those with simple security measures. The majority of burglars are opportunists who gain entry into your home through an open door or window. Top tips on preventing burglaries:

  • Keep all windows and doors locked and secure.
  • Keep valuable items, such as laptops and mobiles, away from external view.
  • Keep keys out of sight and in a safe place, do not leave keys in locks.
  • Make sure you have strong doors and windows – talk to your landlord if you have any concern.

Personal belongings

Keep your valuables in a safe place. If you don't, you could lose your photos, numbers, music, money or assignments in seconds.

  • When out keep your personal belongings close to you at all times.
  • Do not leave your bag unattended.
  • Be careful that your mobile, money or keys do not fall out of your pocket.

Push bikes

  • Get a good bike lock (D locks are the best, also look for “Sold Secure Ltd”)
  • Lock your bike to something secure e.g. a bike rack or a lamppost. Always lock your bicycle, even if you are leaving it for a couple of minutes.
  • Make the lock and bike difficult to manoeuvre when parked – keep the lock away from the ground and keep the gap between the bike and the lock small.
  • Lock all removable parts and do not leave any valuables in any saddle sacks.
  • Ensure your bike’s frame is security marked. Record and register your bike's model, make and frame number – you can do this by visiting BikeRegister.

Property marking

Why should I mark and register my property?

  • You don’t want to lose your assignments, music and photos etc.
  • Thieves don’t like marked property as it’s too risky for them to sell.
  • Marked and registered items are much harder to sell on.
  • You are ten times more likely to have stolen property returned once you mark and register it.

What property should I mark?

  • All valuable items in your house especially your laptop, mobile phone, bike, TV, iPod, camera and game console.

How should I mark my property?

Choose the most appropriate product to uniquely mark your property and mark it in more than one place. If using an ultra violet marking pen you should mark your item using your postcode and your house number or the first two letters of your house name. Items marked with ultra violet marking pens should be re-applied every year.

Registering my property

  • Create a record of all your items' serial numbers and unique markings and keep in a safe place.
  • You can create a record by registering all your property for free on
  • Registration allows all UK police forces to trace stolen property and return it to you.

For more information on property marking go to

Living in the community

The University of Plymouth and Devon and Cornwall Police ask you to be considerate of your neighbours. Whilst we want you to enjoy yourselves please try to keep the noise at home and in the residential areas to a minimum and be respectful to those who live in the streets around you. The communities are encouraged to report excessive noise and anti social behaviour to us and the University. Action will be taken against individuals who continue poor behaviour. The University of Plymouth has an excellent reputation, please ensure you do not bring this into disrepute.


Reporting crime

Reporting crime, even ‘low level’ anti-social behaviour, is important - the police and the City Council target their resources according to crime statistics.

The student portal (internal access only) has information on how to report a crime. If you have concerns that someone is being drawn into violent extremism, the city operates a referral process. ​

Telephone 101 for non urgent calls.
Telephone 999 for urgent calls
TEXT 80999 if you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired.