FAQs and useful information

Applicant FAQ

When can I apply for accommodation?

Once you have confirmed the University as your firm choice, you will receive an email containing a link to our accommodation portal, which will open for applications in early February and close just before results day. If you have already confirmed us as your firm choice, you will receive email notification once the portal opens. Once the portal closes, you will then only be able to apply for accommodation through clearing

How do I select my hall preferences?

Bookings are made on a first-come, first-served basis. You can select your room preferences during your accommodation application via the portal.

Am I guaranteed a hall room?

We guarantee a place in halls – either University-managed or from accredited private providers – to all undergraduate first-year students who make Plymouth their firm first choice and apply before the 18th June 2021 .

When will accommodation offers be sent?

Accommodation offers will be released from the end of April. To secure the room a payment of advanced rent is required. Please note that only the student intending to live in the room can sign the halls of residence license agreement.

I have disabilities or require specific requirements

If you have applied by the deadline specified on our website, we will try and allocate a room that meets your requirements where possible. Discover more about what the university can provide for Students with disabilities and medical conditions. If you are a postgraduate or require specific requirements you may be interested in reading our accommodation advice.

How do I find out moving day instructions for September 2021?

At the end of August you will receive an email containing your move-in day date and time slot, your flat number, route maps, parking, and hotel information. 

Can another person discuss my account with Accommodation Services?

During the application process, you will have the opportunity to add third party permission contact details. We can only talk to those people listed as the third party contact in the accommodation application due to data protection. Please note this is not the same as listing someone as your emergency contact as the third party permissions will not apply to them. If you wish to add someone as a third party contact you will need to do so in writing from the email address listed on your account, otherwise, we cannot discuss your details.

What if I am only studying during semester two?

Students who are studying at the University of Plymouth for semester two can make an application on our accommodation portal. Room offers will be sent to students in December and will be required to sign a licence agreement and the two weeks advanced rent within seven days.

The licence agreement will be for 24 weeks – 12 weeks' due in January and 10 weeks in April.

Information will be emailed to students once you have paid your advance rent and signed the licence. You will also be able to join your hall Facebook groups to meet your new neighbours before you arrive.

Life skills to develop before you move to university

  • How to budget for rent, food, shopping and social life
  • Basic cookery, cleaning and laundry skills
  • Social skills for living with new people
  • Understanding responsibilities such as paying bills and signing important documents such as housing contracts
  • Safety and personal security in a new city with new people
  • Research all of the facilities at University of Plymouth before you arrive.

Portal FAQ

How do I log in?

Please visit our accommodation portal. If it is your first time visiting the portal you will need to enter your email address you used for your UCAS application and student number. This will send an email to your account within 30 minutes with a link for you to set your password

I’ve forgotten my username/password. How can I log in?

  • Your accommodation portal username is your registered UCAS email address.
  • If you have forgotten your password, click forgot password to be sent a reset link

My password has not arrived in my inbox

  • High levels of traffic may delay the release of your email. Please wait another 30 minutes
  • Have you checked your junk folder?
  • Check the email address - make sure there are no spaces at the start or end of it. Please do not copy and paste the email address.

I’m getting an error message when I log into the portal

You need to have made Plymouth your firm choice before you can apply for accommodation. Our systems can take up to 72 hours to update with this information. If after this time you are still unable to log on please contact us on residencelife@plymouth.ac.uk

Additional requirements 

If you have any specific requirements, such as you are tall and require a longer bed, please add this information on the 'any other information' section on the halls application form. We cannot guarantee to meet all requirements. 

Resident FAQ's

I want to make a payment for my accommodation
When your payment is due you'll automatically receive an email asking you to log in to our accommodation portal and pay using a credit or debit card. On your account all your fees for the year will be displayed with the date they are due.

When are my payments due throughout the year?
2 weeks' advanced rent is due when you sign your licence agreement in April.
The remaining rent is split into three, due in October, January and April. These dates tie in with payments from the student finance company and are detailed in your license agreement.

I have forgotten my password
Please login to the accommodation portal using the email address you provided to UCAS. You'll be able to request a new password. Alternatively please contact Residence Life.

Where can I find my contract length and weekly rent?
Please see your student licence agreement sent to the email address you use to log into the portal.

Can I bring a bike/watersport equipment?
A limited number of bicycles and water-sports storage facilities are provided free of charge. Please arrange this with your hall reception upon arrival. Please note: Bicycles and water-sports equipment are not permitted in bedrooms or any communal areas for health and safety reasons. Bicycles must be stored in a bicycle storage room within designated buildings or the outdoor bicycle racks. If you have a bicycle it is essential to insure it and lock it. Bicycles stored in other areas, for example on railings etc, will be removed by the facilities management team. Personal diving equipment, including high-pressure diving cylinders, full or empty, cannot be stored in or around halls. University of Plymouth will not cover loss or damage to items in a halls storage area.

Can I bring my car with me?
We do not provide parking spaces for our halls of residence and parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are very good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital, and the train station is just a short walk from the University campus.

There are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders.

Please note: If you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we are sure you will want to avoid. So please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.

TV licence information

Do I need to pay for a TV licence?
Yes - if you are watching live TV, you must be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes, including download. Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes on either a television or via an online TV service, for example on Iplayer.  However, If there are TVs in your communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they are covered.

A TV licence is required for any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.To find out more, go to tvlicensing.co.uk/studentinfo

How can I buy a TV Licence?
There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.

Won't my parents' licence cover me?
Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer? 
If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

What if I don’t need a licence
If you don’t need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.

General accommodation information

All University-managed accommodation is non-smoking. You need to be at least five meters from any University building. 

When vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.

Can I register with a doctor?
You can register with a GP at the University Medical Centre on campus who work with two surgeries Beaumont Villa Surgery and Peverell Park Surgery. You may also call +44 1752 222341 or visit the University Medical Centre website for further information.

UPP Halls
If you are living in UPP Halls (Radnor, Pilgrim, Gilwell, Robbins, Mary Newman or Francis Drake, there is a guide to the buildings and services. You can also view your insurance cover details.

All residents have access to the University network at no extra charge. Please look at the Halls Guide for information about internet usage in halls.

Halls of residence addresses

  • Francis Drake Hall of Residence, James Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6AP
  • Gilwell Hall of Residence, Tavistock Place, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AP
  • Mary Newman Hall of Residence, Portland Square, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6DH
  • Pilgrim Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BT
  • Radnor Hall of Residence, 10 Gilwell Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BX
  • Robbins Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BZ

Please note: when vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.